Is DVD format dead [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is DVD format dead

Smokey
12-08-2012, 07:31 PM
From what I see on store's shelves, I would say not in forseeable future.

The same subject was discussed couple of years ago here in AR that DVD is on way out since store don't want to stock double inventory of bluray and DVD discs, or DVD like VHS will fall on way side. But I don't see that happening as fast as we thought it would. There are still movies coming out on dvds, including alot of TV shows that are not available on bluray.

Past TV shows seem to be main stay of DVDs and since most of them are in SD (standard definition), studio don't see benefit of releasing them on bluray. So I am assuming both DVD and bluray format may exist side by side for a while.

Hyfi
12-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Take a look around at Album and Turntable sales of late. This same question was asked of that in the 80s.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-09-2012, 08:20 AM
DVD's are loss leaders now, so they are used to draw folks in the store. It make take a few more years for DVD to fall by the wayside, but that day is coming. On the "A" list titles, Bluray is routinely beating DVD in sales. As soon as that spreads to all titles, DVD is gone just like what happened to VHS.

For those who live in a vaccum - neither sales of records of turntables was all that great in the grand scheme of things(larger picture). They are both drop in the buckets compared to even CD sales.

Smokey
12-10-2012, 02:46 PM
On the "A" list titles, Bluray is routinely beating DVD in sales. As soon as that spreads to all titles, DVD is gone just like what happened to VHS.

Would you say that include TV show (from past 50 years) titles that are in SD?

Studios can put each season of TV shows on multi disc DVDs in a bulk package and sell it for around $20. But if they put it all in one bluray disc and charge more for it, I don't think too many poeple will go for it.

For example studios will probably make more money by releasing Tv show Gunsmoke on multi DVDs half season at times (vol. I & II), rather than put whole season on one bluray disc. Unless they go back and remaster the whole show in 1080i for bluray format which probably will raise the price.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Would you say that include TV show (from past 50 years) titles that are in SD?

The funny thing right now Smoke, its television shows are whats keeping DVD alive now. Movies sales on DVD are falling like a rock, and Bluray is taking up that slack.

Studios can put each season of TV shows on multi disc DVDs in a bulk package and sell it for around $20. But if they put it all in one bluray disc and charge more for it, I don't think too many poeple will go for it.

Television shows are not doing very on Bluray, and I don't the studio are really in that much of a hurry to offer many television shows on the format.

For example studios will probably make more money by releasing Tv show Gunsmoke on multi DVDs half season at times (vol. I & II), rather than put whole season on one bluray disc. Unless they go back and remaster the whole show in 1080i for bluray format which probably will raise the price.

I don't think many studio want to spend the money to restore and remaster any old television shows. It would be a money losing exercise.

Smokey
12-10-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't think many studio want to spend the money to restore and remaster any old television shows. It would be a money losing exercise.I am afraid you are right. But it would be nice to see these old shows in HD as alot of TV shows like Hawaii 5-O or Gunsmoke were shot on film. But still greatfull that they are being released on DVD :)