New Outlaw Audio AV processor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Outlaw Audio AV processor

dean_martin
03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
This new av processor from Outlaw Audio looks interesting. Anyone had a home trial yet?

Outlaw AudioModel 975 (http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html)

Feanor
03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I like the slim appearance and the price.

dean_martin
03-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I like the slim appearance and the price.

I'm looking for a bridge that gives me digital inputs and hdmi connections until I can figure out how to position surround speakers in our tv room which is open on one side. I may take a chance on the Outlaw if I can confirm that it downmixes to stereo or that it would be fine with only a pair of fronts and a sub. The manual's not very clear on that and I haven't contacted Outlaw yet.

Mr Peabody
03-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Deano, have you thought about in-wall or on-wall speakers? I used some Revel in-wall for my living room set up, mains and a center. The kids and wife use this mainly. I drive them with a little Onkyo 515.

I would assume the Outlaw is like every other HT product, you just select what speakers you have in the set up menu. For instance, in the above mentioned set up I just select "no" for rear and sub, I still get a 3-channel mix when watching 5.1 movies etc.

Mr Peabody
03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
After looking at the 975 I don't see any mention of auto speaker set up or any internet connectivity at all. In this day of firmware updates no internet connection is a big issue. The web page does have the owner manual if you wanted to check the set up features.

lewburgh
03-07-2013, 07:33 PM
I own the Outlaw RR2150, audio receiver and it's awesome! I got a B stock one for 500 a few years ago that I used in my two channel audio system, that I am now using as a preamp. My brother has also owned several Outlaw A/V processors and also thinks highly of them. They are well built and they have great customer service. The Outlaw line is definitely more suited for home theater, than anything else, IMO. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that isn't happy with their two channel, five channel amps, a/v processors, for the money.

lewburgh
03-07-2013, 07:39 PM
I was curious about what Mr. P was saying, so I checked the processor out on Outlaw. It does have a dedicated out for internet, just check out pictures of the back. Not sure why they don't mention it.
Model 975 Back Panel Gallery (http://outlawaudio.com/products/975_gallery2.html)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
After looking at the 975 I don't see any mention of auto speaker set up or any internet connectivity at all. In this day of firmware updates no internet connection is a big issue. The web page does have the owner manual if you wanted to check the set up features.

Good eye Mister P, these where my thoughts as well. At this price range, no Audyssey or no mention of auto setup and auto EQ makes this processor marginal at best. Audyssey is a feature on much lower priced receivers, even if it is the crude method of tweaking the speaker/room interaction.

Outlaw is losing its forward thinking edge to Emotiva, Onkyo, Denon, and Anthem. It can't be compared any longer, because its investments in audio technology have been so sifted by partnerships - it can no longer turn out a cutting edge product at a reasonable price.

blackraven
03-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I would love to hear one. I need to get some thing to replace my aging Adcom GFR-700. The Outlaw seems to be the right price and I would consider buying one of their pancake amps for my center channel as I only run a 3.1 system

dean_martin
03-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Deano, have you thought about in-wall or on-wall speakers? I used some Revel in-wall for my living room set up, mains and a center. The kids and wife use this mainly. I drive them with a little Onkyo 515.

I would assume the Outlaw is like every other HT product, you just select what speakers you have in the set up menu. For instance, in the above mentioned set up I just select "no" for rear and sub, I still get a 3-channel mix when watching 5.1 movies etc.

Thanks, Mr. P. The left side of the tv room has no wall. What I call the "left side" opens into a breakfast/sitting area connected to the kitchen. In the tv room, one wall has a door and fireplace in the corner. It has enough room for a surround but the opposite side is open. I don't think I can get away with a free standing surround on the left side of the couch. Back wall has french doors. I'm using the only wall available for the tv, fronts and sub. I've even considered suspending surrounds from the ceiling, but that seems like it could turn into a complicated mess.

It's not a big deal, really. We enjoy movies in 2.1. It's just that my old NAD integrated amp is . . . old. The remote stopped working and I could use some hdmi and digital connections.

I'm also looking at the Marantz slimline receivers (NR1403 and 1603). These models have 2.1 pre-outs for mains and a sub. I can use a stereo amp (I have one that's collecting dust) if the Marantz's power is not enough. The pre/pro sections appear to have all the connections I need. I don't think I would need the networking capabilities of the 1603, but I'm not sure at this point. The 1403 would fit my immediate needs as a pre/pro, but I might miss the networking features of the 1603 in the future. I haven't researched the Onkyo receivers yet but I will.

JoeE SP9
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks, that appears to be exactly what I've been looking for.