Quad and Leak - help ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quad and Leak - help !

vonrozen
12-15-2012, 08:00 AM
I am an audio virgin and thus have the following questions, having recently (for 550 UK p ounds) acquired a QUAD 33 pre amp , LEAK T 12 power amp+ and LEAK POINT ONE amp.

1. can I run them to listen to a CD player ?
2. How much sound quality would I loose out by having a mono amp (the Leak one )
3. Why have 3 amps anyway - should I not give one amp away ?

4. any comments on the price ...

Many Xmas greetings

Yours

Audio - virgin.

Mr Peabody
12-15-2012, 09:00 AM
You connect the CD player to the Quad preamp, connect the Quad preamp to the Leak power amp, the one that is stereo, then speakers to the power amp. I'm not sure what the mono amp is for unless the previous owner had a passive subwoofer (passive=no internal amp). Can't comment on price as I'm not so familiar with the resale of those brands. You need the preamp to switch your sources and control volume, the power amp will just drive the speakers.

I am an audio virgin and thus have the following questions, having recently (for 550 UK p ounds) acquired a QUAD 33 pre amp , LEAK T 12 power amp+ and LEAK POINT ONE amp.

1. can I run them to listen to a CD player ?
2. How much sound quality would I loose out by having a mono amp (the Leak one )
3. Why have 3 amps anyway - should I not give one amp away ?

4. any comments on the price ...

Many Xmas greetings

Yours

Audio - virgin.

vonrozen
12-16-2012, 06:22 AM
You connect the CD player to the Quad preamp, connect the Quad preamp to the Leak power amp, the one that is stereo, then speakers to the power amp. I'm not sure what the mono amp is for unless the previous owner had a passive subwoofer (passive=no internal amp). Can't comment on price as I'm not so familiar with the resale of those brands. You need the preamp to switch your sources and control volume, the power amp will just drive the speakers.

Can't I connect the CD player directly to the QUAD pre amp ? I am not an engeneer but since my aim is to have as little technical alteration of the sound I prefer not to mix a "cheap" Quad transistor and LEAK tubes

please explain as I desperately need some advice

thank you

Alex90659066

Mr Peabody
12-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Just because the preamp is transistor doesn't make it bad or good. In order to connect the CD player directly to the Leak the player needs a variable output, some way to control the volume. If your CD player has a fixed output your amp will play at it's maximum output.

You stated the Leak was a "power" amp, if it is an integrated amp then you are fine to connect the CD player direct to it. The integrated amp has the preamp section built in, the part with volume control and source connections. A power amp typically only has a power switch and a place to connect the speakers, no way to control volume.

vonrozen
12-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Just because the preamp is transistor doesn't make it bad or good. In order to connect the CD player directly to the Leak the player needs a variable output, some way to control the volume. If your CD player has a fixed output your amp will play at it's maximum output.

You stated the Leak was a "power" amp, if it is an integrated amp then you are fine to connect the CD player direct to it. The integrated amp has the preamp section built in, the part with volume control and source connections. A power amp typically only has a power switch and a place to connect the speakers, no way to control volume.

here they are, I thought it best to include the photos so that you see it. The Quad 33 is just an ordinary (integrated ) amp. So, can I get away using just the LEAKs ?

What about their quality ? I am after a high quality sound , not just listening to valve for valve's sake . You seem to know more about these things , so it' d great to hear what you say ...

thank you !

Hyfi
12-17-2012, 04:59 AM
From what I saw googling the above items, the Point One Plus is a Pre-Amp and the other one is an Amp. You should be able to take the Line Out from the Point Ont into the Input of the Amp and put your Source (CD or whatever) into one of the inputs on the Pre.