My Bloody Valentine [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Bloody Valentine

Davey
02-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Have you heard the new one, mbv? Wow, never imagined that a followup to Loveless some 20+ years later would sound so good, so right, so harmonically in sync with the world. And then towards the end, when you're thinking, "Well yeah, but why couldn't they have just done this 15 or 20 years ago, before all the endless string of imitators that never got it ever so quite right", and then those last few songs take it in some new direction that we can only hope keeps coming from MBV. And I don't mean in another 20 years. Those last 3 songs that close it out are pretty spectacular, with a blend of shoegazer guitar sound washes, and industrial, and trance, and maybe even free form jazz.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThTvLnXNrki0rtyMi_RYsI_dVQI2ZdV OKWKRoIxtadRhmWyibh

Completely unexpected... who really believed all the rumors... and completely entrancing. Silly to say in February, I know, but probably record of the year. I like this a lot.

Jim Clark
02-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Yeah, that thing is pretty special. I just have a pirated copy so far but I'm assuming it's going to be available on vinyl at the local record store pretty soon. Can't wait. BTW dave, never did see your 2012 faves, which I'm assuming you had. Care to point me in the right direction?

jc

jonnyhambone
02-11-2013, 08:16 AM
yep, it's pretty great! The sonics and production are nice too...I pre-ordered the vinyl and am looking forward to a serious headphone immersion with that. Supposedly shipping out end of Feb. It's good to see a band so far from the current public eye, generate so much buzz for a release.

Swish
02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
You beat me to it Dave! I was thinking about it yesterday while listening to a very cool song from this new release. I can't remember the track but heard in on SiriusXMU. They play those ****<a>ty mp3s so I'm sure its going to sound much better on my home system.

Davey
02-11-2013, 08:44 PM
BTW dave, never did see your 2012 faves, which I'm assuming you had.

Don't think I posted a list anywhere. Wasn't really around much toward the end of the year, and honestly didn't hear all that much. But a big favorite was the Jessica Bailiff record, At the Down-Turned Jagged Rim of the Sky. Might've listened to that most. And loved the Antlers Undersea EP, that was really a nice direction for them. And the Julia Holter Ekstasis, listened a lot to that. And a few others that I probably mentioned a time or two.

nobody
02-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I really like this one. I think it's one of those all the old fans will love, but nothing to really bring in new ones. I'm fine with that as I really liked Loveless. I'm still mulling over the vinyl. With shipping, it's over 40 bucks. I want it, but not sure I want it that bad. I am really curious how it sounds on vinyl though as it sounds like they've gone all out for the pressing. And one record I really like, probably better than the 2-3 I would pick up with that money that I may be less excited about. Tough call. But yeah, a strong release. Nothing unexpected, but sometimes that's just fine.

dean_martin
02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Ok, where are you guys finding this? Apparently, their website crashed after announcing the release. Can't find it anywhere else. Pm me if you like. I can keep a secret.

jonnyhambone
02-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Their website should be up and going...can buy d/l in mp3 or hi-rez, cd, or vinyl (comes w/ d/l & cd). Also, they (the band) had the whole album streaming on YouTube a few days ago, prob. still there.
The vinyl was spendy but its all analog recording and limited ed. so I wasn't convinced I'd see it at my store (certainly don't see vinyl copies of Loveless around anymore!). At least 8 listens in, it's a pretty great album

dean_martin
02-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Their website should be up and going...can buy d/l in mp3 or hi-rez, cd, or vinyl (comes w/ d/l & cd). Also, they (the band) had the whole album streaming on YouTube a few days ago, prob. still there.
The vinyl was spendy but its all analog recording and limited ed. so I wasn't convinced I'd see it at my store (certainly don't see vinyl copies of Loveless around anymore!). At least 8 listens in, it's a pretty great album
Thank you. I was able to get on the site last night while using my wife's laptop and my phone. For some reason I kept getting errors while using the desktop yesterday morning. It's the only one running explorer.

nobody
02-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Just hooked up a player that can play DVD-Audio discs and the 24/96 files they are offering up sound fantastic.

Rae
03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
I got the vinyl today-- ordered it directly from the site. Doesn't seem like it's going to be in stores.

On first blush I liked it. Don't have much more to say about it right now... That second-to-last track had me thinking there was a lockgroove.

~Rae