speaker posts and cross-over? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker posts and cross-over?

mihi
01-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Hi I just got a used pair of KEF C-40s and one arrived with one speaker post broken. Is there an easy way to fix that? I opened up the box by taking the bottom woofer out and pulling back the "stuffing" and there is a cross over i presume on the other side where the speaker posts must enter the speaker. Could someone please explain what i am looking at and if this is something a DIY can fix? Much appreciated.

Kursun
01-12-2013, 03:20 AM
It should be a fairly easy job replacing both posts with posts similar to those:
2pair Speaker Banana Terminal Long Binding Post RBL Ct I | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pair-Speaker-Banana-Terminal-Long-Binding-Post-RBL-ct-i-/390507494894?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item5aec0f7dee)

You should take out the existing posts and examine them of course before ordering new ones.

mihi
01-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Kursun, thank you for your reply. It may seem obvious but I've never fixed a speaker post before. I really appreciate the link :)

Kursun
01-12-2013, 08:52 AM
On the bright side it seems you do not need any soldering iron.
Just be sure to note the polarity (+/-) of the corresponding terminals on the circuit board. Black post to (-) and red post to (+) terminal on board… I can see a (+) on the board…

Take out the black post and take note of its diameter and length of its screw.
(Its diameter should be fairly standard. But its length should not be shorter than the back panel + ~ 10-15 mm. It can be a little longer)
Good luck.

mihi
01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks for insight Kursun. I just got the posts out today ... ordered the ones you suggested and now can't wait to get this pair back in stereo! i noticed on the one speaker the mids and highs are tight and very revealing.