The 'big brother' aspect of this site makes me a bit uncomfortable sometimes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The 'big brother' aspect of this site makes me a bit uncomfortable sometimes

newtrix1
04-19-2004, 01:10 PM
I just today noticed the "viewing thread" feature that this site displays. If you select someone's ID or avatar it shows which thread they are currently viewing. Hmmm, do others need to know this? If so why? Not a big deal, but it does make me wonder if we're being studied for marketing purposes. The other feature which is bothersome, is the hyperlinks that are attached to certain key words like cd for example.
I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about this stuff, but I do feel like a lab-rat at times.

Davey
04-19-2004, 01:16 PM
You can always just select Invisible Mode in your profile as many do if you don't want your meanderings at the site seen by others. Also, if you just bump up your security setting when you visit this site like I do (well, I use high security most of the time everywhere on the web so it's no big deal for me), you don't see most of the ads or those green links :)

newtrix1
04-19-2004, 01:30 PM
But I can still see that you're "Viewing Thread Live Accoustic Prog Doesn't Get Much Better". ;)

Thanks for the tip(s), I think I'm going to become invisible...can you see me now?....can you see me now??

Davey
04-19-2004, 01:36 PM
But I can still see that you're "Viewing Thread Live Accoustic Prog Doesn't Get Much Better". ;)

Thanks for the tip(s), I think I'm going to become invisible...can you see me now?....can you see me now??
I don't have invisible selected. I'm on dialup so I don't hang around very long at any one time and don't really care if you can see me or not. Some people on cable or DSL use it so it doesn't appear like they're here all the time. And on dialup the site isn't really useable, at least for me, without disabling all the flash ads and junk by going to high security.