connecting my speakers!! need serious help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : connecting my speakers!! need serious help

symon
03-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi i have a pair of intimidation speakers 350w each (not sure on the ohms might be 6 or 8) i know they are more studio and pa speakers and it would be easy to connect them to a dj mixer and then to whatever source i would like, but i really don't want to buy any dj equipment like mixers, decks etc i bought them for just personal home use and sound but not sure on what i can connect them to for a good sound as nothing for home use comes this big in power handling etc. if anyone has any suggestions and could help me that would be great.
thanks!

blackraven
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Can you post a picture of the rear of the speaker and the connectors on the back? You will need some type of preamp to connect to the speakers.

Here are some specs of an Intimidation speaker, it looks like it can take XLR and RCA inputs-
B-Stock Intimidation Audio PPX12 Active Powered PA Speaker PPX 12 DJ SINGLE | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-Stock-Intimidation-Audio-PPX12-Active-Powered-PA-Speaker-PPX-12-DJ-SINGLE-/170928048468?_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D14513%26meid%3D6010011878304619244%26pid%3D 100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D190742409649%2 6)

You can always contact the company-

Intimidation Homepage (http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/intimidation-homepage/3)

harley .guy07
03-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Blackraven has a real good point. Look up the speakers on the website to see what they recommend. If they are passive speakers(need an amp) then they probably take a 1/4" plug like guitar or bass guitar cabinets do, in they case they make 1'4 plug to bare wire speaker wires that you can order if you are going to hook them up in a home setup. I would check Monoprice's website, they seem to be a guru in adapters for different applications like this. If these speakers have an amplifier in them then I would either think they would have either RCA or XLR hookup and Monoprice would have cables to set that up as well.

symon
03-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Cheers for the help guys I shall post pics up soon, they have normal speaker wire connections 4 ports unless I just use 2 with the links, in the meanwhile they are the intimidation s5000 speakers passive if you have heard of them, also connections aside what can I link them up to and use them on. Thanks

blackraven
03-06-2013, 09:24 AM
If they are passive speakers then you can hook them directly up to the amp. The 4 speaker terminals are probably for biwiring and biamping. Are the 4 terminals connected by jumpers. There should be 2 positive and 2 negative terminals.

E-Stat
03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Are the 4 terminals connected by jumpers. There should be 2 positive and 2 negative terminals.
They are. There's no reason to be *intimidated* over the connection of these speakers. :)

Get some 14 gauge zip and hook up positive to positive and negative to negative.

Details (http://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/speakers/intimidation-s5000-floor-standing-speakers-ww3783)

symon
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes I will be able to connect them the picture can be seen from e-stat's reply. I need help to find out what amp I can connect them to for good audio response and something that will handle the power when needed.

E-Stat
03-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Yes I will be able to connect them the picture can be seen from e-stat's reply. I need help to find out what amp I can connect them to for good audio response and something that will handle the power when needed.
Most any amp will do with those speakers.

What is your budget?

symon
03-08-2013, 06:50 AM
I would say around £500, what would u recommend as I'd like to play these pretty loud at times and occasional home gatherings. Thanks

E-Stat
03-08-2013, 07:42 AM
I would say around £500, what would u recommend as I'd like to play these pretty loud at times and occasional home gatherings. Thanks
Ah, the UK. For the best sound quality, something from companies like Arcam, Quad or NAD. If you want lots of inexpensive power, then you could go with a pro amp.

symon
03-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I was thinking pre amp, that's the only problem I have finding the right component I can connect these speakers to.

blackraven
03-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Symon, since these speakers are passive, you need to hook them up to any Receiver, integrated amp or you can go with a separate preamp and amp. What is you budget so we can make some recommendations?

E-Stat
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
I was thinking pre amp, that's the only problem I have finding the right component I can connect these speakers to.
Right component? This really is basic with three approaches:

Receiver
Integrated amp
Preamp/Power amp

Your budget leans towards the first two. If you don't need a tuner, then an integrated is the most cost effective solution since it is a preamp and power amp in a single chassis.

You seem to think there is something unusual about the speakers. They attach to amplifiers in the most common and ordinary manner. The pic I found shows they use binding posts that accept bare wire or banana plugs. If they were powered, then you would only need a preamp most likely with balanced XLR cables. If they were truly pro speakers, then you might need the appropriate 1/4" plug or Speakon connector.

symon
03-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Ye I understand about wiring them, as they are powerful I didn't want to buy a amp/receiver that wouldn't get the full power out of these. I have a pioneer receiver at 160w per channel but I'm not sure if I'd be able to have the volume full without any problems. I can spend up to £500 or a little more, I just want to get the most out of these in the right way.

markw
03-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Symon, they are not "powerful". They do not produce power. They absorb power.

And, just because they are rated to be able to handle 350 watts, there is no guarantee they will sound good while doing so.

My suggestion would be to see how they sound with your current receiver. They should play pretty fargin' loud with what you have.

If that's not loud enough, then get back to us.

Do they sell Behringer over there? Their line of power amps should provide ample power with quality comensurate with those speakers. Then we'll worry about a preamp.

E-Stat
03-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Ye I understand about wiring them, as they are powerful I didn't want to buy a amp/receiver that wouldn't get the full power out of these.
I'm with Mark. Speakers aren't "powerful".

I don't mean to be unkind, but these are generic speakers marketed by a "superstore" that reference "music power". Translation: once in a blue moon peak power.

Your Pioneer receiver will get all they can deliver. Eventually, you'll replace them with some serious speakers without the comb filter effects of their driver arrangement. There's a good reason why you don't find others taking that approach.

symon
03-08-2013, 04:59 PM
thanks for the information guys, i just use the word powerful when describing the watts. I have a pioneer vsx 1122k receiver at 150w per channel at 6 ohm. So would you say this would me more then okay to just connect the speakers direct to the receiver? cheers again

E-Stat
03-08-2013, 07:58 PM
So would you say this would me more then okay to just connect the speakers direct to the receiver? cheers again
Almost any amplifier on the planet would be ok to connect the speakers.

symon
03-08-2013, 08:23 PM
ok thats fine, so the amp or speakers wont blow or get damaged if i keep the volume up high for music most of the time?

E-Stat
03-09-2013, 06:25 AM
ok thats fine, so the amp or speakers wont blow or get damaged if i keep the volume up high for music most of the time?
Keep the output below clipping and you'll be fine.