Marantz SR5007 or Onkyo 717 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz SR5007 or Onkyo 717

PaBowHunter340
02-26-2013, 06:27 AM
I have asked a question similar to this in another threard, but I'm looking for some more opinions.

I'm replacing a ten year old Harmon Kardon AVR325 and I've narrowed my search to either a Marantz SR5007 or an Onkyo 717. I removed the Onkyo 818 from the list because I don't see the worth in the additional $400 in price between the 717 and the 818.

I'm going to mainly use it for home theater/movies. Power/loudness is a concern. I do like to watch movies and/or listen to music louder than most. The HK AVR325 never had a problem with power. So if these two can equal or exceed the power of the old HK, then this isn't a concern.

I'm running Infinity Primus 360 mains, C25 center, 160 reqars and a BIC America PL-200 sub. I have an MK V75 MII which I am getting the amp repaired and intend to use also once it's repaired. I use a PS3 for Blu Ray movies.

I'm interested in hearing opinions on which unit. And why. Thank you.

blackraven
02-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Audio wise, the Marantz is the way to go and it's 100wpc is more than enough to play at extremely loud levels with the Primus speakers. Marantz has a house sound that some say is warmer and less bright. I think that Marantz quality is better than Onkyo as well.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
IMO, the Marantz is no better a receiver than the Onkyo. The power is about the same, both use the same Audyssey processing, and both do 3D and 4K video. The Marantz has six HDMI ins, the Onkyo eight. The Marantz has one HDMI outs, and the Onkyo has two. I have seen both receivers live and in color, and both have similar build quality.

PaBowHunter340
03-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Mr. Terrible,
Well, I chose to purchase the Marantz. There's just something about the Marantz that made me go that way. I may have made an emotional rather than a logical choice, but I like it so far. The SR5007 is VERY basic set up compared to the Yamaha 673 which I was forced to return. The Auddessy is very easy to use.
I did notice that the highs are VERY noticeable. Now this may be due to my prior experience with AV receiver's that simply weren't capable of reproducing these highs which may be why this sounds odd to me. I did manually turn up the bass level after the Auddessy set up was completed and I listened for a bit.
The volume is just about what I require. Although it is slightly less than the old HK AVR325. But again, the sound quality is MUCH better.
The remote is VERY simple to use which makes my wife very happy.
On the HK AVR325, I generally listened to music in 5 channel stereo (that phrase may be a misnomer - but it's what is indicated on the digital read out on the old HK) because I liked the fullness of the sound.
On the Marantz I also like the sound of 5 channel music, but as of yet I have only found that to listen to 5 channel music, you must utilize Dolby PL II Movie which sounds very good and comparable to the old HK on 5 channel stereo. I haven't read the manual yet to see if there are other 5 channel options. Work has been very busy.
Listening to music via both two channel stereo and "direct" connections have a MUCH better sound than the old HK 325. I actually like it on the Marantz. The old HK 325 in standard 2 channel sounded weak and thin. The Marantz in 2 channel sounds very good. A little less bass than I'm used to, but the sound is of a high quality, full and reminds me of my youth prior to me ever hearing anything other than 2 speakers spewing 70's rock.
I haven't bought the decibel meter yet. Do you think I need to since the unit has Auddessy? And do you have any suggestions about any other settings I may want to make? I suspect that you listen to music in it's original form and listening to it in 5 channel stereo is probably a major infraction (joking), but I like the concert like sound of the 5 channel stereo.
And finally, I am thinking of adding two more small speakers to my system. I want the new speakers to be added in the front "high" configuration. Right now I have a 5.1 system and I'm using Primus 160's as the surrounds. What's your opinion with this adddition?
And I am considering adding an amp to drive nothing but the front mains (Infinity Primus 360) in an attempt to gain a little more volume. Is this a bad idea? In other words I am thinking of running the mains from the auxillary amp and running the remaining speakers from the Marantz SR5007. Again, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Mr. Terrible,
Well, I chose to purchase the Marantz. There's just something about the Marantz that made me go that way. I may have made an emotional rather than a logical choice, but I like it so far. The SR5007 is VERY basic set up compared to the Yamaha 673 which I was forced to return. The Auddessy is very easy to use.
I did notice that the highs are VERY noticeable. Now this may be due to my prior experience with AV receiver's that simply weren't capable of reproducing these highs which may be why this sounds odd to me. I did manually turn up the bass level after the Auddessy set up was completed and I listened for a bit.
The volume is just about what I require. Although it is slightly less than the old HK AVR325. But again, the sound quality is MUCH better.
The remote is VERY simple to use which makes my wife very happy.

Congrats on your new purchase. Who cares if the purchase was emotional, or based on actual performance. As long as you are happy, it is all good. Some tips on Audyssey. There are two modes with MultiEQ XT. A flat or music mode, and a movie mode with a slight roll curve. If it is too bright, choose the movie mode. I leave it on flat for all my system that use it.

I haven't bought the decibel meter yet. Do you think I need to since the unit has Auddessy? And do you have any suggestions about any other settings I may want to make? I suspect that you listen to music in it's original form and listening to it in 5 channel stereo is probably a major infraction (joking), but I like the concert like sound of the 5 channel stereo.

I personally would get the meter, because I know that when it comes to volume calibration, Audyssey is not always right on the money. I like to do my own volume calibration, and not rely on Audyssey to do that. As far as room EQ is concerned, this is Audyssey sweet spot. I don't listen to music in stereo much because most of my music is in multichannel. However, this is your system, and if you like 5 channel stereo, go for it.

And finally, I am thinking of adding two more small speakers to my system. I want the new speakers to be added in the front "high" configuration. Right now I have a 5.1 system and I'm using Primus 160's as the surrounds. What's your opinion with this adddition?

I say get the two speakers, but do not use them as front heights. We don't mix movies for front height, but we do mix for 7.1 with two additional rear wall speakers. Those height channels can sometimes sound impressive, but then at other times highly unnatural. I would prefer to see you add those speakers at positions we actually mix in.

And I am considering adding an amp to drive nothing but the front mains (Infinity Primus 360) in an attempt to gain a little more volume. Is this a bad idea? In other words I am thinking of running the mains from the auxillary amp and running the remaining speakers from the Marantz SR5007. Again, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

As long as the amp is pretty close in wattage to the Marantz internal amps, I say go for it. If you get an amp that has way more wattage, you stand to overload the internal amps of the Marantz trying to keep up with your external amp. The external amps will also help the Marantz to run easier, because you are not driving as many channels simultaneously. This equals to a bit of extra system headroom.

You are definately headed in the right direction.

PaBowHunter340
03-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Okay, so once I purchase the meter, how do I properly calibrate the speakers?

The internal amp on the Marantz is 100w per channel and it's a 7.2 channel system. So what wattage amp should I look for? Should I stick with Marantz? Or go with another company you may recommend?

03-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Okay, so once I purchase the meter, how do I properly calibrate the speakers?

When you get the meter in your hand, post that you have it and we can go over how to use it. You are also going to need a microphone stand with a arm, and a microphone clip as well. If you didn't use this with the Audyssey microphone, then you are going to have to get it, and re-run audyssey.

The internal amp on the Marantz is 100w per channel and it's a 7.2 channel system. So what wattage amp should I look for? Should I stick with Marantz? Or go with another company you may recommend?

If all of your main speakers are on small, skip getting the external amp and focus on improving the system through calibration. External amps are for people like me who have speakers capable of running full range or extended range, and require more power to do so.

DADEO
04-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Mr. BowHunter, Could you state the reason for your returning of the Yamaha. Thank you.