New Neighbor in Town! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Neighbor in Town!

cxgarc5
01-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Hello, everyone. Just signed up and wanted to say hello. Got here because I wanted to look up information on old Altec speakers that I have and have been using them as end tables. They are old and HEAVY. I'm getting ready to move and am not sure if I want to take them with me. I started reading some of the posts here and everyone seems friendly and knowledgeable here. Can anyone tell me what info I need to find out anything about these? There is a sticker on the back that says 872A Speaker System - Impedance 8 OHMS - Ser# 1635 391150. Should I open them up to see what is inside? Any info would help.

Thanks,
Carol

Hyfi
01-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Welcome to AR.

I googled your speakers, Altec Madrid 872A, and they are probably pretty good if working or can be fixed up if the surrounds are shot. There are many members over at AudioKarma that would jump all over these speakers if for sale or found on craigslist.

cxgarc5
01-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks, I'll go over to AudioKarma. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to rid of them. I inherited these when I moved into the house and have been using them a end tables but after reading about how good these speakers are here on this site, I might just hang on to them and actually use them as speakers and not tables.

Hyfi
01-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I would use them for both but be careful your beer does not vibrate to the edge and fall over.

thekid
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Welcome to AR!

Those early Altec's can be surprisingly good! Well worth the effort IMO to get them up and running. AK has a much more active community with regards to vintage gear and should a big help. This site has some very knowledgeable people on whole range of audio/video gear and topics as well so it is well worth hanging out here as well.

cxgarc5
01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Are you kidding me?? My beer would never sit that long to vibrate off. That would be alcohol abuse if it did!!!

Hyfi
01-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Are you kidding me?? My beer would never sit that long to vibrate off. That would be alcohol abuse if it did!!!

LOL

I also did not want to send you away from here as said above, lots of good people and info, but AK has a shedload of Vintage Dumpster Divers more so than here.