Hear my system now... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hear my system now...

StevenSurprenant
03-10-2013, 07:27 PM
DIY speakers playing vinyl album - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3JySKgqagQ&feature=youtu.be)

Listen at your own risk.

These are my DIY speakers running off a 6 watt t-amp and playing vinyl.

LeRoy
03-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Good job and very cool. Hey, which speakers were they...on the wall or the little floor standers? Of course listening over my MAC computer speakers has it's limits but from what I could hear from your speakers...lots of clarity and balance.

JohnMichael
03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Who is the artist? I do not have very good computer speakers but the high vocal notes sounded a little hard.

StevenSurprenant
03-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Good job and very cool. Hey, which speakers were they...on the wall or the little floor standers? Of course listening over my MAC computer speakers has it's limits but from what I could hear from your speakers...lots of clarity and balance.

I know they are hard to see, but you could see a little of one of them on the left. The bottom is beige and the tweeter sits on top. It's over 6 feet tall (ribbons). The ones on the wall are Magnepans (they were off).

StevenSurprenant
03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Who is the artist? I do not have very good computer speakers but the high vocal notes sounded a little hard.

That was Celine Dion. That hard sound is a little of how it was recorded. How it sounds pretty much depends on the recording. I'm not saying that the system isn't at some fault, but I have many other recordings that are very smooth.

I also noticed that when I am above the seating position, as was the camera, it gets a little brighter sounding. I did another recording and the bass is missing for the most part on computer speakers. It's much better using headphones.

JohnMichael
03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
That was Celine Dion. That hard sound is a little of how it was recorded. How it sounds pretty much depends on the recording. I'm not saying that the system isn't at some fault, but I have many other recordings that are very smooth.

Oh I had no idea it was Celine.

StevenSurprenant
03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Oh I had no idea it was Celine.

Hey John, I'm not looking for accolades, but I thought it would be fun to actually hear someone else's system instead of just talking about it.

StevenSurprenant
03-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Here's another video of my system...

DIY speakers playing vinyl album - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OdmyYrNdg)

BTW, On my computer speakers it sounds not-so-good, but headphones sound pretty good.

Feanor
03-11-2013, 04:22 AM
DIY speakers playing vinyl album - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3JySKgqagQ&feature=youtu.be)

Listen at your own risk.

These are my DIY speakers running off a 6 watt t-amp and playing vinyl.
Good job on the Newform/Seas speakers in particular.

JohnMichael
03-11-2013, 05:03 AM
I would like to see pictures of your speakers. There are too many variables to have an appreciation of the sound.

StevenSurprenant
03-11-2013, 06:24 AM
I would like to see pictures of your speakers. There are too many variables to have an appreciation of the sound.

You can see them in the second video I posted. This did not sound good on my computer speakers, I had to use headphones to get a decent sound. Actually, I'm rather surprised that the recording did as good a job as it did, but it's still not completely faithful to what I hear here. At least you can hear the clarity which is what matters to me the most. Also, I think the vinyl sounds pretty good too.

DIY speakers playing vinyl album 2nd song - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OdmyYrNdg)

They are a work in progress as you can see. Originally I used two woofers, but that was too much for the tweeter. Keep in mind that these only cost me about $600 not counting the crossover parts.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM

I do have decent computer speakers(5.1 system with a 10" sub), and you are very right. Not only the vocals, but it sounds like the entire system is midrange and treble heavy, and very bass light.

This system screams for a high quality subwoofer(or two) in the hands of a knowledgeable person.

StevenSurprenant
03-12-2013, 04:49 AM
You know who's speakers I'd like to hear is Poultrygeist. I find his DIY's very interesting...

frenchmon
03-12-2013, 05:07 AM
You can see them in the second video I posted. This did not sound good on my computer speakers, I had to use headphones to get a decent sound. Actually, I'm rather surprised that the recording did as good a job as it did, but it's still not completely faithful to what I hear here. At least you can hear the clarity which is what matters to me the most. Also, I think the vinyl sounds pretty good too.

DIY speakers playing vinyl album 2nd song - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OdmyYrNdg)

They are a work in progress as you can see. Originally I used two woofers, but that was too much for the tweeter. Keep in mind that these only cost me about $600 not counting the crossover parts.

Nice...that a nice huge tweeter. Which Album is that by her?

StevenSurprenant
03-12-2013, 05:18 AM
I do have decent computer speakers(5.1 system with a 10" sub), and you are very right. Not only the vocals, but it sounds like the entire system is midrange and treble heavy, and very bass light.

This system screams for a high quality subwoofer(or two) in the hands of a knowledgeable person.

Like I said, the recording isn't a perfect rendition of what I hear at home. The bass is what's missing the most in the recording. I suppose that would be the fault of the camera (?). So you're right that on Youtube it sounds tilted towards the top end.

Still, you have to admit that, especially for the cost, this system is not lacking in transparency. Another thing the recording doesn't show is the soundstage. Here's it's very 3 dimensional, the recording only hints at it. Oh, the other thing too is that the recording doesn't show the extent of the transparency. It also, is better live, but I suppose that's the nature of Youtube and/or the camera.

BTW, even though the bass is decent "live" I do plan to build a sub in the future. It will be sealed and servo when I get around to it. There are only a few recording that I own that need the extra octave.

Another thing about the bass in this system is that it's very dynamic, (depending on the recording).

I expected you to say worse things so I take your review as a compliment. Thanks T.

StevenSurprenant
03-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Nice...that a nice huge tweeter. Which Album is that by her?

The album title is "C'est Pour Toi"

recoveryone
03-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Sounded very airy and clear, another recording of another artist could help make the bass come out. Just heard second video, much better and balanced than the first. Big thumbs up on the DIY

blackraven
03-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Great job and it sounds great. You can tell that there is a lot of detail from the recording.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Like I said, the recording isn't a perfect rendition of what I hear at home. The bass is what's missing the most in the recording. I suppose that would be the fault of the camera (?). So you're right that on Youtube it sounds tilted towards the top end.

I also know that youtube video's use heavy compression in the audio, and that can make the sound very bright.

Still, you have to admit that, especially for the cost, this system is not lacking in transparency. Another thing the recording doesn't show is the soundstage. Here's it's very 3 dimensional, the recording only hints at it. Oh, the other thing too is that the recording doesn't show the extent of the transparency. It also, is better live, but I suppose that's the nature of Youtube and/or the camera.

I am sure it is better live, it was not all that bad recorded. But a single microphone does not just capture the sound of the speakers, but it also captures the sound of the room as well. The quality you got for the price makes your system an excellent value.

BTW, even though the bass is decent "live" I do plan to build a sub in the future. It will be sealed and servo when I get around to it. There are only a few recording that I own that need the extra octave.

Another thing about the bass in this system is that it's very dynamic, (depending on the recording).

I expected you to say worse things so I take your review as a compliment. Thanks T.

Take it as a compliment, you deserve it. I am not as petty as you seem to think I am. While our ideas on system performance, setup, tuning, and calibration are polar opposite, good sound is good sound.

recoveryone
03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
:yesnod: :thumbsup: