Orb Mod 1 Speakers are Fantastic! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Orb Mod 1 Speakers are Fantastic!

hershon
04-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Based on rave reviews on another board- there were like 50 positive things and no negatives, I took a chance (for me) and just bought Orb Mod 1 Speakers. These hand made speakers are only sold by Orb Audio (http://www.orbaudio.com) and retail no where else (they're not sold by Amazon or any place online I believe other than Orb and are in no stores and are so good they're never listed on Ebay or any other auction site) and are never (as far as I know) discounted. If you live in LA or NYC, the two honchos, will let you make an appointment, come over, bring whatever DVD's and CD's you want to sample and listen. As it is, I live only a short distance from the LA place and was knocked out. Anyway, too make a long story short, they sound fantastic even on my cheapo Koss C-220 DVD/receiver (which I probably will replace). They sell an even higher grade of speaker called Mod 2 for $1,099. They also sell an optional JVC DVD/receiver that is compatible with the speakers if one wants to buy a complete home theater system set-up. If your thinking of upgrading your speakers and/or buying new ones and want to get a great sound at a more than reasonable price, I strongly urge you to check these speakers out. Orb speakers rule!

nightflier
04-21-2004, 03:29 PM
...Orb speakers rule!

Have you listened to them w/o the subwoofer? How is the bass extension?

hershon
04-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Why would I listen to them without the subwoofer? What does bass extension mean? Nothing personal, as this board has been very helpful to me, and this isn't meant as a criticism, but it seems that most of the people who post or respond here, don't care about how something sounds like in terms of pure quality but in terms of technical gobblegook. I'd rather here someone describes something as really good and or really bad and if pressed/voluntered qualify that with an analogy or description that someone can relate too, not technical stuff that means nothing. All I'm interested on this board is input in buying product that will make CD's and DVD's sound better to my ears when listening not being told what technically is better. Its about the ears not the specs. If it helps answer your question, the sub sounds great with the speakers, I don't know how to articulate thatany more.

nightflier
04-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Why would I listen to them without the subwoofer? What does bass extension mean?

The reason I asked, is because in many small speaker setups (such as Bose), the sub does most of the work. So a really marginal pair of small speakers can sound good because what one really hears is the sub. If these speakers are indeed high quality, they should be compared to other quality speakers w/o using a sub.

So my question is: how good do these speakers sound on their own? Is the bass noticeably there?

hershon
04-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Sorry Nightflier I had a bit of a hard day and I might have been a little harh on my reply to you. I'll listen to themwithout the sub tommorow and let you know what I think, Nightfkier is the title of a great grade B movie you can get on video that stars Migel Ferrera and was written or inspired by Steven King that you night want to check out.

The reason I asked, is because in many small speaker setups (such as Bose), the sub does most of the work. So a really marginal pair of small speakers can sound good because what one really hears is the sub. If these speakers are indeed high quality, they should be compared to other quality speakers w/o using a sub.

So my question is: how good do these speakers sound on their own? Is the bass noticeably there?

nightflier
04-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Haven't seen the movie. I'll check it out. I actually picked the name based on a song from Rush, one of my favorite bands back when I was younger, "Fly by Night."

So how do they sound w/o the sub? Do you have a seperate set of speakers to compare them to?