Wonder if they will ever remaster ZZ Top? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if they will ever remaster ZZ Top?

Dave_G
11-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Warners takes forever to remaster stuff.

ZZTOP

Eurythmics

DEVO

I wish this stuff would get done, I'm ready for some hi-fi old school rock.

Dave

JDaniel
11-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Uh, what would be the purpose in that?

Are they guys who consider ZZ Top their fav. band really going to shell out bucks for a remaster? Or do you think they even know what a remaster is? Do you think most ZZ "fans" have even heard the classics like Rio Grande Mud or Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers?

Oops - guess that's stereotyping, and not very PC (something I've never been accused of anyway).

JD

Dave_G
11-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Oh, sure the old rockers want remastered ZZTOP!:cool:

Nothing like hearing "Tres Hombres" ultra loud and clean.:rolleyes:

There is a new ZZTop boxed set out now but it's 80 bucks at that Tower you visited here.:(

Dave

This is the first time I have ever done those smiliey things.:D

3LB
05-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Well, they've released a remastered Tres Hombres and Fandango (in their original mix) as of '07, but they haven't released anything else. I picked up a used copy of the 4-CD boxset, Chrome Smoke & BBQ, release around the time of this thread was started, and it does at least use original tape sources, i.e. no reverbed, drum machine remixes that fouled the Six-pack set ('85) and the subsequent CD releases of '90-'92. There may be one or two older songs I'd want that's missing from from this set, but considering that the length of '70s albums were around 35-40 minutes in length, at least three of these CDs contain a lot of good material. Still, I coulda done without a few of the songs included here, like The Moving Sidewalks stuff, and the stupid dance remixes tacked onto the end. Worth it if you can find one of these sets used, for cheap, just here they this band was meant to be heard.

Mr Peabody
05-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Didn't they remaster some of the ZZ Top stuff already? I bought Tejas and unfortunately it has the crappy new drum tracks. They should have left the drums alone. I wonder what the purpose of that was.

3LB
05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Didn't they remaster some of the ZZ Top stuff already? I bought Tejas and unfortunately it has the crappy new drum tracks. They should have left the drums alone. I wonder what the purpose of that was.

see above post

Well, they've released a remastered Tres Hombres and Fandango (in their original mix) as of '07, but they haven't released anything else.

everything else got the '80s treatment when it was released on CD except Deguello which never was included in the '80s boxset, ZZ Top Six-Pack.

Finch Platte
05-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Well, they've released a remastered Tres Hombres and Fandango (in their original mix) as of '07, but they haven't released anything else. I picked up a used copy of the 4-CD boxset, Chrome Smoke & BBQ, release around the time of this thread was started, and it does at least use original tape sources, i.e. no reverbed, drum machine remixes that fouled the Six-pack set ('85) and the subsequent CD releases of '90-'92. There may be one or two older songs I'd want that's missing from from this set, but considering that the length of '70s albums were around 35-40 minutes in length, at least three of these CDs contain a lot of good material. Still, I coulda done without a few of the songs included here, like The Moving Sidewalks stuff, and the stupid dance remixes tacked onto the end. Worth it if you can find one of these sets used, for cheap, just here they this band was meant to be heard.

Word.

Finch Platte
05-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey Dave- did you see this post? http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=33698&highlight=uriah+heep

Worf101
05-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I too just picked up "Chrome Smoke and Barbecue". Old Top is GREAT Top. Blue Jean Blues is one of if not my Fave electric guitar blues tune not played by Jimi or Stevie. Heard it on the X, Beer Drinkers Hell Raisers, Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings. My god what fire!!!!!

Worf