YHT-397 and speaker ohm setting? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : YHT-397 and speaker ohm setting?

recrum
12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
just purchased a Yamaha yht-397 system. The speakers included with it are rated 6 ohm but the receiver at it's factory setting is set for 8 ohm. Has anyone who owns this system bothered with changing it to the correct setting of 6 ohms.

Smokey
12-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I would leave the receiver's ohm setting at 8 ohms as this setting will give your speakers full power output. The ohm settings on the amps are there to protect it from lower ohm speakers that may draw too much current.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-30-2012, 03:47 PM
just purchased a Yamaha yht-397 system. The speakers included with it are rated 6 ohm but the receiver at it's factory setting is set for 8 ohm. Has anyone who owns this system bothered with changing it to the correct setting of 6 ohms.

Unless you are going to play your music or movies very loud, and not use a subwoofer, I wouldn't worry about the whether the ohm setting is 6 or 8. I have some 4 ohm minimonitors that I use with and Onkyo reciever set to 8 ohms. Since I used a sub to handle the bass, I have had zero problem with this arraingment.