What's your "guilty pleasure"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's your "guilty pleasure"?

Worf101
04-20-2004, 12:08 PM
What album do you own or group you listen to and like that you'd be ashamed for anyone to know about. What's your dark, dirty little secret? Were you a member of the "New Kid's on the Block" fan club? Did you have a crush on Tiffany or Debbie Gibson? Do you have a secret Burl Ives fetish? Enquiring Minds Wanna Know!!!!

To be fair I'll share mine with you.....

I kinda like Boy George and Culture Club. I own their greatest hits and listen to if from time to time... my God does this look bad.

There I said it... I won't tumble for ya though...

Da Worfster :rolleyes:

Dave_G
04-20-2004, 01:12 PM
You think we are going to post that stuff?

No way.

But I'll add one for fun:

Billy Idol

Dave

Troy
04-20-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't really fall into the whole "guilty pleasures" thing.

I mean, I'm a prog-rock fan! The whole genre could be construed as a guilty pleasure to most people.

People do roll their eyes whenever I put on Gary Wright's Dream Weaver album though. Screw 'em, I dig tha analog synth sounds, mang!

And Esquivel, Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman and other weird 50s and 60s lounge crap. I liked that stuff before it was trendy to like it.

mad rhetorik
04-20-2004, 02:42 PM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=1948&page=2&pp=25

At the time I wrote my post, my guilty pleasures consisted of Nicks-Buckingham Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Beastie Boys, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones (I have since sold that album). I also listen to lots of metal and some prog, which are guilty pleasures in the eyes of the indie hipster crowd I suppose (but screw those self-righteous puritans anyway). Notice how they refer to prog bands, like Sigur Ros and Godspeed You Black Emperor, as "post-rock" in order to justify liking it. Just admit that you're listening to prog and be done with it.

Another "guilty pleasure" in my collection I guess would be Spiral Architect's <b>A Sceptic's Universe</b>. I realize that it is self-indulgent masturbatory flurries of notes and meter to a lot of people, and the singer pretty much sucks, but I think it is a very challenging and interesting listen. They do melody (albeit not very much of it) and song structure in a way I've never heard before.

Can't think of much else that I'd consider a "guilty pleasure" in my collection right now.

Worf101
04-20-2004, 06:06 PM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=1948&page=2&pp=25

Can't think of much else that I'd consider a "guilty pleasure" in my collection right now.

Didn't mean to repeat a done done thread...

My Bad..

Da Worfster

Hyfi
04-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Not real often but I do like some John Tesh and Yanni. The live stuff.

A little Swing Out Sister

and god help me...Glen Cambell

HF

dld
04-20-2004, 07:04 PM
You think we are going to post that stuff?

No way.

But I'll add one for fun:

Billy Idol

Dave

Billy Idol? Guilty Pleasure? Whatcha been smokin man. Idol be great. Heres some guilties for ya:

Madonna
Neil Diamond
Guess Who
Minnie Ripperton
Donna Summer
Three Dog Night
BTO

So lock me up

Dave_G
04-21-2004, 06:28 AM
Actually here are a few real ones in that category:

1) OMD - "Crush" this cd is so foo foo gooey fluff cheesy pop is almost nauseating but I love it. The mundane synth work and cheesy sound all work great plus it's a killer recording.

2) The Human League - "Dare". See comments above.

3) John Denver & the Muppets Christmas cd

4) Billy Idol - ya I put him in this category just because he's so MTV and all and that is so reverse of my regular stuff, ya know.

But dld's list sure does wake one up! Holy cow!

Dave

-Jar-
04-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Ratt - OUT OF THE CELLAR (some of the best hooks in pop metal)
Motley Crue - SHOUT AT THE DEVIL (recently heard the remaster..very nice.. I just remember at the age of 13 thinking how absolutely evil this record was.. but I loved it)
Ray Lynch - SKY OF MIND (some new age I like, this is my favorite)
Sting - ..NOTHING LIKE THE SUN (I don't like his other post-Police work, but this one has a special place in my collection)
John Denver (yes, I have a soft spot for some of his old songs)
Journey - ESCAPE (yes, It still gets played once a year or so)

-jar

Dusty Chalk
04-21-2004, 07:37 PM
I am guilty of nothing.

That said, some things that I listen to that might be perceived as guilty pleasures include:

Pink, Kylie Minogue, Britney, Shania Twain, Christina Aguilera, Vitamin C, Abba.

dld
04-22-2004, 04:08 AM
I am guilty of nothing.

That said, some things that I listen to that might be perceived as guilty pleasures include:

Pink, Kylie Minogue, Britney, Shania Twain, Christina Aguilera, Vitamin C, Abba.

I think your list totally reeks (As a guilty pleasure list should). I would have also included ABBA. And again, your list reeks! Worse than mine if thats possible. Wheres Billy Ray Cyrus?

Dusty Chalk
04-22-2004, 05:11 PM
No B illy Ray, I hate that song (one of my favourite bands, Garbage, actually reference it in one of their songs). But I do like the occasional song by Backstreet Boys ("Bye Bye Bye"...or is it "Buy Buy Buy"?). I even own an early "split" CD single with Britney and N*Sync.

Oh, and Cats. I actually feel a little red in the face when I mention that I like Cats, the Broadway musical.

dld
04-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Yea, I'm a sucker for that Andrew Lloyd Weber crap. We've got Cats, a ALW sampler, two CDs of Phantom, and a 2LP of Phantom with all the music and about 1/4 ofthe dialogue, and the vinyl has a dead, silent,,,,, background. The music is pretty awesome coming off those two LPs.

I'll blame my wife for this affliction, but I'm afflicted nonetheless

paper warrior
04-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Another of my fav albums "Best of Popcorn Oldies" compilation on UNC label- must be somebody's garage. Sounds like it was recorded there too. Track listing:

1) Strangers In Paradise- Jimmy Foster
2) You're the One- The Bluesbusters
3) I've Told every Little Star- Linda Scott
4) Green Eyes- Dionne Maxwell
5) Mr Happiness- Johnny Maestro
6) Summertime- The Shake Spears
7) Queridita Mia- Keith Colley
8) Never on Saturday- The American Sisters
9) Ska Light Ska Bright- The Fleetwoods
10) Breaking Up Is Hard to Do- Shelley Phillips
11) Stay With Me- Eddy Williams
12) Yet I Know- Steve Lawrence
13) It's In His Kiss- Ramona King
14) With All My Heart- Clairette
15) I Won't Let You Go- Bluesbusters
16) Mrs Smith- Bobby Crawford
17) Bulky Knit Sweater- Joe Costa
18) I Wouldn't Blame You- Pat Hervey
19) She'll Never Love You- Teresa Brewer
20) Ciao Ciao Bambino- The Champou Band

The common thread so far as I can figure is non- rock alternative in the first 10 years of rock'nroll. Mostly lounge type stuff though the Bluesbusters is or was a ska group. The Shake Spears do the definitive ska version of Summertime- I guess. Is there another one?
the teen dream harmonizing group Fleetwoods released the ska Starlight Starbrite in 1964- who knew what ska was in 1964? Probably ruined their career. The perfect conclusion selection- Ciao Ciao Baby which is Mediterranean accordian instrumental.

PPG
04-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Bee Gees
Abba

newbsterv2
04-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas. I get laughed at left and right for that one but I don't CARE!!!!! This one stroke I worked with said it was "piano ***" music. I then told him "well hey !@#$head just think if you can play as GOOD as he can than youre every bit of a *** as he is! only problem is you can't play a lick!! So that makes you not even a ***! ha!"

P.S. I have in no way intended to insult homosexuals with this post. I have in fact proven that many heterosexuals are !@#$ing stupid.

What album do you own or group you listen to and like that you'd be ashamed for anyone to know about. What's your dark, dirty little secret? Were you a member of the "New Kid's on the Block" fan club? Did you have a crush on Tiffany or Debbie Gibson? Do you have a secret Burl Ives fetish? Enquiring Minds Wanna Know!!!!

To be fair I'll share mine with you.....

I kinda like Boy George and Culture Club. I own their greatest hits and listen to if from time to time... my God does this look bad.

There I said it... I won't tumble for ya though...

Da Worfster :rolleyes: