Matching input impedance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Matching input impedance

hifirookie
04-19-2004, 08:43 PM
I have a pair of Joseph Audio monitors (RM7si) as the front channels, and thinking about adding a center channel for HT. An attractive deal was offered on a Dynaudio Contour (T2.1), but I'm not sure how it will match up with my JA. (JA's impedance = 8ohm vs T2.1's = 6ohm nominal). Will this create any technical mismatch ? How about sonically ? Intuitively, the lower resistive load will be easier for an amp to drive - Is that right ? My amp is rated at 200w/ch with 8 ohm so I don't think this will be any problem.

Also, T2.1 is rear-ported. Will this have any problem with low frequency if it's placed in a tight cabinet (6" clearance in the back at best) ?

Thanks in advance for you inputs.

topspeed
04-20-2004, 07:08 AM
I have a pair of Joseph Audio monitors (RM7si) as the front channels, and thinking about adding a center channel for HT. An attractive deal was offered on a Dynaudio Contour (T2.1), but I'm not sure how it will match up with my JA. (JA's impedance = 8ohm vs T2.1's = 6ohm nominal). Will this create any technical mismatch ? How about sonically ? Intuitively, the lower resistive load will be easier for an amp to drive - Is that right ? My amp is rated at 200w/ch with 8 ohm so I don't think this will be any problem.

Also, T2.1 is rear-ported. Will this have any problem with low frequency if it's placed in a tight cabinet (6" clearance in the back at best) ?

Thanks in advance for you inputs.

Unfortunately, the only way to tell if the Dane will match your JA's is to hook them all up and see how they play together. Because timbre matching across the front stage is paramount for both HT and hi-rez, don't you think you'd be better off with JA's own center channel? After all, that's what it was created for. Sure, you may save some dough on the Dane but at what cost to the coherence of your rig?

The impedence issue isn't one. In other words, don't worry about it. Also, the numerically lower impedence is actually harder for the amp to push. However, unless it starts to really dive below 3 ohms, most amps today don't have problem unless you listen at deafening levels.

The rear port on the 2.1 could pose a problem in such a small area. With no place for the air to go, you may experience "chuffing" or distortion at the port at higher volumes. I'd look for front ported (like JA's center) or acoustic suspension designs for your center.

Good luck and I hope this helps.