Sad day for New Yorkers. Stage Deli Closing. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for New Yorkers. Stage Deli Closing.

markw
12-01-2012, 02:55 PM
"A perpetual pastrami war has, at last, ended.

The Stage Deli on Seventh Avenue, known for its overstuffed sandwiches, closed after 75 years.

For generations, two venerable Seventh Avenue establishments, the Stage Deli and the Carnegie Deli, battled implacably for customers, newspaper ink, news crews, show-business notables, dignitaries and celebrity-sandwich names.

But with the news on Friday that the Stage Deli — known for its overstuffed sandwiches garnished with the names of show-business boldfacers — had closed its doors at midnight on Thursday after 75 years, the interminable hostilities ceased."

See linky here ("")

There was a lot of history in that place. It will be missed.

I've always been a Carnegie guy myself, but this loss still saddens me. They were both integral parts of the tightly woven fabric that makes up that great city.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-02-2012, 09:58 AM
"A perpetual pastrami war has, at last, ended.

The Stage Deli on Seventh Avenue, known for its overstuffed sandwiches, closed after 75 years.

For generations, two venerable Seventh Avenue establishments, the Stage Deli and the Carnegie Deli, battled implacably for customers, newspaper ink, news crews, show-business notables, dignitaries and celebrity-sandwich names.

But with the news on Friday that the Stage Deli — known for its overstuffed sandwiches garnished with the names of show-business boldfacers — had closed its doors at midnight on Thursday after 75 years, the interminable hostilities ceased."

See linky here ("")

There was a lot of history in that place. It will be missed.

I've always been a Carnegie guy myself, but this loss still saddens me. They were both integral parts of the tightly woven fabric that makes up that great city.

Damn, damn, DAMN!!!! I used to go to Stage Deli often when I was a teenager. A LOT! Every time I come to New York City, I would go there. There was always two meals for every sandwich I bought, which made them a great value.

What a huge loss for me.....

markw
12-02-2012, 03:05 PM
All is not Lost. The Carnagie Deli is only a block away and, between the two, that's always been my favorite. It's at least worth a try if you're in da hood.
Personally, I liked 'em both better than Katz's.

Mingus
12-05-2012, 10:33 AM
For me Katz has the best pastrami, Carnagie Deli has the best corned beef and Stage Deli does most things well. The 2nd Ave Deli is also very good. Carnegie and Stage attract many tourist and celebrities.

markw
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Actually, I prefer the pastrami at carnegie. The stuff at Katz's was too lean for me. Katz as a killer matzoh ball soup, though.

I still love the fact that the 2nd Ave Deli is on 3rd Ave. :D

Mingus
12-08-2012, 08:27 AM
The chop liver at 2nd Ave Deli is outstanding.