pro amp to pre amp/av receiver, urgent help needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : pro amp to pre amp/av receiver, urgent help needed

symon
03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
hi i have a pioneer vsx 1122k av receiver 7.2, the problem im having is i would like to add in a external amp to power the front 2 left and right speakers as they are powerful and the amp can only handle 150wpc (intimidation s5000 speakers, 350w each 4-6 ohm). can anyone tell me how i would be able to connect a seperate amp step by step to my receiver as well as all the wiring, what amp i would need etc.
thanks much appreciated

markw
03-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Get hold of your owners manual.

We don't have it, you do, and it's easier for you to read it yourself.

Read up on how to use the "Zone 2" options.

That's your only option to do what you want.

blackraven
03-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Symon, don't pay any attention to the 350w rating of the speaker. That number is peak power that the speakers can handle unless it states rms. That Pioneer should be more than enough for those speakers. You could drive those speakers with 25watts.

Read this-
What Are Speaker Watts? | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/about_5059554_speaker-watts.html)

Speaker Selection and Amplifier Power Ratings (http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Speakers.htm)

Understanding Speaker Power Rating Specifications (http://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/speaker-power-rating.html#axzz2N13B4XOa)

symon
03-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the links will read them shortly. If its fine to run these speakers from the receiver direct that's no problem I just thought we could save the receiver doing the hard work as most of the time our music is loud so heard a external amp would be good. Cheers

blackraven
03-09-2013, 02:09 PM
As long as you don't clip your amp you will be fine. You will probably be able to play those speakers at ear bleeding levels before you clip the amp but be careful. Even with perfect system matching you can clip an amp and destroy both the speakers and the amp.

markw
03-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I found a copy of your receiver manual on line. Here it is (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1122-K_OperatingInstructions070612.pdf).

Whoever told you that it puts out 160 watts per channel seriously deluded you. It's rated for 165 watts with only one channel driven at 1 khz with a 6 ohm load. I forget the distortion level. You can find it on page 103 of the linked manual.

Reading the manual more carefully, it's more like 80 "real" watts per channel in the real world.

And, keep in mind that if you want it twice as loud without distorting, you'll need at least 800 watts, and your speakers aren't rated to handle that.

Ultimately, go with what you've got. You've got no other option.

But, use your head and ears. If it starts to sound bad, turn it down immediately to prevent something from breaking.

symon
03-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Right ok thanks, but if I had more powerful speakers wouldn't I still be in the same position of damaging the amp when played at high level? As now it might be only do 80 watts per channel as someone mentioned. Whereas maybe if there was a external amp it would be at full potential all the time? To be fair we do always have some sort of party there so they will be loud every now and then, also the rooms pretty larger than normal. Rather take your guys help before its to late

markw
03-11-2013, 04:17 AM
Again with the "powerful speakers" crap. Didn't anything anyone said sink in?

As someone else said in an earlier post, any amp can blow any speaker if you act supid.

And, as for advice, read the last paragraph in my previous post.

But, I've posed several issues to you in your two threads that you seem to have totally ignored. We're ready. willing and more then able to help, but why should we do all the thinking and work while you do nothing to help yourself?

Namely, are Beheringer products available where you are? And, even simpler, have you even read your owners manual to explore the possibility of using your "zone 2" outputs for your purposes?

Cheers.

symon
03-12-2013, 04:29 AM
I just use powerful as a word instead of like good or something, yes I have read all of your advice which helps me but off forums people say other different things so I just want to be sure what I'm doing and want the most out of my sound system. Yes behringer is available? Cheers mark

markw
03-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Well then, you obviously don't need us.

Let the "off forum" people guide you. They apparantly know more than we do.

blackraven
03-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Symon, you need to ignore the power rating of your speakers, in simple terms it means the max power that the speaker can handle without potentially damaging the speakers , it has nothing to do with the power needed to play the speaker.

Your 80 wpc receiver will easily drive those speakers to very loud ear damaging levels. I have a pair of Monitor Audio S1's that are rated at 150watts and I run a 25wpc amp and they play plenty loud. There is another spec called Sensivity that relates more to how loud a speaker plays but you should ignore that number for now as it will only confuse you more. You receiver is plenty powerful.

By the way, I checked on the sensitivity of your speakers and they are rated at 96dB which is very efficient. A 10wpc amp will play those at very loud levels without any problem. In fact you would be able to drive those with a 2wpc amp. For a frame of reference, my Monitor Audio's are rated at 90dB which is considered good. 88 and below generally is considered inefficient and usually will require a more robust amp.

So you are good to go with no worries!

symon
03-13-2013, 05:46 PM
thanks blackraven that was the answer i was looking for, thing is i will admit im not very good when it comes to things like this as whereas i have my profession in sports and biology and when people come to me i always help at anytime where as here people just don't have the patience or have a attitude problem. If i new what i was looking for i wouldnt be here would i! thanks

Worf101
03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience here. You have to understand or try to that some people here have answered the same questions from others for years... some for over a decade. People breeze in ask questions that they might have figured out for themselves with perhaps a little effort... perhaps not, and some people have little patience even when giving answers. Please don't everyone on here by this small sample. I hope you now have all the information you need.

Worf

symon
03-15-2013, 06:28 PM
but then if they cant keep giving their advice without getting in a strop they shouldnt be here right? or am i wrong. Thanks for your concern anyway Worf i have met most nice people on here too and have learnt alot.
cheers

markw
03-16-2013, 05:30 AM
We can explain it to you but we can't understand it for you. It took two threads to get one simple point across to you, and I'm still not sure it actually sunk in.

Those links that were posted, had you read them, should have said it all, particularly for one who claims to be as intelligent as you claim.

And, while you're licking your wounds and feling sorry for yourself, please note that I actually pointed you in the right direction to answer your question here, but apparantly you didn't even bother to check it out and realize it. That would invlove some reading on your part, wouldn't it?

symon
03-17-2013, 09:53 AM
i didnt have or see the manual till you posted up the link, no problem anyway ive managed to sort it okay