Receiver for "Bose Acoustimass® 6 Series II" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver for "Bose Acoustimass® 6 Series II"

videsiboy
04-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Samsclub is having "Bose Acoustimass® 6 Series II" for $400.
I am looking for a suitable 5.1 receiver for these speakers.
My budget is around $200 - $250.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Woochifer
04-19-2004, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't build around those speakers. Even at $400 ($300 off MSRP), the Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers are not a great product because they have poor high frequency extension, erratic midrange characteristics, inaccurate and poorly extended bass, and frequency gaps in the lower midrange.

The absolutely minimum you should look for in a 5.1 speaker package is the Energy Take 5 system, which typically goes for around $600. That system uses two-way satellites that have much better high frequency extension, and better coverage of the midrange than the Bose AM systems. If you can't go with that, then you would be much better off investing that $400 budget into a pair of quality bookshelf speakers and adding the center, surrounds, and subwoofer later. At around $250 for a receiver, I would look for Yamaha's RX-V440 or 540 (aka HTR-5640 and 5650), which are currently on closeout and selling for around that price. Those receivers have DSP modes that let you enjoy virtual surround sound with two, three, or four speakers, which means that you can get progressively better performance as you incrementally add onto your system.

N. Abstentia
04-19-2004, 06:50 PM
The Bose Acoustimass are a poor choice for 5.1 sound. They have no subwoofer, and all speakers must be hooked through the 'bass module' so you'll never be able to acheive a true 5.1 system around them.

As Woochifer said, don't bother. I'll add..run, don't walk away from Bose speakers. You can't get much worse.

videsiboy
04-20-2004, 04:40 AM
Thank you very much for saving me from buying AM6 speakers.

How about Denon DHT-684DVD, Home Theater in-a-box system?

My budget is around $700. What would be the best system I can get in that budget.

Thanks once again for your help.

Invader3k
04-20-2004, 05:32 AM
If you've listened to the Bose and decided you don't like them, the Denon setup could be a good choice. Also, I know Onkyo makes some great HTiB systems for less than a grand. www.onkyousa.com would have info.

My budget is around $700. What would be the best system I can get in that budget.

Audie Oghaisle
04-20-2004, 05:57 AM
...not to buy the speakers you refer to, the last(IMHO) is basing that decision on what you read in forums like these...If YOU have heard and like them...buy them...if they will fit into YOUR budget and integrate with YOUR furnishings...buy them...however with that said, they are not the current vintage(being up to Series lll) and may even be refurb units.Yes, you must hook up all the satellites to the bass module, which may present some problems logistically, but since they are not full-range units, wiring them directly to a reciever can damage them, so that's how it has to be done(it is a common practice with certain subwoofer/reciever combos)...

Please keep in mind, with regard for freq response, "extension" etc. the rear speakers are there for directional cues and their effect should be a subtle one...not a distinct source per se...after all, it is only home theater, a medium more reliant of effects than of hi-fi content!

In answer to your question, an Onkyo TX-SR501 may be a unit you might want to look into...there seems to be sufficient power @65 wpc...and enough adjustment parameters to work with nearly any speaker configuration.

My advice...look around and see (and more importantly listen to) what is available within your budget limits...check the manufacturers websites w/re: to compatibility; download ADOBE, if you don't already have it, and read the owners manuals...educate yourself, narrow your choices based of legitimate info and not on hearsay from the "experts"...not even from hobbyists like myself...we can help guide you, but ultimately it's your cash.

Audie

Invader3k
04-20-2004, 06:27 AM
Audie Oghaisle makes a great point, touching upon what I mentioned earlier. If you listen to the AM6 and like them, then you should go for them. If you feel they are not that great, or if you can get better for your money, find something else. The AM6 you looked at is older though. It was basically designed for older Pro Logic systems, not Dolby Digital or DTS. The new version has a powered bass module, and will definitely give you deeper bass. However, it does sell for $699 brand new, though you may be able to find used or refurb units for less. If you do go with the AM6 at Sams, you could always add a powered sub later on; as you'll likely find yourself wishing for more, and deeper, bass, especially if you watch a lot of action movies.

Personally, I have a friend who owns the AM6 III (with powered module) and uses it with a entry level Onkyo surround sound receiver. (Btw, that TX-SR501 is great for the money). It did not shame itself at all. He was only using it in a bedroom, but it was more than sufficient. HUGE bass (the room is maybe only 12x12 though), and decent imaging and clarity.

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide on.

...not to buy the speakers you refer to, the last(IMHO) is basing that decision on what you read in forums like these...If YOU have heard and like them...buy them...if they will fit into YOUR budget and integrate with YOUR furnishings...buy them...however with that said, they are not the current vintage(being up to Series lll) and may even be refurb units.Yes, you must hook up all the satellites to the bass module, which may present some problems logistically, but since they are not full-range units, wiring them directly to a reciever can damage them, so that's how it has to be done(it is a common practice with certain subwoofer/reciever combos)...

Please keep in mind, with regard for freq response, "extension" etc. the rear speakers are there for directional cues and their effect should be a subtle one...not a distinct source per se...after all, it is only home theater, a medium more reliant of effects than of hi-fi content!

In answer to your question, an Onkyo TX-SR501 may be a unit you might want to look into...there seems to be sufficient power @65 wpc...and enough adjustment parameters to work with nearly any speaker configuration.

My advice...look around and see (and more importantly listen to) what is available within your budget limits...check the manufacturers websites w/re: to compatibility; download ADOBE, if you don't already have it, and read the owners manuals...educate yourself, narrow your choices based of legitimate info and not on hearsay from the "experts"...not even from hobbyists like myself...we can help guide you, but ultimately it's your cash.

Audie

videsiboy
04-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I will gather more information.. and see which one might be best for my budget.

For now I am inclined towards Denon or Onkyo in-a-box systems.

Assembling a system seems to be little confusing to me.

Audie Oghaisle
04-20-2004, 07:45 AM
...but it can be disconcerting at times...try to familiarize yourself with the basics(terms, etc.) and ask questions...Relax, there are no stupid questions, but I have seen a lot of stupid answers...

Most manufacturers try to simplify matters...they are trying to sell stuff the average consumer can hook-up with minimal muss and fuss...

HT in a box is a reasonable starting point...you might(might, might, might) be able to gather up all the required gear as separate units for the same price and might not have any problems wiring things up, like I said, not rocket science, he!!, even I can do it! Some problems might arise due to slightly different nomenclature for the various manufacturers and/or connectivity(although that happens less and less)...The all-in-one can be an answer, unfortunately they can be somewhat limiting, i.e. certain features only work with the same mfrs. add-ons and the like...

All it takes is some knowledge, a little patience and some common sense...not much else...

Audie

magictooth
04-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I will gather more information.. and see which one might be best for my budget.

For now I am inclined towards Denon or Onkyo in-a-box systems.

Assembling a system seems to be little confusing to me.
You might see if you can find the Tannoy FX HTIB speakers. I've seen them new on eBay for $399. You can pair those speakers with an Onkyo receiver. They're the same size as the Bose Acoustimass cubes, but the subwoofer is actually a real sub.

<link>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1499&item=3091909595&rd=1</link>

videsiboy
04-20-2004, 01:05 PM
As per the reviews I found on the net, seems to be good set of speakers.
Thanks for the suggestion.. I am still exploring options... :)

Woochifer
04-20-2004, 01:21 PM

With a $700 budget, you're going to make some significant compromises with the sound quality if you choose to go with a 5.1 setup. All of the HTIB systems that I've seen in that price range have one thing in common -- inadequate speakers. Your best bet is to go with a receiver in the $300 range, and reserve at least $400 for speakers. That budget won't get you a 5.1 setup, but it will give you the option of going for a pair of very good bookshelf speakers, or go a step down and get two main speakers plus a center speaker, or you can go with two pairs of $200 bookshelf speakers. You can always add the center or surround speakers and subwoofer later. The thing about speakers is that they vary a lot, and it's up to you to find a type of speaker that meets your needs. The only way to find the right speaker is to go out and listen to as many of them as possible.

The biggest mistake made in home theater purchases is feeling the need to buy the whole thing at once. You DON'T have to buy everything at the same time. With modern home theater receivers, you can get very good virtual surround effects with just two speakers. FYI, I pieced together my system over the course of two years, and progressively better enjoyment out of it as each new piece got added on.

mfk3
04-05-2008, 07:41 PM
If you've listened to the Bose and decided you don't like them, the Denon setup could be a good choice. Also, I know Onkyo makes some great HTiB systems for less than a grand. www.onkyousa.com would have info.
Jeez, my So has a pair of Klipsch RF-52's and an RC-52 Center, with her outrageously large screen they do really well. At 97 db 1 watt/1 meter, they really do kick ass and unlike my Heresy's have response down to 38 HZ.

JohnMichael
04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
The thread you revived will be four years old in two weeks. No one cares anymore. Welcome to AudioReview but let us try to stay current.