Thinking of moving on to HT separates... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving on to HT separates...

Worf101
03-14-2013, 05:20 PM
I've an older Onkyo 905 and lately I've been toying with upgrading. I've looked at the latest Onkyo offerings and might go with a NOS 5090 or the current 3010. But for about a grand more I could go with a separate pre-amp and power amp outfit. Anyone else go this route? Is it worth it? Would I gain anything except more cables cluttering up my AV furniture?

Also what's the deal with balanced XLR inputs and outs.

Worf...

Smokey
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Lower sound to noise S/N ratio :)

In unbalance systems (RCA/coax cable), the noise and interference is routed to receiver's ground via the cable shield which does a ggod job depending on quality of shielding.

In balanced systems (twisted pair), the noise is canceled via Differential circuitry in balanced XLR input and outputs. Balanced system are better for noise protection, especially if the cable is long.

blackraven
03-15-2013, 08:11 AM
For the price of an Onkyo 5090, I would rather have one of the NAD HT receivers that have modules that you can replace as new formats or upgrades come along. It kind of future proofs it. Going with separates can also future proof the amp. As all you would need to do would be replace the preamp.

T 757V2 A/V Surround Sound Receiver - NAD Electronics (http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T-757V2-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver)

Worf101
03-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks gents. I did some research on XLR. I've been using em in microphone cords since Nixon was President, now I know why. I did learn though that for short runs RCA cabling is fine. Also if you're going XLR you have to use it in the entire stream (source, pre, power amp then speaks) to get the any true benefit from said hook up.

BlackRaven, I looked at the NAD (couldn't find any price on that web page). How exactly do you change the modules? Open it up? Send it back for upgrading? How's it done? Interesting concept. I'd have to see how they hold up long term before tying myself to a company I've never used before. I did that with "Carver" and have a $400 set of paperweights rusting on my back porch.

Worf

blackraven
03-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Worf, the modules pull out of the back. Watch this video-

NAD Electronics introduces Modular Design Construction - NAD Electronics (http://nadelectronics.com/videos/4/NAD-Electronics-introduces-Modular-Design-Construction)

I just checked, i am not sure if they are still making this version of the T757V2. I see that they have a master series AV processor with the modular design but it is $4500

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
I've an older Onkyo 905 and lately I've been toying with upgrading. I've looked at the latest Onkyo offerings and might go with a NOS 5090 or the current 3010. But for about a grand more I could go with a separate pre-amp and power amp outfit. Anyone else go this route? Is it worth it? Would I gain anything except more cables cluttering up my AV furniture?

Worf...

Worf, while I would never tell anyone NOT to go with separates, doing so really depends on how loud your listen to your movies, and the size of your room. If your HT room is really big, and you listen at near reference levels, then separates more than make sense when you compare value/performance. If you are not trying to blast your ears off, and your room is small to moderately sized, then the amps in the 5090 have more than enough juice. It is an ultra 2 receiver, which means it can playback at reference level in room sizes up to 4,000 cubic feet. That more than enough juice for the average listener.

I have a modular based A/V processor. Unless it is well supported(mine happens to be), then you are at the mercy of the companies upgrade timing - which can leave you behind the curve. Since my processor is hooked to the internet, Grass Valley can update the source codes of all decoding formats at any time. My DTS and Dolby(and all of its variants) format decoding has been updated 4 times this year alone as they found improvements to increase performance.

Worf101
03-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Sir, Smoke and B-Raven. You guys are aces. Got all the information I need to make a decision. Will pull the trigger in a couple of months or so.

Worf

Mr Peabody
03-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Just for your viewing pleasure you might take a look at the Marantz A/V separates, the 7701 processor and I'm not sure the model of the current multichannel amp. I've been happy with mine and haven't heard any negatives on newer generations. I have heard the current amp has been beefed up some from the older MM8003. Any way Marantz can get you into separates with good performance for $2500.00 or less.

Worf101
03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Just for your viewing pleasure you might take a look at the Marantz A/V separates, the 7701 processor and I'm not sure the model of the current multichannel amp. I've been happy with mine and haven't heard any negatives on newer generations. I have heard the current amp has been beefed up some from the older MM8003. Any way Marantz can get you into separates with good performance for $2500.00 or less.

Thanks Peabody... I've looked at the Marantz' often over the years, particularly in that they're in the Audio Advisor catalog I git regularly. As I get older I find familiarity is very important to me in home electronics. If I go Marantz I'd have to learn the in and out's of a whole new brand and all of it's features and quirks. Making to move to separates would be hard enough add un-familiarity on top of that and I'll be nuts in no time. Thanks for the nudge though.

Worf

Mr Peabody
03-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Worf, I understand your reasoning for sticking with one brand, most set ups are similar though it's just the menu may look different. If you look back in my posts I have always supported Onkyo feeling their amp sections being more robust than most of their mass market competition. So following my own advice not long ago I picked up a 515 receiver to drive Revel in-walls for one of our rooms, even after firmware updating I still have to occasionally reboot the receiver to get it to bypass video. My friend who is an installer says the latest processor is quirky like that as well and pretty much quit selling them unless that's what was absolutely requested. I only mention this as something to consider before making your next purchase, no matter what alternative you decide you might look at. I continue with the 515, mainly because the money has already been spent and seems like an exchange of units wouldn't help. On the plus side the 515 was reasonably priced and loaded with features.

E-Stat
03-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Would I gain anything except more cables cluttering up my AV furniture?
Almost two years ago, I retired a NAD receiver to the bedroom and purchased new Emotiva separates. I did so for the same reasons I've been using separates in the music systems for 40 years - upgrade flexibility and isolation of high powered amps from low level control circuitry.

The new amp delivers 5x300 watts into the four ohm load of my speakers. While I don't regularly listen any louder than before, it is nice to crank an occasional movie and not exceed the headroom. It also allows you to place heavy amps on the floor or behind the speakers.

Balanced connections allow you to run longer cables. You can move the power amp completely out of the room while leaving the processor in sight for control purposes.

Swish
04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks Peabody... I've looked at the Marantz' often over the years, particularly in that they're in the Audio Advisor catalog I git regularly. As I get older I find familiarity is very important to me in home electronics. If I go Marantz I'd have to learn the in and out's of a whole new brand and all of it's features and quirks. Making to move to separates would be hard enough add un-familiarity on top of that and I'll be nuts in no time. Thanks for the nudge though.

Worf

I just got my new Marantz AV 7701, and I mean TODAY! I got it for a great price ($1325 with free shipping and no tax) on ebay, and can't wait to set it up tonight.
I'll be sure to report back with my results. I am retaining my wonderful Adcom 5 and 2 channel amps.

I'm selling my Rotel RSP 1098, which as the HDMI 1.1 upgrade (doesn't support audio), if anyone (cough, cough), is interested.

But on a serious note, separates are a great way to go because you can upgrade each component as needed. Just my 2 cents.