Built in speakers - need help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Built in speakers - need help

panewebie
01-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I am asking for help. I don't understand this stuff and am hopeful someone is able to offer advice.

I recently purchased a condo. The previous owners described how every room of the house is wired for audio. And, yes, I see built in speakers in every room. But, during the 12 years they lived there they never used them. I presume this is the access panel (shown below) but none of my cords/cable seem to fit into the red/black holes. What type of connector is this? How do I get music to play through the built in speakers? What sort of equipment do I need? Thank you for the help, and please excuse my ignorance.

markw
01-12-2013, 03:55 PM
On the top panel, the connoctor on the right is an "F" connector. These are used for RF type sighnals suc as TV/FM antennas or cable TV.

I have no idea what the "12 VDC is, nor what it would be used for.

As for the bottom two panels, these appear to be single banana jacks which are usually used for banana plugs, which are usually used for speaker connectors. The general convention is red = "+" an black = "-".

There are enough jacks for four stereo pairs.

As to what's behind the wall, and what they are connected to, if anything, you're pretty much on your own.

Are there speakers mouted already? We MIGHT be able help a little there if there is and you're a gambling man.

blackraven
01-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I would consult a company that installs in wall systems. The 12v could be for a switching device as many are 12v.