"The Dark Knight Returns" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "The Dark Knight Returns"

Worf101
01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
"The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1)" - "B" - This is the animated version of Frank Miller's Batman reboot from the early 1980's. That particular limited run series along with "The Watchmen" (which I also read and loved) marked the comic's graduation from "comics" to "graphic novels". "The Dark Knight Returns" tell's the story of an aging Batman now 10 years retired forced/drawn from retirement to fight new and old threats to Gotham and in the end... "The Big Blue Boy Scout" himself. Miller's work while ground breaking in the 80's seems dated and anachronistic now, particularly his attempt to project how street gangs would speak and look 20 to 30 years in the future, he got it wrong... terribly wrong. Still the animation from Warners is good if not Pixar or Disney and the story is solid. You could do worse. An interesting double feature with "The Dark Knight Rises" since both came out this year.
Worf

dean_martin
01-16-2013, 01:54 PM
"The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1)" - "B" - This is the animated version of Frank Miller's Batman reboot from the early 1980's. That particular limited run series along with "The Watchmen" (which I also read and loved) marked the comic's graduation from "comics" to "graphic novels". "The Dark Knight Returns" tell's the story of an aging Batman now 10 years retired forced/drawn from retirement to fight new and old threats to Gotham and in the end... "The Big Blue Boy Scout" himself. Miller's work while ground breaking in the 80's seems dated and anachronistic now, particularly his attempt to project how street gangs would speak and look 20 to 30 years in the future, he got it wrong... terribly wrong. Still the animation from Warners is good if not Pixar or Disney and the story is solid. You could do worse. An interesting double feature with "The Dark Knight Rises" since both came out this year.
Worf

If that rich uncle ever dies and leaves me money, or I hit the lotto, publisher's clearinghouse or something, I'm going to Comic-Con and I'm taking you with me. We can drive cross-country (maybe in a big-assed luxury motor home), drink beer from cans and eat Doritos and beef jerky. Who knows, maybe we can pick up a few other AR members along the way? Of course we'll all need to be in costumes which you get to pick! No kidding.

Worf101
01-18-2013, 10:23 AM
If that rich uncle ever dies and leaves me money, or I hit the lotto, publisher's clearinghouse or something, I'm going to Comic-Con and I'm taking you with me. We can drive cross-country (maybe in a big-assed luxury motor home), drink beer from cans and eat Doritos and beef jerky. Who knows, maybe we can pick up a few other AR members along the way? Of course we'll all need to be in costumes which you get to pick! No kidding.

Errr did you just watch the movie "Paul". If not, rent it, view it, then decide if we want to do the whole two guys in a Winnie going to Comic-Con type thing... seriously!

Worf

PS, I'm either "Rorshach, The Shadow (no jokes you spuds)

Worf

dean_martin
01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Errr did you just watch the movie "Paul". If not, rent it, view it, then decide if we want to do the whole two guys in a Winnie going to Comic-Con type thing... seriously!

Worf

PS, I'm either "Rorshach, The Shadow (no jokes you spuds)

Worf

Are you saying you don't want to meet an alien?

Worf101
01-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Are you saying you don't want to meet an alien?

Not while sober... and I don't drink. If the little thing was as cool as Paul... sure. But most aliens ain't very friendly of late. They always seem to come down here startin' ar ruckus of some sort!!!!

"I coulda been at a barbecue!!!"

Worf

markw
01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
I haven't seen this one yet but I did read the book. TDKRises seems to have pulled a wee bit of the plot from this one, though.

And, as for the road trip, I'd like to join, but i don't wanna be Aquaman. He sucks! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3yb-Zuykfc)

dean_martin
01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
I haven't seen this one yet but I did read the book. TDKRises seems to have pulled a wee bit of the plot from this one, though.

And, as for the road trip, I'd like to join, but i don't wanna be Aquaman. He sucks! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3yb-Zuykfc)
Cool! Mark your calendar . . . Mark.