JMLab Chorus 707s vs. Klipsch KG 2.5 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JMLab Chorus 707s vs. Klipsch KG 2.5

lumiere
04-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi.
I know this is a long shot, but can anybody offer a general comparison between the JMLab Chorus 707s and the Klipsch KG 2.5? Asides the fact that the Klipsch is way older. :D

Cheers

lumiere
04-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Bump :p

topspeed
04-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Bump :p
We're talking about two very different speakers with two very different sounds. I'll use very general terms...

The Klipsch's are great for rock and pop, highly efficient and therefore don't need a lot of horsepower to play loud, use a horn loaded tweeter, and are American made.

The JM Lab's use an inverted dome metal tweeter, are more laid back than the Klipsch's, have a better perceived pedigree (snob factor) among audiophiles, excel with jazz, vocals, and pop, plus they are French made.

Which one sounds better depends on what you have in front of them and what you like to listen to. What are you trying to achieve? This might elicit more responses.

Good luck

lumiere
04-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Topspeed! Your answer in fact is very close to what I was looking for. Basically, I'm gonna replace the Klipschs in my two channel system, used mostly for music. My listening taste is very wide (clasic rock, classical music, lots of jazz, some hip-hop). I'm looking for a balanced sound _ not to forward and agressive, not to laid back.
I hope this make things clear. Thanks again.

topspeed
04-23-2004, 04:03 PM
How big is your room?
How much do you want to spend?
What electronics are you using in front of it?

lumiere
04-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi.
My living room is aprox. 15' X 6', three walls, open to small kitchen and hallway. My budget for the speakers is between 1000. 1500. dlrs. My amplifier is a MF 3.2 integrated, and I'm buyin' the MF 3.24 DAC. The transport would be the Marantz DV6400 universal player, currently being used to play SACDs, CDs and DVDs (pretty decent sound with Red Book CDs).
Thanks

F1
04-23-2004, 05:35 PM
With that money you can spend for JMLab Cobalt, which is a clear improvement over Chorus line. You can actually top up your speaker budget instead of buying separate DAC. You will gain more improvement.

topspeed
04-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Hi.
My living room is aprox. 15' X 6', three walls, open to small kitchen and hallway. My budget for the speakers is between 1000. 1500. dlrs. My amplifier is a MF 3.2 integrated, and I'm buyin' the MF 3.24 DAC. The transport would be the Marantz DV6400 universal player, currently being used to play SACDs, CDs and DVDs (pretty decent sound with Red Book CDs).
Thanks

Man, there's a lot good speakers in that price range. Because your musical preferences are all over the place, you're going to have to listen to a ton of speakers until you find one that sounds best to you. I'd look into Von Schweikert Audio's VR1's (new) or VR-2's (used on audiogon), B&W 602s3 or 705's, Dynaudio 52se, Green Mountain Europa's, Paradigm Ref 40v3, Energy Veritas 2.2, Monitor Audio Gold, the Cobalt's F1 mentioned, Spendor, ProAc, Vandersteen, whew!! The mind boggles at the amount of good speakers you have to choose from. Standmounts, floorstanders, hell throw in Maggies if you want to try planers while you're at it. Grab some of your favorite tunes and hit the road because you have a lot of homework to do. You've got a great front end and I definitely agree w/ F1 to shelve the budget for the dac and use it towards better speakers. More bang for your buck, easy.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

lumiere
04-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks to all! :)