A way to make RCA/S-Video Compatible on Modern TV's without those type of inputs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A way to make RCA/S-Video Compatible on Modern TV's without those type of inputs?

vyacheslav
03-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Hello,

This is my first post, and I look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge here. Here is my situation, and any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated:

I received a Sony Bravia 42" LED EX440 HDTV as a Christmas gift. It's a great TV, but the problem I have is that it only has 3 inputs (2 HDMI, 1 Component RGB), along with the RF (Coaxial) Input.

I have several older video game systems (Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast) that only have RCA inputs (Dreamcast has S-Video or RCA). I haven't yet figured out a way to hook them up to the TV. I know the older signals won't be in HD, but here is what I have tried so far:

I purchased a JVC JX-S111 Component Video AV Selector used from ebay. This unit has 5 inputs (3 Component and 2 RCA/S-Video), along with 2 outputs (1 Component, 1 RCA/S-Video). I thought I could run 2 of the 3 older systems above using the 2 RCA/S-Video inputs (along with a Playstation 2 and a DVD Recorder via the Component Inputs) and output all the signals via the Component Video Out. The seller said I could, but upon reading the included owner's manual, I noticed that the Component Inputs could only be used with Component Outputs, and the RCA/S-Video Inputs could only be used with the RCA/S-Video outputs. So I am back to Square One again, as I have no RCA or S-Video input on my HDTV.

I do have an older 5 input AV Selector Switch that has 5 RCA/S-Video Inputs and 1 RCA/S-Video Output that also has a built in RF Modulator. I guess I could technically connect this unit to the TV via the RF (Coaxial) connection, but that kinda defeats the purpose of A) an HDTV and B) Using RCA and S/Video connections. Also, I have my Digital Cable Box and Blu-Ray player hooked up to the 2 HDMI inputs, but neither of those units offer any inputs, they are output only.

Other than not using the video game systems, or getting a new TV, are there any other options I have? Is there such a thing as a converter box or other multiple input device that will convert my RCA/S-Video signals to Component Video or HDMI, even if the picture quality is still standard (not improved)?

Thanks for your time.

V

Mr Peabody
03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
If you aren't worried about picture quality your RF switcher is probably your best bet. There may be some type of switcher available but I don't know of any off the top of my head. You could get a home theater receiver but then not only do you need the receiver but the speakers to go with it. Or, you could use a sound bar but it would require careful shopping to make sure it has the inputs you need and will convert it to output via component or HDMI. On the plus side the receiver and speakers are fun for movies and music.

pajr2179
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
The other option would be to buy a receiver that enables you to send all signals (rca, svideo) out through the component video output and get a simple pair of speakers to run for sound.

pajr2179
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
I didn't even see the previous post..lol

JoeE SP9
04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Try this switcher. It automatically converts from S-Video to composite and vice versa. See link below.

Amazon.com: Cables To Go 28750 4 x 2 S-Video/Composite/Stereo Audio Selector Switch: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032ANC8M/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item)

markw
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Try this switcher. It automatically converts from S-Video to composite and vice versa. See link below.

Amazon.com: Cables To Go 28750 4 x 2 S-Video/Composite/Stereo Audio Selector Switch: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032ANC8M/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item)Unfortunately, that's not going to solve his problem. Composite is simply another way of saying yellow RCA jack video.

He needs to go up a few levels to RGB component or HDMI. So far, an upconverting receiver seems to be the only way I can think of.

Or, a standalone device that can convert to composite/S-video to RGB component or HDMI would do the trick. This thing (http://www.ambery.com/costorgrgbco.html) looks like it might do the trick.