Moody Blues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moody Blues

Finch Platte
03-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Yeah, I know there're fans in here, just wanted to let you know they're on the cover of the latest Prog mag.

New Issue Of Prog On Sale Today! | Uncategorized | Prog Magazine (http://www.progrockmag.com/news/new-issue-of-prog-on-sale-today-2/)

Prog legends The Moody Blues grace the cover, in the wake of the soon-to-be-released, career-spanning 17-CD box set Timeless Flight. In their most revealing interview ever, Justin Hayward and co reveal a career that included popping pills with The Who, jamming with Jimi Hendrix, living it up with Jefferson Airplane and hanging out with The Beatles.

Elsewhere Greg Lake reveals he used to live in a 15-bedroom mansion, Barclay James Harvest give us details about their forthcoming album and The Reasoning‘s Rachel Cohen endures a Brainstorm grilling.

And that’s not all!

Legendary producer and musician Alan Parsons lifts the lid on the making of Pink Floyd’s masterpiece The Dark Side Of The Moon, now celebrating its 40th Anniversary.

Finland’s Von Hertzen Brothers reveal the inner secrets of their Nine Lives.

We have a complete guide to HRH Prog, which of course takes place at the Magna Science Centre on April 6 & 7.
Focus reveal the inner workings of their 1971 masterpiece Moving Waves in the final The Albums That Built Prog. What’s replacing it? Wait and see next month.

Guitar legend Richard Thompson talks us through his new switched on album Electric.

Amplifier have signed to Kscope and released Echo Street. Some are saying it’s their finest album yet!

Henry Fool explain why we had to wait twelve years for album number two!

We look at the pairing of Gordon Giltrap and Oliver Wakeman, which has resulted in the wonderful Ravens & Lullabies album.

We have fun in the studio with Lifesigns, the new prog trio featuring John Young, Nick Beggs and Frosty Beedle.
Both Sanguine Hum and Godsticks discuss album number two.

And we ask the question: how prog were Blue Oyster Cult?

Hmmm, that looks like an issue I'm gonna skip. :crazy: Zzzzzzz. The exclamation points aren't helping, Prog.

Ooh, the new Steven Wilson disc is reviewed. Anybutty wanna guess Prog gushes all over it? :rolleyes5:

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2013, 06:47 AM
I am so done with Steve Wilson's solo stuff. He's a huge snorefest IMO. And I don't really consider the Moody Blues prog.

There have been a few issues of that mag that I've wanted to buy but it's $25 here (import)! $25 for a magazine is not happening in my world.

Finch Platte
03-09-2013, 09:49 AM
I am so done with Steve Wilson's solo stuff. He's a huge snorefest IMO. And I don't really consider the Moody Blues prog.

There have been a few issues of that mag that I've wanted to buy but it's $25 here (import)! $25 for a magazine is not happening in my world.

Whaaaaa? It's an import in the US, too, but it's 'only' $15 here. Why do you guys jack the price up so much?

Does your issue come with a free hockey puck instead of a compilation CD?

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Does your issue come with a free hockey puck instead of a compilation CD?

There's a difference?

Finch Platte
03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
There's a difference?

Badump spishhhhhhh.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5IWl-cAPUIs/SQnyZxRle5I/AAAAAAAAA08/EVHGDFVGkOA/s400/The+Hockey+Puck.jpg

Oh, and hey, thanks for the spam email. :sosp:

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Oh, and hey, thanks for the spam email. :sosp:

It was my pleasure. I hope you enjoyed it. :D

I'm in the process of changing my email address to a provider with higher security. I'll send you my new addy once it's confirmed.

Finch Platte
03-10-2013, 05:42 AM

I don't consider the MBs prog, either, and I never paid them much attention anyhoo.

I think you'll enjoy SW's The Raven That Refused To Sing... I spun it last night once and enjoyed the hell out of it, and I wasn't a fan of his earlier solo effarts (sic intended). It's more like old-school prog, in my HO.

Prog Ears thread: New Steven Wilson Album Details (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/821-New-Steven-Wilson-Album-Details)

ForeverAutumn
03-10-2013, 06:00 AM
I bought Grace For Drowning against my better judgement because of rave reviews around PE and it bored me to tears. I should have trusted myself. I'll see if BarryL has it and give it a trial run before purchasing it. The reviews give me hope, but I've been burned by Wilson before.

I also didn't think much of PT's The Incident. It had some great moments, but overall they were few and far between IMO. They may have just run their course with me.

dingus
03-10-2013, 10:48 AM
from 1967-1972 the Moody Blues were most definitely prog, being one of the bands that helped to defined the genre.

MasterCylinder
03-11-2013, 04:28 AM
I bought Grace For Drowning against my better judgement because of rave reviews around PE and it bored me to tears. I should have trusted myself. I'll see if BarryL has it and give it a trial run before purchasing it. The reviews give me hope, but I've been burned by Wilson before.

I also didn't think much of PT's The Incident. It had some great moments, but overall they were few and far between IMO. They may have just run their course with me.

Agreed.............the earlier stuff is better.
Right now I'm trying to get the band to play OPEN CAR from Deadwing.............still a very cool tune.

3LB
03-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Me neither, but I started getting bored after FoaBP came out.

I have spent the weekend listening to it. I will say its better than his previous two albums. This album actually delivers on the promise of jazz that Wilson spoke of during the GfD promotional interviews, while the GfD album itself only hints at jazz here and there. There are jazz flourishes all over Raven and it doesn't suffer as much in the way the previous albums do from the overly long textural interludes. Still a tad lacking in the songcraft area though as structurally speaking, some of the music on the latter-half of this album shares too much in common with his other solo projects. I miss Wilson's pop/rock touch - he's pretty much stopped writing that style of concise, tight pop song. Where this album really pays off is Alan Parson's touch in the studio. This album is very spacious on a good set-up and revelatory on headphones.