Get on the bus [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Get on the bus

Smokey
02-21-2013, 08:12 PM
That is one way to rein in skyrocketing gas prices :)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/08/03/nyregion/m23-480.jpg

Feanor
02-22-2013, 05:53 AM
That is one way to rein in skyrocketing gas prices :)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/08/03/nyregion/m23-480.jpg
Huh?!? What am I missing?

For 40 years I took the bus to work rather than drive. Gas prices was the least of it: more significant were the parking, insurance, and auto depreciation

ForeverAutumn
02-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Lets' see... Stand in the freezing cold/snow/rain/extreme heat waiting for a bus that I (a) either just missed or (b) is running late. Stand on a crowded moving vehicle with a bunch of smelly strangers. Then do that two more times because it would take me three buses to get to work. Have to pay two bus fares in each direction because I live in a different city than I work and each transit system requires that you pay their fare. And take twice a long to get where I'm going.

No thanks. I'll drive.

Feanor
02-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Lets' see... Stand in the freezing cold/snow/rain/extreme heat waiting for a bus that I (a) either just missed or (b) is running late. Stand on a crowded moving vehicle with a bunch of smelly strangers. Then do that two more times because it would take me three buses to get to work. Have to pay two bus fares in each direction because I live in a different city than I work and each transit system requires that you pay their fare. And take twice a long to get where I'm going.

No thanks. I'll drive.
This is a perfectly understandable perspective, FA.

Mostly by design I only ever a needed to take single bus route between home and work, except in Toronto where in addition I had to take one subway route. As for smelly people, well there is that, but I've saved many tens of thousands of dollars not driving.

As for freezing cold, there's that too. It wasn't much fun in Regina: on a few occasions I did experience wind-chills of -50 Celsius.

markw
02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
I used to take the us when I worked midtown NYC. It worked great. I lived about two blocks from the bus stop and worked about seven blocks from Penn Station. I also got some great street food on the way. :)

However, all busses/trains radiate like spokes from two main centers here, NYC and Newark. If you want to go anywhere else not on the way to/from them, one must take a bus/train to then and then board another bus/train going to where you want. Going from one "spoke" to another is not planned for. You have to follow the spokes.

But, when Mrs W and I go to the city, the bus/train is the only way. $7.50 round trip (each) as opposed to turnpike tolls of $8, Lincoln tunnel fees of $13, parking of at least $40, there's no comparison, even figuring in a few bucks for the subway.

E-Stat
02-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Then do that two more times because it would take me three buses to get to work.
They work where they work. In a small handful of cities.

I've never lived anywhere they made sense for me. The system in Toronto is actually pretty nice. On visits there, the wife and I have taken public transportation (mostly rail) for local travel.

Smokey
02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Lets' see... Stand in the freezing cold/snow/rain/extreme heat waiting for a bus that I (a) either just missed or (b) is running late.

Wondering when the bus will arrive might be a thing of a past as alot bus systems use real tracking system via GPS to find out exactly where they are. My city bus system also use text messaging where they send you a text as next bus arrival in real time.

But, when Mrs W and I go to the city, the bus/train is the only way. $7.50 round trip (each) as opposed to turnpike tolls of $8, Lincoln tunnel fees of $13, parking of at least $40, there's no comparison, even figuring in a few bucks for the subway.

Man, that could get expensive driving a car. As Feanor mentioned, saving on gas might be the least of it when riding a bus :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-26-2013, 10:53 AM

No thanks. I'll drive.

Oh FA, I am so with you on this. Bus? I do not do bus. I would rather sit in traffic than get on the bus.

Sir T does not look hot standing at the bus stop! LOLOLOL

Feanor
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Oh FA, I am so with you on this. Bus? I do not do bus. I would rather sit in traffic than get on the bus.

Sir T does not look hot standing at the bus stop! LOLOLOL
I'd be speculating but perhaps this is an easy choice for people with lots of money -- although I suspect I'd rather employ a chauffeur rather than drive myself. :yesnod:

ForeverAutumn
02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Wondering when the bus will arrive might be a thing of a past as alot bus systems use real tracking system via GPS to find out exactly where they are. My city bus system also use text messaging where they send you a text as next bus arrival in real time.

The city that I live in implemented a state-of-the-art bus system a few years ago that does this...not sure about texting, since I don't take the bus...but each bus stop has a LED screen that tracks the buses in real time. Of course you still have to go to the bus stop to see how long you have to wait (unless they have the text thing, or some kind of mobile app maybe).

As far as I know, Toronto does not have this information available.

EDIT: I went on the transit website. Each bus stop has a number assigned. You can enter the number of your stop and it will tell you when the next bus will be arriving. If there are multiple routes at that stop, it will list all the buses by route and arrival time. Very cool!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
I'd be speculating but perhaps this is an easy choice for people with lots of money -- although I suspect I'd rather employ a chauffeur rather than drive myself. :yesnod:

Meh, forget a limo, those are for very special occasions. I actually like to drive, and the traffic does not bother me one bit. Give me NPR, a good car surround system, and I am good to go. Besides, riding a bus in Los Angeles is like watching a movie in slow motion. Everything is too far, too slow, and even the bus has to deal with traffic. For me, time is money, and the bus wastes to much money.

My GPS gives me real time traffic conditions, and steers me around them. I love that damn thing.

ForeverAutumn
02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
My GPS gives me real time traffic conditions, and steers me around them. I love that damn thing.

Mine does that too. The technology is really amazing!

Dilitor
05-16-2021, 11:50 AM
Authorized dealers are dealing with fully investigated pre-owned cars which come with a warranty too. Thus, you can have peace of mind after investing in such a car. Other than this, always ask for a test drive. You should also take the help of an experienced mechanic or someone who has great knowledge about cars. But I recommend you to pay attention at what car should i buy (https://carbuzz.com/car-advice/what-car-should-i-buy)

georgeeee
07-01-2021, 12:39 AM
I want to try ceramic coating as I think that it will make my car look better... What do you think about it? What is your opinion about it right now? Thanks in advance.

vickyi
07-01-2021, 02:14 AM
Actually, I believe that it's a cool thing, so personally I think that you may really apply it. If you have any doubts then you can easily read various articles on the Internet and here (https://ceramiccoatingreviews.com/what-is-ceramic-coating-everything-you-need-to-know/) as well. I hope that it will be useful for you because as for me, I have learned a lot of new things thanks to that website there. If you still have any questions then feel free to talk about it with me here. Good luck.

Dilitor
07-29-2021, 02:49 AM
So, the next time you or a friend ask, “Why travel to Odessa, Ukraine?”, now you have an answer from odessa ukraine news https://odessa-journal.com/. There is plenty to see and do, a rich culture, and friendly natives. The cost of living is low, and there is always something to do at night. They offer travelers the opportunity to stay in the country for 90 days, which gives you enough time to try all the amazing foods Ukraine has to offer in the safe city of Odessa, Ukraine.

Luzmirr
09-26-2021, 10:32 AM
In this cold it would be good to go somewhere warm! Especially since the borders are opening more and more, and the world is recovering from the effects of the pandemic. And you can save on airfare with a wonderful service. FlyHalfPrice there you can buy cheap international flight tickets (https://flyhalfprice.com/). There are a bunch of popular destinations. Extremely recommend!