Adding an Amp... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adding an Amp...

Craigcpr69
03-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I need some help guys, am new to site and the H/T audio world in general. Bought a 60" Plasma TV and bluray player, along with an Onkyo NR-509, 5ch A/V rec'r - preamp. Have it hooked up to some Polk speakers ( no subwoofer as yet! ) and while I like the sound, lacks "pop". I picked up a Marantz MM-9000 5ch. stereo power amp yesterday and need advice on hooking up to the Onkyo. Marantz has the 5 level inputs in back, but Onkyo preamp only has pre-out jacks for rear surrounds & subwoofer, as well as Zone 2 out jacks. Do I run wires from the Onkyo's speaker terminals to the Marantz inputs? The inputs appear to be RCA type plug inlets if that matters. :confused5:

blackraven
03-03-2013, 05:14 PM
I think that you are out of luck. You need a receiver that has full preamp outs. Return the Onkyo if you can and upgrade to a model that has preamp outs or get a HT processor/preamp. The 5 series onkyo receivers never had full preamp outs. i think you need to go to the 8 series if I remember correctly.

Mr Peabody
03-04-2013, 05:35 AM
In addition, please do not hook the speaker outputs of the Onkyo to the amp unless looking for disaster. As Blackraven mentioned you will have to get a different receiver/processor set up to allow external amplification, or live with your current set up and return the amp.

Craigcpr69
03-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for help/advice guys, probably saving me from some serious grief! Bought the Onkyo along with TV & B/R player at big sale just after X-Mas, so no returning it. Bought the Amp from someone moving out of province, so even if I wanted to return that, not an option. I'll keep the Marantz as its in damn near mint condition, only two tiny smudge like scuffs on top rear from another piece of equip. being stacked on it for a while. I will just look to up-grade the rec'r to a unit that will match to amp in near future, no real rush I guess as I'm still waiting to add a subwoofer to system as well. Craig

Mr Peabody
03-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Makes sense. The 7701 Marantz HT preamp can be had for around $1250.00 USD, another option might be to see if you can find a used Marantz AV8003, this is still a great preamp, only outdated if you want 3D, I'm also not too sure on how good the streaming feature is since I've never used it yet. You could get off cheaper buying a receiver with preamp outs but if you can swing it a preamp would be best IMO.

Thanks for help/advice guys, probably saving me from some serious grief! Bought the Onkyo along with TV & B/R player at big sale just after X-Mas, so no returning it. Bought the Amp from someone moving out of province, so even if I wanted to return that, not an option. I'll keep the Marantz as its in damn near mint condition, only two tiny smudge like scuffs on top rear from another piece of equip. being stacked on it for a while. I will just look to up-grade the rec'r to a unit that will match to amp in near future, no real rush I guess as I'm still waiting to add a subwoofer to system as well. Craig

bfalls
03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Pre-outs are difficult to find anymore. They used to be pretty common. Now it seems only the TOTL receiver have them. Good luck searching. I'm sure there's a lot of used gear still available with them.