OZ: The Great and Powerful [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OZ: The Great and Powerful

markw
03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Let’s get this out of the way first: It’s a Sam Raimi Movie. You either “get him” or you don’t. Now that that’s out of the way, let’s move on.

It copies the format of the original (sequel?) in that it follows the original’s cinema graphic tricks to set the tone and endear itself to the fans of the original. In doing so, it establishes the character of the wizard as a rapscallion, a character that suits James Franco quite well. He plays a carney magician who seems to live his raggedy life narrowly escaping one predicament before falling into another.

Then, he winds up in Oz in a fairly familiar fashion and the tone is set. His appearance there seems to fulfill a prediction made years earlier and meets some new, and some familiar characters. There are a few plot twists, some great cinematography, lots of colors, and all of the familiar characters (and some new ones) make their appearance.

All three witches are called into play and work well, except I don’t think Mila Kunis (who I love) was quite right for this part. The origin wicked witch of the west is fairly well explained and actually casts her in a sympathetic light.

The ending was superb. As is to expected, the scalawag turns out to be a good guy after all and his means of defeating evil is really quite ingenious and does lend itself well into the story (sequel) we are all familiar with.

And, yes, Bruce Campbell does make a cameo. After all, it is a Sam Raimi movie.

<Ohttp://forums.audioholics.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gifWe enjoyed it. To try to analyze it as one would a documentary is like trying to justify cotton candy in nutritional terms. Just go, suspend disbelief, and enjoy the ride. We did do the 3D “mini” IMAX and it was OK, but there really was only a very few times the 3D made any difference. IOW, it doesn’t really add that much. The big screen does, though. WE love those “mini” IMAX screens.

We’ll buy the Blu-Ray.

JohnMichael
03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the review. I will see it. I loved the original and I would hate to admit how many times I have seen it. Hint as many times as the Sound of Music. I also love Wicked and play the soundtrack often. I like movies that are pure entertainment and from your review this is one for me.

Worf101
03-18-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of the original... is there any sangin' in this one?

Worf

dean_martin
03-19-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm not a big fan of the original... is there any sangin' in this one?

Worf

Hey, Worf. Have you seen Return to Oz from the mid '80s? I recall it being darker than the original with no singing. Apparently, it's truer to the Baum stories. I plan to revisit it soon.

And, thanks for the review, Mark.

recoveryone
03-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Worf there is little to no singing in this one. I saw it yesterday while here in Vegas during spring break with the girls. From a cinema stand point a great movie. The theater I saw it in (3D) was very good. Side note, if you bring your family to Vegas check out "the Orleans" it has everything without having to leave to go anywhere else. Ok back to the movie, best 3D effects I have seen and I am no fan of the format. I could see some of the less obvious effects go unotice on a large IMax screen, but I felt every opportunity to use 3D was taken advantage of.

3LB
03-30-2013, 05:25 PM
To try to analyze it as one would a documentary is like trying to justify cotton candy in nutritional terms.

awesome analogy