sound-thinking.org [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sound-thinking.org

emaidel
12-11-2012, 04:39 AM
There used to be another audio website called, sound-thinking.org. Many of its founders and members were, like myself, banned from AK for a variety of really silly reasons. I received a personal message from one of the members to refrain from mentioning one of the site mods from AK because he was trying to shut down sound-thinking.

Well, whether or not he was successful, the site is now down for good. It never caught on like AK or audioreview.com, but it was fun to post there, just as it is here. And there never seemed to be any nasty arguments between members. And now it's gone.

R.I.P. sound-thinking.org

Hyfi
12-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Wish I would have known before it was too late but thanks for the update

dingus
12-11-2012, 07:20 AM
hi Ed,
ST shut down for a variety of reasons, but the tipping point came when our hosting service was bought out by a competitor. even though the transition to the latest vBulletin software went smoothly, the limitations imposed with the new software made site management untenable. no doubt this was done to encourage sites being hosted for free, like ST, to upgrade to a paying service, but for us it was a deal killer.

we had a good run, but the timing was right and we moved pretty quickly in pulling the plug. we did manage to salvage an archive that is available at Sound Thinking Archive • Index page (http://starchive.phxaudiotape.com/) thanks to the good folks at Phoenix Audio Tape. its mostly intact, but unfortunately no attachments were salvaged for the archive.

the last bit of the story is that the sound-thinking.org domain was passed on to a Seattle non-profit and they will be putting it to good use in the near future.

emaidel
12-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info, Dingus. It's good to know that the threat from the AK mod was just that - a threat - and that the site closed down for other reasons. Still, sorry to see it go.

dingus
12-11-2012, 09:54 AM
threat or not, i cant fathom how they could have had any influence on the situation.

markw
12-11-2012, 12:41 PM
threat or not, i cant fathom how they could have had any influence on the situation.I was wondering that myself.