Hi, I'm New and Need Help With My System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm New and Need Help With My System

01jeremy01
01-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi, I have a basic 2-channel, budget system that I put together a few years ago. It has some very good components, but I don't think I'm getting the best sound out of it. Plus, there's next to no low end, unfortunately. It consists of:

2 Tannoy Eyris DC1 Bookshelf Speakers with Dual Concentric Drivers (the predecessor to the Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6)

Arcam A18 Amplifier
PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
Blue Jeans Cable Interconnects

And a source of 256kps AAC to ALAC streamed over an Airport Express connected via optical to the DAC.

I don't know what's wrong. I know the speakers have a great high end and vocals sound fantastic. And that when I tried a lesser DAC (the Music Hall modded) it took away a lot of high end and gave the speakers a lot of base back. So am I just using the wrong DAC or amp now? Would the Airport Express or optical cable take away base? Any ideas?

blackraven
01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Thats a very nice system you have there. I don't know a thing about the airport express but the optical is not the issue. It is an issue of system matching. It could be the amp or the DAC. Obviously the speakers and amp can produce the bass with the Music Hall DAC so it must be poor matching with the PS Audio DAC which is some what surprising. You should take a look at a Benchmark DAC. I would see if your local HiFi store will let you audition some DACS in home.

01jeremy01
01-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Maybe you're right...but that just seems really weird. Everyone loves the PS Audio while not so many people like the Arcam. So I'm just surprised that the DAC would be the weak link here.

I don't know if there are any more local Hifi stores in my area (Los Angeles), but I'll try and look.

Anyone have any experience with these components who can give me a better idea of what's wrong??

JoeE SP9
01-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Doing a Google search for audio dealers in LA brought up 76 listings from the LA Yellow Pages! Even if most of them sell low and mid-fi it would seem you still have plenty to choose from.

01jeremy01
01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
I've done that google search and been to all the ones that looked promising, and ended up getting my speakers from one. But those listings are mostly car audio or else more focused on video and surround sound (5.1 or 7.1 systems.) I've yet to see one that sells standalone DACs. If anyone has good experience with one in particular they can recommend, please let me know. Maybe I'll try the place where I got my speakers, but even then they were selling old stock so they could make way for new video equipment.

JoeE SP9
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately all too many B&M stores have moved to pushing AV. I thank providence that the Philadelphia/Delaware Valley area is well supplied with a number of places to audition and buy the good audio stuff.