Over rated movies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Over rated movies

Smokey
03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Some critics or viewers might love them, but we may beg the differ :)

Last King of Scotland (2006): I thought this movie is going be about the life of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. But it turned out to be about a horney white doctor philanderings with the local Ugandan women. What a waste.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/6/10/1244648767108/Forest-Whitaker-and-James-001.jpg

Schindler's List (1993): This movie probably would have worked better as a documentary, not a dark sad movie.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LxzAYGWW5cA/TiF3acUuECI/AAAAAAAADA0/KZ3HT--GtmE/s400/Schindler%2527s+List+6.jpg

Brokeback Mountain (2005): Too much hype around this movie, but it played out like day time soap opera.
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/675/675510/brokeback-mountain-20051213061537535.jpg

Casablanca (1943): Dubbed as one of greatest movie ever made, it failed to entertain. Too slow and attention keep drifting.
http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/50b8ce6decad04806100002e-400-/casablanca-still.png

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968): I love space movies, but this movie's slow pacing was too much to take. A critic some it up very well:"This film is fascinating when it concentrates on machines...and dreadful when it deals with the in-betweens: humans."
http://www.fandor.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2001_a_space_odyssey.jpg

Titanic (1997): Such a big budget for a Love Boat (TV show) type story line.
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/29678/titanic_29678.jpg

Feanor
03-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I can't say I agree with any of your choices, (except I never did see Titanic). Anyway I would like to nominate one flick as HUGELY overrated. On Metacritic, (HERE (http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/lost+in+translation/results)), It got a critics' score of 89 and "users" (?) score of 6.8. WTF!??! A really dump, boring movie: my wife & I forced ourselves to watch the whole thing, but boy were we glad when it was over.

Lost in Translation ~ Dir/writer: Sofia Coppola; staring Bill Murray, Scarlett Johannson

Smokey
03-03-2013, 10:32 PM
You had to pick a film that I have'nt seen :)

I like Bill Murray and he has done couple of good films, but when front and back cover of DVD is plasterd with critics rave reviews like your mentioned movie DVD cover is, I think I be little bit wary of the film.

Feanor
03-04-2013, 08:15 AM
You had to pick a film that I have'nt seen :)

I like Bill Murray and he has done couple of good films, but when front and back cover of DVD is plasterd with critics rave reviews like your mentioned movie DVD cover is, I think I be little bit wary of the film.
I'm always leery of films that get great critics' review but relatively poor viewer's reviews. Such as Lost in Translation -- except I really don't know why the viewers' reviews are as good even as they are.

Worf101
03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Touchy subject. I too thought "2001" was overated when I saw it as a kid. As an adult I had an entirely different take.

"Titanic" - Overated as hell "wha' the ship's sinking?"

"The Deer Hunter" - Wha? Viet Nam was bad?

"The Dark Knight Rises" - Batman quit for 10 years? Batman NEVER quits!

I could go on and on and on...

Worf

Feanor
03-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Touchy subject. I too thought "2001" was overated when I saw it as a kid. As an adult I had an entirely different take.

"Titanic" - Overated as hell "wha' the ship's sinking?"

"The Deer Hunter" - Wha? Viet Nam was bad?

"The Dark Knight Rises" - Batman quit for 10 years? Batman NEVER quits!

I could go on and on and on...

Worf
I gotta disagree about The Deer Hunter. I thought was outstanding ... but that was my reaction years ago when the effects of the war were more recent; I haven't viewed it in years.

OTOH, I have to agree about The Dark Knight Rises -- déjà vu all over again.

recoveryone
03-10-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm with Feanor, anything the critics praise or up for an oscar turns out to be a waste. most are box office flops even with all the awards hype tying to boost ticket sales. Many people wait to see them on disk and wish they could get those 2 hours back. The only film in recent times that did well with both critics and fans was LOTR.

3LB
03-30-2013, 08:40 AM
A list I could add to for months to come. Recent comedies come to mind right now.

Napolian Dynamite - I have no idea why people thought this was funny. Lazy assed writing and poor acting and pacing.

Super Bad - 'nuff said

The Hangover - moderately funny, but not the bust-a-gut laughfest that the hype machine portrayed it as being. Basically, the reason why I'll be waiting for comedies to come out on DVD from now on.

All-time hype award goes to Avatar though. A story that was a mash-up of Disney's Pocahontas and Ferngully with landscape designs and vistas straight outta the Roger Dean gallery. It was a fun film to look at what with its groundbreaking CGI effects and gorgeous scenery (seeing a Roger Dean concept brought to life was glorious even if uncreditied) but the dialog felt like it was written by a 5th grader and of course the constant feeling of dejavu with regards to storyline kept me from emerging myself into the movie.

Mr Peabody
03-30-2013, 10:38 AM
I was thinking as I wrote this I wasn't going to mention any particular movie but as I read on, Avatar came to mind then I saw 3LB beat me to the punch. One other movie people love but I just don't get why, is Bladerunner, it moved so slow I didn't finish it, maybe I missed something.

I wonder if sometimes the hype of a movie has our expectations so high the movie couldn't possibly live up to them. I try to keep in mind when watching old movies like Casablanca the time in which it was made. I do enjoy many of the B&W movies because they actually have a script and story.

Sometimes I wonder as well if it's not something novel in the movie that excites people so then they say the whole movie was good, for instance, No Country For Old Men, I did like the movie but it wasn't as great as the hype, so I wonder if the unique killing device is what triggered the excitement. Or, Slump Dog Millionaire, was it the greatness of the movie or was people shocked to see the boy jump in the waste? As 3LB mentioned on Avatar, was the movie all that good to people or were they just wow'd by visuals?

Then again, the bottom line, we all have different tastes and at different times may be looking for a different stimulus when watching, we may be ready for action and entertainment, or we may be ready for our intellect to be engaged. I took heat for liking Transformers, actually I really had to draw the line after the 2nd one, but that's an example of what not to watch when wanting your brain engaged. Ever watch a movie and hate it and see it later and wonder what it was you didn't like or vice versa?

recoveryone
03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
I find that now days, the studios will find any angal they can to promote a film. From small trailers clip with awesome sound tracks that are not even in the movie to who is the director and that in itself makes the movie great. Of recent era's of movie trends we have been hit with a number of end of the world themes: 2012, battle L.A., I am (Will Smith) and so on. I was just at the theater 3 times within the last 2 weeks and saw the trailers for the new Tom Cruise, Obivion, Will Smith & Son Something Earth and some other alian flick. As humans we always wonder what the future holds and get all goose bumpy when the next futurelistic film comes out, so the CGI and gadgets plays a major role in filling those theater seats. You mention bladerunner, I too til this day am trying to find a reason why I brought it on VHS and now Blu Ray and did not really care for it when I saw it in the theaters years ago. And why do script writers feel the dominate language in the future will be chinese, when it is hardy spoken outside of China.

3LB
03-30-2013, 05:16 PM
One other movie people love but I just don't get why, is Bladerunner, it moved so slow I didn't finish it, maybe I missed something. +1
great example Mr P. I watched it recently and beyond the stunning effects (which still hold up well FWIW) its basically a Sam Spade story. Good call.

Sometimes I wonder as well if it's not something novel in the movie that excites people so then they say the whole movie was good, for instance, No Country For Old Men, I did like the movie but it wasn't as great as the hype, so I wonder if the unique killing device is what triggered the excitement. Or, Slump Dog Millionaire, was it the greatness of the movie or was people shocked to see the boy jump in the waste? As 3LB mentioned on Avatar, was the movie all that good to people or were they just wow'd by visuals? Two more movies that I found modestly entertaining. No Country For Old Men is very artfully done, but a lot of nothing occurs. You get the feeling that the next serial killer the Farleys come up with is going to feed people to a hay bailer or something.

kushy
04-12-2013, 05:10 AM
I have seen only Titanic very good movie.

blackraven
04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
I find that most movies are over rated and there is a lot of dreck being produced. Movies have become more about dazzling special effects than good stories which I guess are hard to come by these days. There have better TV series in recent years than what has been in the movie theaters, such as the fantastic new Battle Star Galactica series which sadly ended except for the upcoming Battle Star Blood and Chrome which can be seen on line, and just about anything that FX produces.

kushy
04-22-2013, 04:41 AM
I too like this movie-Schindler's List

JohnMichael
04-22-2013, 05:11 AM
I found Brokeback Mountain a very powerful movie. The days of the closet and hidden relationships. The difficulty accepting something in yourself that most will tell you is wrong. I felt it portrayed those times in rural America where it was dangerous to come out. I could relate to the loss of a secret lover and mourning alone.