Miller & Keisel 75 Mark 2 sub worth fixing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Miller & Keisel 75 Mark 2 sub worth fixing?

PaBowHunter340
01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Is my broken Miller & Keisel 75 Mark 2 sub worth fixing? I bought it about 8 years ago from a local dealer. Last week it simply lost power and does not function.

The sub was fantastic.

I suppose my questions are:
1. What do you think is wrong?
2. Is it easy and cheap (because I'll probably do it myself) to fix?
3. Should I allow pro to fix it?
4. Is it a good sub? Or is my complete inexperience that made it sound good?

Thanks....

blackraven
01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Check if there is a fuse in the subs power amp that blew. If not it may be that the subs amp has just died. You could do better on the used market at audiogon.com

dingus
01-15-2013, 09:55 PM
if the trouble is not with the fuses a decent class d plate amp can be had for under $150 online from places like parts express and others.

they are not terribly hard to install and usually a lot cheaper than buying another sub.

mitchellin
01-16-2013, 07:34 AM
"The sub was fantastic."

I suppose my questions are:
1. What do you think is wrong? -No idea on specifics but the amp needs to be removed and serviced.
2. Is it easy and cheap (because I'll probably do it myself) to fix?- Removal of the plate amp is very simple. Carefully remove the screws that secure the plate amp to the back of the enclosure. Once these are removed you should be able to lift the amp out and remove the power connections to the speaker.
3. Should I allow pro to fix it? -Yes. Locate a reputable repair shop in your area and seek out an estimate for repair. Otherwise, Ken Kreisel is back in business and you could try to email him for ideas on repair.
4. Is it a good sub? Or is my complete inexperience that made it sound good?" - I have nothing but respect for M&K products. Really, my opinion does not matter...what matters is what YOU think about the sub. If "Fantastic" is how you describe the performance, then an attempt to repair and should be executed.

-If you look at the tech manual for the V Series subs, they provide a substantial list of replacement fuses for each model. It would be very nice if you only had to replace a fuse!

-If the cost to repair is more than say $200.00 you might weigh the option to replace it with a new sub. The options are many and incredible performance starts around $600.00.

-I would not replace the OEM amp with a aftermarket plate amp. The designs and efficiency of the plate amps offered at Parts Express are not the same as the one that came in your V75 MK2. Moreover, you will need to cover the old opening where the OEM amp once called home...the replacement amp will not be the same dimensions.

-Summary, you have some options but I would highly encourage you to keep the repair as original as possible and within a reasonable cost. If you cannot do this, start looking at new subs to replace the M&K.

PaBowHunter340
01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Well, I tried replacing the fuse and it immediately blew the fuse out. I tried another and the same result, so I unplugged it and I'm seeking guidance.
Is it more than likely the amp? Do you think there are replacement amps out there still for this sub? I hate to toss it out in the trash, because it's in great condition, less the fact it doesn't work.
I've tried calling Ken Kreisel's store, but surprisingly nobosy has called me back to give advice or options. I've sent an e-mail and I'm currently waiting for a response.
I removed the AMP from the back of the box, but I cannot see any obvious problems such as burned circuitry. Can I test the amp somehow?

Thanks for your help.....

dingus
01-30-2013, 06:05 PM
having someone diagnose the amp is going to add an additional expense to any repairs that are needed. other options are a different sub altogether (try craigslist) or replacing the plate amp.