Best Cost Efficient Wireless Headphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Cost Efficient Wireless Headphones

hershon
04-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Can someone please advise me what are the best cost efficient wireless head phones primarily for regular stereo - I'm going to use them mainly for watching TV, DVD's and Videos, late at night, though any input on surround sound is also welcome. My 4 important factors, equally important, are: 1. The sound quality, 2. No distortion, interference or hiss, 3. Comfort level. I will only be using the headphone in the bedroom and not be walking around with them anywhere so distance, hearing through walls is important, 4. Hours the rechargeable batteries can run for. Please list the brand & model number. Thanks. I'm looking at anything that retails between $50 to $400 (I figure I can get alot off on them on EBAY). Thanks for your input.

woodman
04-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Can someone please advise me what are the best cost efficient wireless head phones primarily for regular stereo - I'm going to use them mainly for watching TV, DVD's and Videos, late at night, though any input on surround sound is also welcome. My 4 important factors, equally important, are: 1. The sound quality, 2. No distortion, interference or hiss, 3. Comfort level. I will only be using the headphone in the bedroom and not be walking around with them anywhere so distance, hearing through walls is important, 4. Hours the rechargeable batteries can run for. Please list the brand & model number. Thanks. I'm looking at anything that retails between $50 to $400 (I figure I can get alot off on them on EBAY). Thanks for your input.

If you're only gonna be using the headphones in the bedroom, and you say that you won't be walking around with them - are you sure that you really want wireless 'phones? I have three sets of them myself, and I love 'em. But they DO involve some compromises, like occasional "dropouts", etc.

For the best sound quality without the compromises, I recommend that you go with a standard wired headphone with one (or more) extension cords. If you absolutely want wireless 'phones, I recommend the Sonys that I use for overall satisfaction .... sound quality and battery life. The Sennheiser 'phones have slightly better sound quality, but they seem to eat batteries for lunch! My Sonys on the other hand run and run and run and run and run before I have to replace batteries!

The current Sony models (with their MSRP prices) are:
MDR-RF945 - $129
MDR-RF975 - $199

The models I have (which are several years old) are:
MDR-RF930
MDR-RF950

Hope this helps you

hershon
04-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Is it possible to connect a regular nonwireless set of headphones through a regular stereo
TV system? If so, I'll do this but need to know how and what to buy to do it. My Sony 27"
surround sound TV in the bedroom where I will be listening from has an extra 2 sets of left & right stereo (regular RCA type) inputs. Do I plug this into them and where do I get something and what is it called to connect that from my 1 jack stereo headphone? The TV which I got 15 years ago and hasn't deteriorated, doesn't have a headphone jack.

If I can't connect a regular stereo headset to this, then I heard I'm better off in terms of quality getting an IR (Infrared) wireless head phone. Sony carries a few of those.
Would you go with the infrared headphones over the RF ones you recommended which you can get a pretty good deal if you have the patience on EBAY. Any IR ones that you'd recommend?

In regards to regular headphones, using just sound & comfort criteria, which headphones
would you recommend as most cost efficient (if possible can you break down on under $100, $100 -$200, $200 -$350 retail price and also if you have time do so for ones with surround sound unless you think those don't really produce them).

Thanks for all your valuable help and if I can repay the favor I will.

woodman
04-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Do you have anything else in this bedroom system besides just the TV set (and maybe a DVD player)? You must have access to audio signals of some sort in order to use ANY type of headphone. Does the TV set have an audio OUTput to feed sound signals to an external sound system? If it does, then you can hookup a wireless headphone to it. In order to use a wired headphone, you need to have a "headphone jack" available which you say the TV set doesn't offer.

More info is needed here so that I might be able to help you further.

hershon
04-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi,

Sometimes I don't fully think when posting these things. Besides the two inputs I also have an external auxilary out (left & right jack). Is there something to attach to the head phone output so I can plug this into both the left and right channel and have a very long
20 foot extension chord to the headphone or am I better off with a wireless infrared setup.
I'm doing this primarily to watch TV late at night in my bedroom as apparently the neighbor hears the sound above.

If I can't connect a regular stereo headset to this, am I better with a wireless than a 20 foot cord to my headphones, then I heard I'm better off in terms of quality getting an IR (Infrared) wireless head phone. Sony carries a few of those.
Would you go with the infrared headphones over the RF ones you recommended which you can get a pretty good deal if you have the patience on EBAY. Any IR ones that you'd recommend?

In regards to regular headphones, using just sound & comfort criteria, which headphones
would you recommend as most cost efficient (if possible can you break down on under $100, $100 -$200, $200 -$350 retail price and also if you have time do so for ones with surround sound unless you think those don't really produce them).

Thanks

woodman
04-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Sometimes I don't fully think when posting these things. Besides the two inputs I also have an external auxilary out (left & right jack). Is there something to attach to the head phone output so I can plug this into both the left and right channel and have a very long
20 foot extension chord to the headphone or am I better off with a wireless infrared setup.
I'm doing this primarily to watch TV late at night in my bedroom as apparently the neighbor hears the sound above.

The audio OUTput jacks on the TV set cannot be used to drive a wired headphone setup - at least with any control. Those jacks will most likely provide a fixed level of output - meaning that there would be no control over the volume in the headphone, even IF the signal level was strong enough to provide a listenable volume in the first place.

If there is no "headphone jack" to plug into, your only option is to go with a wireless 'phone setup, which CAN be connected to the audio output jacks on the TV set. The infrared type is cheaper, and might be "better" for someone remaining in a fixed position. But ... if you're gonna be replacing the receiver in the livingroom, then you could bring the old one into the bedroom if that unit DOES have a headphone jack on it. This would then open up the option to use a wired 'phone rather than a wireless one.

I'm doing my best to help you here. Hope I'm succeeding ...