Greatest Rock band ever [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Rock band ever

Smokey
02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
In your opinion who is the greatest rock band that ever lived?

IMO that title belong to Led Zeppelin. Alot of great bands seem to follow the curve where they peak and then inevitable downward spiral. But Zeppelin were consistent throughout their music career with good albums, and they knew when to quit before the inevitable happened.

http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/static/images/image/ledzep.jpg

Finch Platte
02-23-2013, 07:33 PM
In your opinion who is the greatest rock band that ever lived?

IMO that title belong to Led Zeppelin. Alot of great bands seem to follow the curve where they peak and then inevitable downward spiral. But Zeppelin were consistent throughout their music career with good albums, and they knew when to quit before the inevitable happened.

http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/static/images/image/ledzep.jpg

"Knew when to quit"???

You know the drummer died, right? :sosp:

Smokey
02-23-2013, 08:26 PM
"Knew when to quit"???You know the drummer died, right? :sosp:

Some how I knew that comment was coming :D

Even if drummer John Bonham would have lived, the music tide was against them as old school British invasion was being replaced by new wave invasion spear headed by The Clash. I think they knew their era was coming to a close.

Jack in Wilmington
02-24-2013, 09:36 AM
My favorite is The Who. Next year they'll celebrate 50 years as a rock icon. I've seen them many times and that may be why I pick them over Led Zeppelin, Rush and several others. Jethro Tull and The Beatles are in my favorites of all time, but I don't consider them strickly a "Rock" band.

ForeverAutumn
02-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Rush.

That is all.

MasterCylinder
02-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Even if drummer John Bonham would have lived, the music tide was against them as old school British invasion was being replaced by new wave invasion spear headed by The Clash. I think they knew their era was coming to a close.

No disagreement Smokey.............however :
Depending on the "categorization" others might suggest................
Beatles, Stones, Journey, Dead, U2, Floyd, Ramones, Sly, Queen, Heart, Santana, Kiss, Green Day, Cars............and so on.
I have NEVER seen The Clash mentioned in the dame breath as Zeppelin............so stop that !

Jim Clark
02-25-2013, 09:28 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Led Zep pilfered way too much music to be included in the greatest ever conversation. This has been discussed at written about ad nauseum.

I can't find fault with The Who although I prefer the music of my all time greatest rock band ever - The Clash.

Smokey
02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
I agree that The Who, Rush and Jethro Tull are among the best rock groups. Of all three, The Rush was probably was the less versatile of the bunch as they stuck to their unique sound thruout their music career.

No disagreement Smokey.............however :
Depending on the "categorization" others might suggest................
Beatles, Stones, Journey, Dead, U2, Floyd, Ramones, Sly, Queen, Heart, Santana, Kiss, Green Day, Cars............and so on.
I have NEVER seen The Clash mentioned in the same breath as Zeppelin............so stop that !

And you mentioned Beatles, Stones with the others groups in the samer manner :)

Pink Floyd probably come closest, but their consistency wavered thruout their career.

I can't find fault with The Who although I prefer the music of my all time greatest rock band ever - The Clash.

The Clash probably would fit the classic "curve" category where they picked with their album London Calling, but could not match it afterward with the same energy. But their place in music history is well preserved.

MasterCylinder
02-26-2013, 07:24 AM
I agree that The Who, Rush and Jethro Tull are among the best rock groups. Of all three, The Rush was probably was the less versatile of the bunch as they stuck to their unique sound thruout their music career.

And you mentioned Beatles, Stones with the others groups in the same manner :)

Pink Floyd probably come closest, but their consistency wavered thruout their career.

The Clash probably would fit the classic "curve" category where they picked with their album London Calling, but could not match it afterward with the same energy. But their place in music history is well preserved.

After the mental collapse of Syd Barrett, and utilizing Gilmour as his replacement, Pink Floyd wondered for a couple of albums.........NOODLING, as described by Gilmour.
At the release of MEDDLE (and ECHOES), a new position was located.
Since that time, the band was remarkable............if the entire history of Floyd had begun in 1971, they would clearly be viewed as one of the top picks.

But never The Clash.

Finch Platte
02-26-2013, 11:44 AM
But never The Clash.

Moreso than the Cars. Lol.

Rae
02-26-2013, 12:04 PM
You guys! What about

http://defleppardforever.weebly.com/uploads/9/3/2/5/9325845/4600974_orig.jpg

???

~Rae

Finch Platte