Can I split the digital output from my computer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I split the digital output from my computer?

SkiFastBadly
12-31-2012, 11:31 AM
I have a digital PCM signal coming out of my computer to an external DAC. The DAC works fine, it's a Adcom DCA 700, but I'm thinking of adding another DAC to handle higher sampling rates. I don't want to replace the Adcom because it decodes HDCD. I'd like to run both. The computer only has the one digital output. Is it possible to spit the signal, or is there a switch of some sort available?

Feanor
12-31-2012, 12:06 PM
I have a digital PCM signal coming out of my computer to an external DAC. The DAC works fine, it's a Adcom DCA 700, but I'm thinking of adding another DAC to handle higher sampling rates. I don't want to replace the Adcom because it decodes HDCD. I'd like to run both. The computer only has the one digital output. Is it possible to spit the signal, or is there a switch of some sort available?
What you are wanting is a S/PDIF signal splitter. With a quick search I wasn't able to find an S/PDIF signal splitter although they likely exist.

However get the new DAC you want and try it with an HDCD-encoded file see hows it compares for sound quality with you Adcom. You may find the new DAC sounds better even if it isn't equipped for HDCD decoding. Bear in mind that what HDCD does is to expand the effective bit depth to 20 bits from 16 which provides additional dynamic range. However on non-classical CDs dynamic range rarely exceeds the standard 16 bit capability.

Note that HDCD encoding is only retained by ripping from CD to a lossless format, e.g. WAV, FLAC, ALAC. Furthermore you must have bit-perfect output from you computer to an HDCD DAC for HDCD to work.

SkiFastBadly
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Note that HDCD encoding is only retained by ripping from CD to a lossless format, e.g. WAV, FLAC, ALAC. Furthermore you must have bit-perfect output from you computer to an HDCD DAC for HDCD to work.

Thanks. I found a device that will split the signal, it's $120. I was hoping for something simpler (cheaper). Regarding HDCD, I ripped about half my CDs as WAV files but then I learned about the limitations of WAV tagging and moved to WMA Lossless. In either case, the HDCD is preserved, which I know because the HDCD light on the DAC illuminates with HDCD files are played. Also, I can hear the difference because having that light on makes me think they sound better. :)

Feanor
12-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks. I found a device that will split the signal, it's $120. I was hoping for something simpler (cheaper). Regarding HDCD, I ripped about half my CDs as WAV files but then I learned about the limitations of WAV tagging and moved to WMA Lossless. In either case, the HDCD is preserved, which I know because the HDCD light on the DAC illuminates with HDCD files are played. Also, I can hear the difference because having that light on makes me think they sound better. :)
Good to hear then. When I used my old, HDCD DAC, the light came on reliably when I used Foobar2000 with Vista WASAPI driver or my sound card's ASIO driver, but didn't reliably come on using iTunes.

Personally I didn't hesitate to try a new DAC without HDCD. In my case the new DAC was better overall including HDCD encoded. Now with Foobar0 I use an HDCD decoding plug-in; in effect Foobar sends a 20bit signal to the new DAC which can handle up to 24/96.

noddin0ff
01-02-2013, 03:59 AM
Is it possible to spit the signal, or is there a switch of some sort available?

I assume you're looking to split an optical signal? Here's your $7.50 solution.
Toslink Digital Optical Audio Splitter 180-964 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=180-964)

SkiFastBadly
01-19-2013, 01:23 PM
I assume you're looking to split an optical signal? Here's your $7.50 solution.
Toslink Digital Optical Audio Splitter 180-964 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=180-964)

Not working...completely. I think the issue is that my cheap Chinese Toslink cables combined with the fact that the splitter 'halves' the light intensity prevents a good enough signal. Hence, I am unable to get both DACs working at the same time. The variance in cost in the cables is amazing they can be had for a couple of bucks on Amazon or Ebay, or $24 at Target. I assume the magnitude difference in cost is related to the clarity/transparency of the cable....

Feanor
01-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Not working...completely. I think the issue is that my cheap Chinese Toslink cables combined with the fact that the splitter 'halves' the light intensity prevents a good enough signal. Hence, I am unable to get both DACs working at the same time. The variance in cost in the cables is amazing they can be had for a couple of bucks on Amazon or Ebay, or $24 at Target. I assume the magnitude difference in cost is related to the clarity/transparency of the cable....
Like I said in my earlier post, before worrying about it further, listen to you new DAC and see if you are really missing the HDCD decoding. If you listen with an open mind, you might well decide that your new DAC without HDCD is actually better overall than the old one with HDCD.

Smokey
01-20-2013, 08:38 PM
The variance in cost in the cables is amazing they can be had for a couple of bucks on Amazon or Ebay, or $24 at Target. I assume the magnitude difference in cost is related to the clarity/transparency of the cable....Since we are dealing with digital optical signal, the magnitude difference in cost probably will give you better quality optical cables such as using glass instead of plastic. But this might not always be the case as local dealers prices on accessories seem to be higher than on the web.

noddin0ff
02-05-2013, 04:37 PM

That's too bad. For what it's worth, I'm very happy with optical cables I have from Parts Express as well.

Could also be that the laptop isn't bright enough, I suppose.

Also FWIW, HDCD disks often sound better to me even when played on non-decoding players. I'm sceptical as to how much more information in the format one really hears... Perhaps, artists going HDCD just record better in the first place.

TLCW
03-05-2013, 02:10 PM
If you have a spare USB connector, an alternative is using USB to coaxial converter like this:

HA INFO USB to Coaxial (S/PDIF) Converter External Sound Card - DinoDirect.com (http://www.dinodirect.com/converter-external-sound-card-ha-info-usb-coaxial/AFFID-33.html?cur=GBP)

You may search for similar products and cheaper.