tubes to solid state . . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : tubes to solid state . . .

dean_martin
02-16-2013, 11:48 AM
at least for the weekend.

Last night one of the power tubes in my Jolida 202a started glowing brightly. I shut everything down before anything bad could happen.

This morning I disconnected everything and pulled the Jolida out of the rack to change the bad tube and check biases on all the power tubes. Then I changed my mind and decided to try my old pre/power separates - a Parasound P/HP 850 and an Acurus A-100. I haven't tried this combo with my Soliloquy 5.0i standmount speakers.

First thing I noticed is that my bare DH Labs speaker cable is too big for the binding posts on the Acurus. I almost scratched the plan, but went ahead and used some radio shack wire that comes on a spool.

The P/HP has a built-in phono section. I used it with my Technics SL-1210mk2 and Ortofon 2M Red instead of the Bellari VP129 I use with the Jolida. I connected my Jolida JD9 phono stage to a line input. It amplifies a Rega P5 with Ortofon MC3 Turbo.

Also, I connected my Jolida JD100a cd player and my tuner and cassette deck.

The Acurus A100 is 100wpc compared to the Jolida which is rated at 40wpc. The Soliloquies are very efficient and are an easy load for the Jolida. With the Acurus pushing them, everything seemed balls out. I was getting pretty aggressive and big sound from the Rega through the Jolida phono and the cd player. Bass seemed to be more noticeable, but maybe a little smeared in some passages. The Soliloquies were going a little lower than I remember with the Jolida. The soundstage was maybe a little more defined than with the Jolida. If I wanted to rock out, this would be an appropriate setup. For relaxing and spinning some tunes, I don't think it would be appealing for very long. I'm going to leave the pre/power combo in the system for the weekend to see if it grows on me.

The one thing that stands out as very good is the P/HP 850's phono stage. It's supposedly a John Curl design. I was a little suspicious because I got this thing at a closeout sale for $250 probably 10 years ago. The Technics/2M Red sounds really good through this pre. It's detailed but "dark". It's very quiet too. Its output level seems more controlled (not as balls out) as the output from the line level inputs. I think I prefer it to the Bellari running through the Jolida. The headphone output has similar qualities - very quiet, a little dark, and it draws you in.

I've thought about selling all this gear (except a source component or two) and getting my last amp - something like the Luxman L-505u - no power tubes to deal with, and better solid state than I have now.

Feanor
02-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Really? Can there ever actually be a "last" component, (a.k.a. the final solution)??

Well maybe. The Luxman L-505u looks pretty sweet, (description here (http://www.luxman.co.jp/global/product/ia_l-505u.html)):

http://www.audiounion.jp/stock_images/47117.jpg

In my "final solution" might be a Pass Labs INT-150, maybe a renaissance amp , (desc. here (https://passlabs.com/products/amplifiers/integrated/int-150)) ...

https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/Product_images/43/int-150_main__large.jpg

But I practically speaking this 'way too pricey so I'll continue on my long road of interim solutions. :13:

dean_martin
02-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Exactly. Even if I found THE amp, then I would have to find my last speakers. Oh, I would have to have my last turntable/cart setup, and an appropriate disc spinner - standalone player or transport/dac combo.

My problem is when I have the money I seem to end up with 2 or more "value" components rather than putting all the money into 1 exceptional component.

JohnMichael
02-16-2013, 02:35 PM
I will look forward to your impression of the Luxman or the final amp of your choice. I picked the Krell S-300i as my final amp. I can understand buying an amp of quality that you can enjoy for a long time. My thoughts was I wanted a neutral amp with enough power to drive any speaker I might be able to afford.

I have noticed less electronic artifacts from the budget integrated amps I used to buy. The power and damping factor really controls the drivers in my speakers. I think you will be impressed with a top quality integrated amp.

Mr Peabody
02-16-2013, 04:33 PM
The trick to going from tubes to solid state is finding solid state as musically satisfying. It's not easy but it can be done.