Seeking ideas around problem with new amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seeking ideas around problem with new amp

mihi
01-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi everyone very good night to you all. This is my first post and bummer it has to be about my troubled amp! I am in the middle of an upgrade to my audio system.

I just purchased an adcom 5300 amp to run my upgraded CC (Martin Logan Fresco). I read some really good reviews on the amp (Adcom 5300 80/wpc) and just got it. I wanted to try it out real quick so hooked up to Onkyo preamp outs L/R to Adcom L/R running 2 Cerwin Vega AT-12 speakers. receiver is rated at 130 wpc btw. adcom amp 80 wpc and speakers 200 rms i believe.

The audition didn't go so well. The sound was pretty good. I mean as good as you can get out of the vegas. Noticible different then just running off the Onkyo though which surprised me. Anyway, then under modest volume I hear a "CRACK" or "POP". I played with the volume some and listened for a few more minutes and then another "POP". When I turned the Amp off there was a loud BUZZ.

My uncle told me to start to eliminate things. So I rewired the speakers on the amp left to right, right to left and switched the input cables from the receiver. The problem followed the other speaker. Further info is that i have another amp that i just hooked up the exact same way and the music is very sweet with no issues at any volume so i deduce that my receiver preamp outs are fine, the component cable connects are fine, the speaker wire is fine, the speakers are fine and it has to be the new (used) Adcom amp left channel?

right?

does that mean the amp is broke?

Thanks for any info as this is my first foray into separate amps and I'd like some input on if i may have blown the channel it or if it is more likely that I received that way? or maybe I am doing something wrong ...

-Michael

Feanor
01-12-2013, 06:18 AM
The audition didn't go so well. The sound was pretty good. I mean as good as you can get out of the vegas. Noticible different then just running off the Onkyo though which surprised me. Anyway, then under modest volume I hear a "CRACK" or "POP". I played with the volume some and listened for a few more minutes and then another "POP". When I turned the Amp off there was a loud BUZZ.

does that mean the amp is broke?

Thanks for any info as this is my first foray into separate amps and I'd like some input on if i may have blown the channel it or if it is more likely that I received that way? or maybe I am doing something wrong ...

-Michael
Yes, it's broken.

Others might be better able to say what's wrong and the likelihood that it can be fixed for reasonable cost.

dean_martin
01-12-2013, 09:14 AM
I had a similar experience with an Acurus stereo amp I bought "slightly" used. As soon as I hooked it up, one channel blew taking out a tweeter in one of my speakers with it. I sent the amp to Klipsch (who bought Mondial which made the amp). Of course they blamed me, but fixed it nonetheless for not too much. The speaker was repaired under warranty. Audiolab, the dealer for the Acoustic Energy speaker, was much more cooperative and nicer compared to Klipsch.

I have no suggestions for you, but I can empathize.

mihi
01-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Lucky the ebayer will take back no problem ... thanks for comments.

jkillen
05-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes, I agree with Feanor. If you cut the power to your amp, and get a loud buzz, it surely has problems