Balancing Bass with different sources [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Bass with different sources

Smokey
12-22-2012, 10:51 PM
I had to move my subwoofer to new location and now trying to zero it in for balanced bass via different settings on the subwoofer (volume and frequency).

The problem I am running into is that when switching between sources on the receiver (CD, DVD, internet/PC audio, MP3, TV, FM), each source tend to have different bass response. For example, FM tend to be bass heavy while internet audio is a bit bass shy. And everything else is in between.

So wondering how you guys adjust subwoofer settings to have a balance output between each source that tend to have its own [bass] signature.

Thanks

Hyfi
12-23-2012, 05:54 AM
My Integra 30.3 allows you to alter for each input after setting up the Audyssey. For my 2 Ch setup. it's usually just a CD Player and no tone controls. I usually don't use the sub for 2Ch.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I had to move my subwoofer to new location and now trying to zero it in for balanced bass via different settings on the subwoofer (volume and frequency).

The problem I am running into is that when switching between sources on the receiver (CD, DVD, internet/PC audio, MP3, TV, FM), each source tend to have different bass response. For example, FM tend to be bass heavy while internet audio is a bit bass shy. And everything else is in between.

They all have different bass characteristics because they are mixed differently, and pass through different sources. FM seems bass heavy because the high frequencies are rolled off at the transmitter. That changes its spectral tilt towards the low frequencies. Most CD's are not mixed with subwoofer, but full range towers or soffit mounted speakers. TV and DVD's were mixed with subwoofers, but there are no rules for mixing bass for TV like there are for movies(that is changing though). Internet radio was not designed to be heard on large speakers, just desktop speakers with their limited bass capabilities. MP3 was mixed for headphones - which is how most folks listen to it. With these facts, there is no way to really set the sub for each source, or you will be spending more time at that than listening to music or watching movies.

So wondering how you guys adjust subwoofer settings to have a balance output between each source that tend to have its own [bass] signature.

Thanks

I start off with proper treatment and calibration(make sure my room is as neutralized as possible), and proper positioning(distributed bass is best), and let the chips fall where they may. There is no way to optimize for every source, so I would target the one I listen to the most. For me that would be disc based movies and music, and my digital files.

recoveryone
12-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah what Sir TT said :)... FM has always been bass heavy and will always throw off your settings for other sources. If possible set your source settings to 2ch for FM and 5.1/DDPL/ for others.

mitchellin
12-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I guess everyone will have a different taste as to how much/little bass they have in any one source setting. My goal is to always get the most out of my left and right mains and have the subs compliment that effort.
Depending on what sub/subs I am using in my system, I find output levels vary...nontheless, I never really have to set the sub output past 1/3 value and pre out signal level from my receiver can vary from -5 to +2, depending on the source.
If I notice a specific source is heavy or light in the bass dept, I simply adjust the pre-out signal to make it sound good to me.

Smokey
12-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks Hyfi and recoveryone. My reciever don't allow for differentt settings for each input, so only option for calibration is settings on the subwoofer. Like to leave sub on even for 2ch sources as it give system better over all sound quality.

They all have different bass characteristics because they are mixed differently, and pass through different sources. FM seems bass heavy because the high frequencies are rolled off at the transmitter. That changes its spectral tilt towards the low frequencies. Most CD's are not mixed with subwoofer, but full range towers or soffit mounted speakers. TV and DVD's were mixed with subwoofers, but there are no rules for mixing bass for TV like there are for movies(that is changing though). Internet radio was not designed to be heard on large speakers, just desktop speakers with their limited bass capabilities. MP3 was mixed for headphones - which is how most folks listen to it.
That is good information to know as diiferent bass biasing is very apparent from multiple sources. Beside the CD, digital files such as hi bit MP3s have the best bass responce. So those two inputs are used as a bass reference point to zero in other sources.

It is kind of tricky as even the slightest adjustment on subwoofer's volume or frequency controls makes a diffrenece in term of bass sound quality.

I guess everyone will have a different taste as to how much/little bass they have in any one source setting. My goal is to always get the most out of my left and right mains and have the subs compliment that effort.I don't like too heavy bass sound so tend to be very conservative with sub's output. One trick was to plug up the port on subwoofer (with rolledup socks :D) and it helped great deal in tightening the bass sound.

Glen B
01-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Doesn't your receiver have remote speaker level adjustments ? The HT preamps and AVRs I've owned, including my current Marantz unit, have all allowed for on-the-fly level adjustment of each speaker, including the sub(s). If I'm watching/listening to any material that has too much or too little bass, I simply decrease or increase the sub level by several dB. The unit also has remote bass/treble boost and cut of several dB.

BadAssJazz
01-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Further proof that I'm getting old: my bass requirements have changed.

Once upon a time I wanted the subwoofer on (and thumping!!!) for all sources, whether you're talking CD, DVD, Lp, Radio, TV, cassette, minidisc, digital music streamer, whatever.

Now, however, I only have it on when I'm watching a blu ray. My mains seem to provide more than adequate bass in the "stereo sans subwoofer" setting for all other applications. No, I can't exactly move the house off of its foundations without the subwoofer, but I no longer feel the need or desire to.

Talk about evolution or decay. I think I've become my parents. LOL

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Doesn't your receiver have remote speaker level adjustments ? The HT preamps and AVRs I've owned, including my current Marantz unit, have all allowed for on-the-fly level adjustment of each speaker, including the sub(s). If I'm watching/listening to any material that has too much or too little bass, I simply decrease or increase the sub level by several dB. The unit also has remote bass/treble boost and cut of several dB.

I think Smokey was trying to get away from the constant tweaking for different sources. He was looking for a global setting that would cover all sources, and there is no such thing really.

bfalls
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Both of my Emotiva processors (UMC-1/UMC-200) have three configurable EQ settings. You can program which you want to use per input in the input setup menu.

I normally use this function to setup multiple speaker systems. I use one for my Full-range Legacy system, another for my Klipsch system and the last for different satellite/sub systems (B&W, Scandyna Minipod, Emotiva ERM1/ERD1 system, NHT New Wave, T&A Stratos P-30/Triton 180). The first two stay pretty much the same, but I do have to re-EQ when switching to different Sat/Sub systems. I believe there are programmable EQs available, but most still like to use the auto-setup features of their receiver/processor.

Smokey
01-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Once upon a time I wanted the subwoofer on (and thumping!!!) for all sources, whether you're talking CD, DVD, Lp, Radio, TV, cassette, minidisc, digital music streamer, whatever. Now, however, I only have it on when I'm watching a blu ray. My mains seem to provide more than adequate bass in the "stereo sans subwoofer" setting for all other applications. No, I can't exactly move the house off of its foundations without the subwoofer, but I no longer feel the need or desire to.My mains are shelf speakers so sub take care of the bass. Even if speakers were full sized, I probably engage the subwoofer also as it give listener greater control over how bass sound. Full size speakers take away that option.

And yes, you are getting older :)

I think Smokey was trying to get away from the constant tweaking for different sources. He was looking for a global setting that would cover all sources, and there is no such thing really.Lets just say I'm learning to live with it :D

Like I mentioned had to move the subwoofer and new spot seem to work better in terms of bass clarity as bass sound from different inputs is more apparent. And tiniest adjustment on the subwoofer makes a difference. It is still work in progress, but subwoofer new location seem to sound better and measurements are 16 inch from side wall and 9 inch from back wall.
Both of my Emotiva processors (UMC-1/UMC-200) have three configurable EQ settings. You can program which you want to use per input in the input setup menu.

Although don't have that option, but I bet the EQ settings will be too broad in terms of bass management.

Woochifer
01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Two words: parametric equalizer

Level and tone controls, and placement will only get you so far in a typical room.

The Behringer Feedback Destroyer allows for multiple EQ profiles, and other posters on this board have deployed multiple profiles -- for example, using a flatter curve for music, while dialing in a more aggressive profile for movies. But, I wouldn't go overboard with trying to match bass with multiple sources. The main point of a PEQ to begin with is to give you as flat a bass response as possible. Your room will impose limits on just how flat you can get it, and the rest of it comes down to personal preference.