Totem v/s Monitor Audio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Totem v/s Monitor Audio

ken88
12-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Both manufacturers make great speakers. Which one, in your opinion, makes better speakers in the same price range in terms of clarity, sound stage, imaging, vocals, instrumentation reproduction, etc, etc. Thanks for all the input.

JohnMichael
12-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Both manufacturers make great speakers. Which one, in your opinion, makes better speakers in the same price range in terms of clarity, sound stage, imaging, vocals, instrumentation reproduction, etc, etc. Thanks for all the input.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's but have not yet heard Totem speakers. Monitor Audio speakers are what I think of as leading edge transient speakers. Very good with the attack but not much decay. To my ears the music is not complete. It is like a note from a spinet piano as compared to a full note from a grand piano. I tried every position in the room but try as hard as I might I could not like them for very long.

They do have clarity and they are okay with imaging. They just do not make music for me. I have a smaller stand mount speaker the Mobile Fidelity OML1's which image better and their smaller more solid cabinet allow for better soundstaging. Opposite of the MA RS6's they have good note decay but less attack.

What size of room do you have for your new speakers? What is your budget? Are you interested in floor standers or stand mount?

Lately I have been enjoying a new speaker. I find it gives me the best of both speakers. The best imaging of the three. A good balance of attack and decay. Great clarity and excellent detail. Now I am ready to move the MA RS6's to someone else's home.

ken88
12-13-2012, 06:18 PM
I am comparing, say, the floor standing Totem Sttaf v/s Monitor RX 8. Any opinions?? Thanks.

Mr Peabody
12-13-2012, 09:04 PM
I personally would choose the Totem. MA can be system dependent, on the wrong gear I would find them a bit fatiguing, but that's my taste, the highs are very lively, they do have good bass. The Totem I've heard had a balanced frequency response, no one area drew attention to itself but nothing was lacking either, and excellent imaging.

What will you be driving them with? Just stereo or are you doing home theater?

ken88
12-14-2012, 04:37 AM
I have the receiver Anthem MRX 700 to drive the 5.1 speakers system. I will be using the Totem /MA as front speakers and I listen mostly to music although I watch movies 25% of the time.

Mr Peabody
12-14-2012, 05:41 AM
I'm not familiar with the Anthem receiver so not sure which would mate best. What are you using for center?

ken88
12-14-2012, 09:07 AM
I got the Totem Mite T as centre speaker.

TheHills44060
12-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Not a fan of any Monitor Audio speaker whatsoever but I have heard some Totem's that i liked. The Model one, Hawk and Forest are decent but for what they are but maybe priced just a tad bit higher than similar competitors. Plus Monitor Audio speakers are so damn ugly to look at, bleh.

Mr Peabody
12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Having a Totem center is a good reason to go Totem mains, even if not a perfect timbre match with the model you get it would be closer than using Monitor Audio.I haven't seen the Silver series but the new Monitor Audio Gold looks pretty good with the piano black finish.

mitchellin
12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Have you listened to the Totem Sttaf or the Mite compacts? Those are your targets to aim in on with that Mite T center.

I took several chances to listen to the Sttaf columns and really try to decide why they would NOT work in a two channel system project. I failed at finding a reason...
-delicate highs
-rich and silky mids
-bass...yep. It's not in your face about it but the low end is surprising.
And all from a simple (diminutive) 2 way column. I just kept throwing music at these speakers to be really happy and involved with the sound.

The only drawback that I noticed was the lack of higher volume performance. These excelled at moderate levels but really did not blow me away with higher sound levels. Again, it is a small speaker and I was not trying to take quantity over quality from the package Totem has put together. All things considered, I'm sure they would never find a way into a HT system (sans a bedroom rig) but they sure fill my needs for a two channel system...YMMV.

Monitor Audio? I'm sure they are a capable company but I feel they are a bit overpriced. I auditioned some RX packages a few years back and ended up spending my money with Polk Audio...most of my audio circle choked and laughed when I made the purchase but I saved a ton of money and picked up a package of just as ugly cabs with better sound (imo).

Your Anthem will have zero problems with a Sttaf/Mite T/Mite compact package. 90 legit watts all channels driven is likely a conservative benchmark and the quality of power is something Anthem hangs a hat on.

Good luck with your hunt.

Mr Peabody
12-14-2012, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't label Monitor as over priced, they have several levels Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum, comparing to other brands in the same price they do well. In fact, the Silver RS-6 gained quite a reputation as a value to performance champ. You might think the GX300 at around $5k is expensive but it held it's own very well against a more expensive Revel, each had there own presentation but the 300 did well. MA is like any other speaker, it has a particular presentation and it suits you or it doesn't. MA and Polk would certainly have different characters.

What did you drive the Totem with at high volume?

ken88
12-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Mitchellin, I already have the Totem Sttaf, Mite T centre and the 2 Mite compacts as surround. I am very happy with this set of 5 speakers. The only thing I wish more with the Sttaf is to have deeper bass. When I review the Monitor Audio RX8 , I read that they have much deeper bass and I am thinking to myself if I replace the Sttaf with RX8, may be I would then have a "perfect"system. Is this a good idea? What are your thoughts?? Thanks.

JohnMichael
12-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Mitchellin, I already have the Totem Sttaf, Mite T centre and the 2 Mite compacts as surround. I am very happy with this set of 5 speakers. The only thing I wish more with the Sttaf is to have deeper bass. When I review the Monitor Audio RX8 , I read that they have much deeper bass and I am thinking to myself if I replace the Sttaf with RX8, may be I would then have a "perfect"system. Is this a good idea? What are your thoughts?? Thanks.

Oh did not know you already had a Totem system.

Mr Peabody
12-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Can't you set your receiver to use the sub when using 2-channel? If not, it would be a first.

Any way to listen to the RS-8? It will have more bass but will be an overall change in sound as well. If your HT is important at all you will definitely degrade the experience with mixed brands, EQ isn't going to help much there.

mitchellin
12-15-2012, 07:36 AM
What did you drive the Totem with at high volume?

The amp used for my auditions was a Jolida 302BRC. I'm thinking (and as you mentioned in another post) something with a 6550 would perform better...for me enter the Jolida 801ARC.

I auditoned the RX8. That speaker will produce some decent bass. What I found it failing at was mid, mid-bass, and the upper register. Too much sibilance for me in the mids, murky mid bass (lacking punch and definition), and the highs were WAY to bright. I moved about the room (off/on axis), changed up the discs I brought, played with tone control, moved the speakers around a bit, and nothing helped the areas that seemed unnatural to me. I moved on.

Just me, I would not sacrifice the middle and upper register of what the Sttaf can bring to my ears. Bass (or lack of here) is the issue. What sub have you employed in your system?

ken88
12-15-2012, 07:38 AM
I am just toying with the idea on how to get better bass from the system. The receiver is already set up with the sub. The bass is pretty good right now but as with everything else, you always want to improve to get the "best possible sound".

mitchellin
12-15-2012, 08:34 AM
I am just toying with the idea on how to get better bass from the system. The receiver is already set up with the sub. The bass is pretty good right now but as with everything else, you always want to improve to get the "best possible sound".

It is a journey for sure.

ken88
12-15-2012, 03:18 PM
My sub is a Polk Audio with a 8" driver (don't remember the model #). I am very happy with the Sttaf, they produce very detailed clarity with amazing sound stage and imaging. The vocals are excellent and as you said, the mids are just incredible. I guess there is no such thing as a "perfect" speaker!!!

Mr Peabody
12-15-2012, 03:42 PM
In my opinion keep your Totem and buy yourself a better sub, a 12" with a big amp. The Polk may be alright in a small application but yours requires moving more air and the more power you can afford the better, it takes power to produce bass and never hurts to have plenty of headroom.

Mr Peabody
12-15-2012, 03:44 PM
If you have access to Monitor Audio look at the Silver series subs they are pretty good. I'm partial myself to SVS but the options are many.

ken88
12-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Thank you Mr Peabody for your suggestion to look at the Monitor Audio subs. I have a better idea: I am checking out the Totem Storm subs !!!! I know they are pricey, may be I have to start saving my pennies from now on to afford one!!!! Anyone with the Totem Storm subs? If so, what are your thoughts? Are they good?

Franken-T
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
JUST MY 50 CENTS: From that why I am reading over the years and indeed owned year ago a pair of older bookshelf model of Monitor Audio I would blind purchase a Totem speaker ! I found the MA sounding anyhow "boxy". My opinion and impression about the Monitor Audio: they distribute (look at the newer designs) better than produce above average sounding speakers.

blackraven
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
If you are looking at subs and want to drop some coin, take a look at REL Britania line, JL Fathom subs. If you want a great sub for a great price, take a look at Rhythmik subs.

Rythmik Audio • Servo subwoofer products (http://rythmikaudio.com/products.html)

Sumiko Audio : REL (http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/idx_b.htm)

Home Audio - Powered Subwoofers - Fathom® (http://www.jlaudio.com/home-audio-powered-subwoofers-fathom)

But I can't agrue with SVS or HSU subs. I am also a fan of the more expensive Velodyne and Marin Logan servo subs.

Digital Drive PLUS Series - Subwoofers (http://velodyne.com/subwoofers/digital-drive-plus-series.html)

MartinLogan | Descent i (http://www.martinlogan.com/products/descenti)

Mr Peabody
01-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Blackraven, what are you talking about? Have you heard SVS? My SVS bests the Velodyne SPL I had in every aspect.

TheHills44060
01-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Blackraven, what are you talking about? Have you heard SVS? My SVS bests the Velodyne SPL I had in every aspect.
I want to hear one of the sealed SVS models. I don't like their cylinder models and i've only heard the ported box versions which I did not like better than the Velodyne SPL's.

mitchellin
01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Like TheHills points out, sealed vs. sealed might be a fair go at issues of SQ and value. Say a test of the SB12 vs. Velo SPL Ultra 1000/1200 models...I'm betting on the SB12 in any case.

Big boys? The SVS PB13 Ultra vs. Velo SPL1500R? I'm still spending my money with SVS.

Pitting a PC13 Ultra against a Velodyne SPL (any series/size) is really not a challenge. I think the PC is refined in the 13 Ultra version and it puts many upper comsumer grade subs to task...sealed or ported. Just watch out for those DIY guys.

Mr Peabody
01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
LOL, at least some one else around here knows what they are talking about Maybe my first, or only, SVS being a PC13 has me overly enthused on the brand. Usually though if one model is outstanding the others can't be far behind. The PC13 is fast and accurate, playing deeper than the SPL12 dreamed of going, the SPL12 basically could rumble for home theater but never was musical in my opinion. Another ax I have with the Velodyne it died within a couple years, after warranty of course, I should have gotten a replacement amp but just decided to move on. I owned the
SPL12 and the PC13 was it's direct replacement so I know very well the margin of improvement I experienced, large.

On another application I am going to try an older model Artison free standing sub. Most of their subs are in-wall. The design is interesting in that they use two 5x8's firing at one another to some how cancel noise and vibration, the model I'm using will have 4 drivers and supposed to be equivalent to a 13" standard woofer. The sub is passive and comes with a stand alone 600 watt amp. The amp has a high pass crossover which I will feed to my stereo amp to drive a set of Artison on-wall speakers. I'll have to start a thread when all is up and running.

Like TheHills points out, sealed vs. sealed might be a fair go at issues of SQ and value. Say a test of the SB12 vs. Velo SPL Ultra 1000/1200 models...I'm betting on the SB12 in any case.

Big boys? The SVS PB13 Ultra vs. Velo SPL1500R? I'm still spending my money with SVS.

Pitting a PC13 Ultra against a Velodyne SPL (any series/size) is really not a challenge. I think the PC is refined in the 13 Ultra version and it puts many upper comsumer grade subs to task...sealed or ported. Just watch out for those DIY guys.

mitchellin
01-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Oh I bet you took notice of your PC. I was in the same boat when I jumped ship with Sunfire and went to SVS.

RCC-600SM...looks interesting. For sure, post up some info on your project!

blackraven
01-08-2013, 10:01 PM

Mr.P, I didn't dis the SVS sub, I was just throwing out options. I have heard REL's, ML's, Velodynes and one of those tube SVS subs as well as a JL Fathom. My fav's for musicality and matching for my Magnepans are ranked as follows in descending order-
REL, JL Fathom, Martin Logans, Velodyne and then the SVS tube sub which I really did not care for. I tend to favor non ported and sevro controlled subs. Although the REL Britannia is ported, it is the most musical sub that I have heard. I have only been able to compare the REL's, Velodyne and ML subs directly. One of the things that I like about the Velodynes is that they come with an EQ and a remote control to change settings.

I have not heard a Rhytmik sub but I almost bought one and did a lot of research on them. People really like them. They are well made and have tight musical bass. They are a real bargain.

Mr Peabody
01-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Subs are like any other gear, it comes to personal preference, giving you guys a hard time. I don't hear any reason to prefer ported or a sealed sub, just depends on which can do the job. I do prefer the SVS though.

harley .guy07
01-09-2013, 10:28 PM
From my years in car audio and pro sound I would have to say that the design and implementation is much more important than if the sub is ported or sealed most of hte time. If a ported design is done right it can be just as musical and tight as a sealed design but people get a bad feeling about ported subs usually when they hear a couple that were poor designs where the bass is boomy or very peeked at certain frequencies but those are usually design flaws. A lot of DIYers and companies choose sealed inclosures mostly because they are much easier to design and get a musical performance out of since there are less variables to consider in the design. You are concerned with cabinet size, bracing, dampening, and power to the driver and there is not a port to worry about getting the right size and length and also if the port is shaped right to not add noise or take away from the performance in any way.
I am not saying that sealed is better than ported or vise versa I am just pointing out that both seald and ported can be musical, tight, and go low if the design and components all fall together to work the best they can.