Happy Winter Solstice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Happy Winter Solstice

Smokey
12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Tonight-on the eve 20th and 21th of December-is longest and darkest night of year. In many cultures is celebrated in the memory of the victory of light over darkness, as tommorow days will get longer and nights shorter.

Feanor
12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Tonight-on the eve 20th and 21th of December-is longest and darkest night of year. In many cultures is celebrated in the memory of the victory of light over darkness, as tommorow days will get longer and nights shorter.
I'm confident it will be happy despite the end of the current Mayan "baktun" of 144,000 days that began on August 11, 3114 BC -- misconstrued by some to be the end of the world.

Smokey
12-20-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm confident it will be happy despite the end of the current Mayan "baktun" of 144,000 days that began on August 11, 3114 BC -- misconstrued by some to be the end of the world.That remind me of a joke I heard: If Mayan were good predictors, then why they didn't predict their own demise :)

Feanor
12-21-2012, 05:18 AM
I'm confident it will be happy despite the end of the current Mayan "baktun" of 144,000 days that began on August 11, 3114 BC -- misconstrued by some to be the end of the world.
To be more precise, August 11, 3114 BC was the beginning not of the current baktun, but of the current cycle of 13 baktuns which is ending today.

Feanor
12-21-2012, 05:23 AM
That remind me of a joke I heard: If Mayan were good predictors, then why they didn't predict their own demise :)
Latest research suggests that the big factor was climate change, (a century-long drought at least), combined with popular reaction to leaders who were supposed to get the Gods to bring rain but failed, and inter-city warfare.

Is there a lesson to be learned by today's leaders and citizens? Yes: will it be learned? Likely not.

JohnMichael
12-21-2012, 07:40 AM
The Winter Solstice the reason for the season. Christmas should be September 15th which is the date of Jeus' birth. He was born the first day of the Feast of Tabernacles in 5 BC. A monk made an error in calculations as to the year.

Smokey
12-21-2012, 09:41 PM
The Winter Solstice the reason for the season. Christmas should be September 15th which is the date of Jeus' birth. He was born the first day of the Feast of Tabernacles in 5 BC. A monk made an error in calculations as to the year.Its all good :)

Anytime we get a chance to get away from work for few days and spend it with family and friends is cause for celebration no matter who's birthday it is or might not be.

BTW.....

http://mycatbirdseat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Merry-Christmas.jpg

thekid
12-22-2012, 03:38 AM

Bring on the light!
I am already tired of going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark......