Any Deadwood fans out there? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Deadwood fans out there?

JSE
04-20-2004, 07:53 AM
I must say that this has been one of my favorite shows recently. I have never really been a Western fan, but this is no ordinary western.

I hated to see Wild Bill go so fast, but I am guessing Montana will pick up the slack in the next episodes. He is already going after Bill's killer.

Looks like in the next couple of episode there will be some girl on girl action as well with the Widow Ms. Garret and the head Whore, Trixie. No punn intended, well yes it was.

The story is a little hard to follow sometimes but it seems to keep my attention pretty well. All Swearengen makes the show and does an incredible job with his character. He is pretty ruthless. Calamity Jane is pretty funny but is a little irritating as well.

So anyone like Deadwood?

JSE

Worf101
04-21-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm a fan of Westerns in general and I wanted to see what HBO could do to the western for a change of pace. Hell, well it certainly ain't like the "oaters" or "horse operas" I grew up watching on Channel 11 and 5 as a kid. Language, dirty dealings, Hoe's etc... amazing. I kinda like it, but it hasn't done for the western what the Soprano's has done for crime dramas... simple as that.

Da Worfster

Woochifer
04-21-2004, 10:57 AM
I'd have to say that the show does take some chances. I found some of the early episodes hard to follow, but now some of the story threads are starting to bear fruit and I've found the last couple of episodes a lot more interesting than the earlier ones.

Good to hear that the lesbian action meets with the Worfster's approval. :) I have to agree though that Deadwood hasn't done to its genre what The Sopranos did to Mafia dramas, then again very few shows do that. Deadwood's pretty bold drama and worth watching for that reason alone, especially with network TV slipping off the "reality" deep end.

JSE
04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Deadwood's pretty bold drama and worth watching for that reason alone, especially with network TV slipping off the "reality" deep end.

Boy that's the truth. I bet 4 to 5 years ago, 75 to 80% of my TV viewing was either ABC, CBS, NBC and some Fox. Now, I think it's probaly flip-flopped. I watch network TV about 15 to 20% at most. The shows just suck. The comedy shows are not even funny any more. There really are not any regulars that I just have to see anymore on these stations. Reality shows are over the top and now dominate the time. There are a couple of good ones, but 98% of them are crap.

JSE

PPG
04-27-2004, 12:51 PM
They go too far with all that foul language, for my tastes. I don't believe they talked that rough back then. This makes them the "Sopranos of the West", huh? No thanks.