This had to be shared... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : This had to be shared...

ForeverAutumn
03-15-2013, 08:02 AM
I know you can relate. :)

Rae
03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm guessing that's a little tongue-in-cheek since most folks who post here seem to be stably partnered up, but it's an interesting topic for discussion. How many folks find that their partners share their taste in music? How important was that to you when you were dating around?

I have a friend who told me that she wouldn't open her legs for anyone who couldn't identify the cover of Aladdin Sane on sight. I think that's dumb. If I meet someone that I like and respect, I get excited when they haven't heard or seen the things that I love. It's an opportunity to share something awesome with someone who just hasn't happened to have been exposed to it before. I love that feeling. I mean, when you're making a mixtape for a crush for the first time, you're not trying to fill it with the completely familiar, right?

I'm curious to hear other peoples' stories.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
03-15-2013, 12:26 PM
I can't say that I wouldn't go out with someone who didn't love music the way that I do, but I will say that my husband's love of music was a huge part of my attraction to him (and still is). On our first date, we discovered that we had been to a lot of the same concerts. We met in 1990, but to this day we joke "remember that Rush concert we at in 1987?"...or whatever the concert happened to be.

A big part of getting to know each other was sharing music with each other. To this day we love to share our new musical finds with the other one. He's not quite as proggy as I am (which most people would consider a good thing) but still we find lots to enjoy together.

We're currently spending our Sunday mornings going through a 17 CD set of comps that ChipB (remember him?) was kind enough to send me.

Before I met Hubby, I was living in sin with another man. I came home one day to find him and his buddies listening to my albums. There was unprotected vinyl strewn all over the living room carpet. Empty album covers and sleeves were everywhere. I kicked out his friends, cleaned all my vinyl and carefully put everything away. Then I dumped his sorry ass shortly afterwards. Not just because of the albums, but they played a part in it.

nobody
03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm sending that image to the girl I go record shopping with all the time.

Jim Clark
03-18-2013, 06:14 AM
Once upon a time my wife said, "don't you think you have enough records and cds?". The topic never came up again. She couldn't care less about my collection but she knows it makes me happy, and is content to let me play whatever I want, whenever I want. If she cared and expressed an opinion one way or the other I might have to listen to some crap she liked. I've had a great set up here for the past 25 years.

Finch Platte
03-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Yeah, many moons ago my Dad gave me grief for how many CDs I had in my collection. I felt like saying, "Gee, would you prefer I collected bongs?"

:thumbsup:

MasterCylinder
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Before I met Hubby, I was living in sin with another man. I came home one day to find him and his buddies listening to my albums. There was unprotected vinyl strewn all over the living room carpet. Empty album covers and sleeves were everywhere. I kicked out his friends, cleaned all my vinyl and carefully put everything away. Then I dumped his sorry ass shortly afterwards. Not just because of the albums, but they played a part in it.

Bwaaaahahahaha............LMFAO ?