Pioneer PL-990 Turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer PL-990 Turntable

N. Abstentia
04-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Anybody familiar with this model table? Specifically, how to install the belt? I picked one up from Ebay, but the seller failed to mention the belt was in a big wad outside the unit.

Any help on this..picutures..diagrams...would be great help. Thanks!

N. Abstentia
04-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Well nevermind about the belt...I figured it out. Quite simple, actually.

But now I have another question...I know this has a built in phono preamp and I can get good sound hooking it to my computer so that obviously means the preamp is on. However, I'd like to turn it off because I have phono inputs. But I'm not clear on how to turn it off. On other tables I've seen there is a switch under the platter..this one has a spot that says 'on off' but there is no switch to move. I can see the circuit board through the hole, it says 'SW1 on off'. Sounds like there was supposed to be a switch there but there's nothing. Oddly enough there is no 120/220 switch either even though there is a cutout for it.

But as it is, I have $50 in the thing, and it does work. At least I can hook it to my tape input and see if this urges me to want to pursue vinyl again which was the idea. If I like the vinyl, I'll get a better table. I'd just like to know how to switch off the preamp without giving them $20 for the manual.

Obviously I have no manual for this thing, am I alone in owning this model table?