Flight attendants biggest pet peeves [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Flight attendants biggest pet peeves

Smokey
12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
http://central.languagepod101.com/stockphoto/media/537&v=fit512.jpg

According to survey of more than 700 international crew members from 85 countries done by Skyscanner, the most annoying habits of air passengers are:

1.Clicking fingers to get your attention 26%
2.Leaving seat at the end before the light goes off 13%
3.Stuffing too many bags into overhead locker 11%
4.Complaining there’s no space for their bag in the locker 10%
5.Talking through the safety demo 9%
6.Asking for more blankets/pillows 8%
7.Stuffing rubbish in the seat pocket 7%
8.Asking for a different meal 6%
9.Ringing the attendant bell to complain about temperature 6%
10.Asking for a specific brand of drink 4%

Single male 30-something? You (http://www.skyscanner.net/news/perfectpassenger)

thekid
12-05-2012, 02:45 AM
I travel a lot and #3 on your list is one that I share with them but it is caused entirely by the airlines themselves. They have signs posted at check-in and several other places regarding the amount and size of carry-on baggage. Those rules are not enforced at check-in and they are not enforced at the gate.

With airlines now charging for baggage too many people are trying to carry their luggage on to the plane. I have had too many flights delayed because we sit at the gate while some moron tries to stuff a suitcase that clearly won't fit into the overhead bin. Sometimes I believe it is on purpose so they don't have to pay the fee because eventually what happens is the flight attendant tags the bag and it gets stored in cargo. The passenger then either picks it up when leaving the plane or in baggage at the end of the flight free of charge.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
I travel a lot and #3 on your list is one that I share with them but it is caused entirely by the airlines themselves. They have signs posted at check-in and several other places regarding the amount and size of carry-on baggage. Those rules are not enforced at check-in and they are not enforced at the gate.

Much like you, I am a heavy traveler, and I agree with you on this.

With airlines now charging for baggage too many people are trying to carry their luggage on to the plane. I have had too many flights delayed because we sit at the gate while some moron tries to stuff a suitcase that clearly won't fit into the overhead bin. Sometimes I believe it is on purpose so they don't have to pay the fee because eventually what happens is the flight attendant tags the bag and it gets stored in cargo. The passenger then either picks it up when leaving the plane or in baggage at the end of the flight free of charge.

Once again, I agree with this. To combat this for myself, I have fly clothes in every city I travel now. No need to pack heavy when I travel now - it is just small things I want to travel with, and things I want to transport from place to place.

Smokey
12-05-2012, 08:52 PM
To combat this for myself, I have fly clothes in every city I travel now. No need to pack heavy when I travel now - it is just small things I want to travel with, and things I want to transport from place to place.

One probably could travel light when flying domestically, but internationally one can't avoid packing heavily.

Couple of years ago I flew to Amsterdam and saw this guy carrying a carry-on luggage with his left hand, a large hand bag on his right shoulder, with his right hand holding two bagged suit over his shoulder. wait a minute...that was my brother :D

ForeverAutumn
12-06-2012, 06:24 AM
I used to work with an executive who did a lot of travelling at one time and needed several suits on each trip, so carry-on only was out of the question. Rather than waste time checking luggage and waiting for it after his flight, he had his suitcase couriered from hotel to hotel. I'm sure it cost a fortune, but saved him a lot of time as he could walk off the plane and just grab a cab to his hotel or next meeting.

As for the list. I can see how #1 would be annoying. If someone snapped their fingers at me it would sure piss me off. I don't really see why #6 would be bothersome though. What's the big deal about an extra blanket?

JohnMichael
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Snapping fingers is disrespectful. I would not do it to someone and I do not tolerate it. I had a gentleman in my care and he snapped his fingers once. I told him he better have a tune in his head and I only respond when called by name. I also do not like when someone uses their index finger to get my attention. I do not come when fingered.

Smokey
12-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I I don't really see why #6 would be bothersome though. What's the big deal about an extra blanket?I think some of of passengers take the blankets with them when they get off. Maybe that is main reason. Personally I would not use blanket or pillows where somebody else had used. It does come in a bag, but there is no guaranty it is clean.
I do not come when fingered.That was not on the survey :p

bobsticks
12-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Ah, imagine that...the help gets grumpy.

How about the turnover rate on flight attendants though...when was the last time you saw a flight attendant that looked like the one pictured? The last few that I've seen looked like someone disentombed Lucille Ball and threw her down a flight of stairs....

...these salty old curmudgeons make Supreme Court Justices look like temps...

...so there.