Need advice on speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on speakers

jr58
01-31-2013, 06:10 PM
hey guys i need some help/hints, and some of your personal opinions. I want to purchase some speakers for my house, i would like them to be loud and be able to plug into the wall adapter and be compatible with an AUX type plug in. I i host a fair amount of get together's and i need some good loud speakers that also produce good deep bass. i am willing to pay 100-200$. can you guys help me out and let me know what you think are the best options out there. thanks a lot guys

blackraven
01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
What is going to power the speakers, an amp/receiver or do you need powered speakers? You are going to be hard pressed to find deep, powerful bass in that price range with out a subwoofer.

For non powered speakers that you need an amp to power, these infinity P163 are probably the best you can do with that budget. You would have to get an adapter for the AUX to split the signal for regular speaker binding posts-

Harman Audio - P163BK (http://www.harmanaudio.com/Search_Browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=P163BK&status=)

I bought an older pair of the 162's for my Daughter. They sound decent for the price. They can put out decent mid bass with the right amp with tone controls and the right CD player or DAC. But you are asking a lot for a $200 budget. You will need to spend about $350 to 500 for some nice mid bass

For powered speakers that have their own built in amps, take a look at M-Audio and Audio engine speakers. The M-Audio BX-8's can pump out some bass but they are $300pr

Mr Peabody
01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
What do you mean by "wall adaptor"? I hope you don't mean the AC outlet. What will you be driving the speakers with? If you have wire inside the wall you can use a wall jack of your choice, the plugs can be connected to the speaker no problem. It will be tough to get the sound you are looking for on your budget..

markw
02-01-2013, 06:48 AM
For that price and considering he's not planing on buying separates, one only gets so much "good loud bass"

I think he's talking about powered speakers. In such case, he's kindsa limited and, for his price range, I'd be looking at "2.1" computer speakers or perhaps the small Audioengine 2.0, very fine speakers but certainly will not satisfy his expectations..

Rather than bang my head against the wall trying to explain all the ins and outs of this request, I'll suggest OP go to google and search on "powered speakers" so he can see what he's up against.

blackraven
02-01-2013, 10:23 AM
New egg has a cheap polk subwoofer for $99 that you can pair with those infinity P163 speakers that will give you cheap sounding bass. Or you could pair it with the smaller infinity P153's and save about $15, but I would spend the extra coin for the 163's if you decide to go that route.

Newegg.com - Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer Each (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-N82E16882290034&gclid=CNKbmsvelbUCFct7Qgod1S0A9g)

Harman Audio - P153BK (http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=P153BK&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=30-112072275-2)