Hello Everyone [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

mitchellin
12-07-2012, 05:44 PM
My name is Mitch and I wanted to say hello. I ventured across this forum on a general search about Totem speakers...looking to do a two channel rig in the near future.

Otherwise, I am on a couple other forums and thought I would grab a seat in this one to learn, network, and share information about the hobby I enjoy.

Well, I have a ton of searching to do in here on gear I am looking at for my new project. Thanks and have a great evening.

:cool:

ForeverAutumn
12-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey Mitch. Welcome to AR. There's lots of great information here and some really knowledgable people. Don't be afraid to ask questions or participate in discussions. Cheers!

thekid
12-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Welcome to AR new blood is always welcome.

I am not one of the knowledgeable people FA refers to here but there are others here who will certainly be able to help you out as you get into this hobby.

Keep us up to date on your projects!

Hyfi
12-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Hello and welcome. I have never owned Totem speakers but have heard several pairs.

Why have you selected Totem to base your rig and what other speakers did you audition?

mitchellin
12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Hyfi, I like the whole package with the Totem Sttaf...to me, they sound really good and come in a very nice looking enclosure. I'm also looking at a couple other ideas for speakers. Right now, I want to get some treatments done with the room.
Otherwise, thanks for the replies andhope all had a great weekend.

Hyfi
12-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Hyfi, I like the whole package with the Totem Sttaf...to me, they sound really good and come in a very nice looking enclosure. I'm also looking at a couple other ideas for speakers. Right now, I want to get some treatments done with the room.
Otherwise, thanks for the replies andhope all had a great weekend.

They look nice, but I have not heard that model. 88db @ 8ohms, not too tough to drive...what kind of Amp are you looking at using?

mitchellin
12-10-2012, 06:23 AM
They look nice, but I have not heard that model. 88db @ 8ohms, not too tough to drive...what kind of Amp are you looking at using?

I would like to try a tube amplifier but have a Bryston 2B that is likely the perfect way to get this project started.

Mr Peabody
12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I heard Totem, I believe it was the Hawk, driven by Naim, just an integrated and it sounded really good. Totem seems to enjoy a bit of current I'm not sure how good of a match they would be with tube gear, possibly something Ultra Linear with 6550's. Totem has an interesting look but it works, they image great.

mitchellin
12-12-2012, 05:57 AM
I heard Totem, I believe it was the Hawk, driven by Naim, just an integrated and it sounded really good. Totem seems to enjoy a bit of current I'm not sure how good of a match they would be with tube gear, possibly something Ultra Linear with 6550's. Totem has an interesting look but it works, they image great.

My ambition is to start this system with the Bryston. A close friend of mine is looking to offload a Jolida 801ARC (price seems to good to pass on) that would probably do just fine with these Totems.

Naim...they make some good integrateds. The SuperNait caught my eye when I was peeking at integrated types. $1700 cap upgrades quickly turned my head away.

The room is under way for treatments, power to start the project is hand, speakers are decided, and I'm left hunting a solid choice on pre amp and SACD source.

Mr Peabody
12-12-2012, 05:47 PM
What is your budget? You might want to look at the Cambridge Audio 851 which is a CD/SACD player with inputs to the DAC and has variable outputs to go directly to an amp, so you wouldn't need a preamp unless you had too many sources. You can find them under $1900.00. This unit is a nice improvement over former Cambridge players and they were great in their price range.