Can I connect a vintage 70s Integrated Amp to new Polk PSW10 subwoofer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I connect a vintage 70s Integrated Amp to new Polk PSW10 subwoofer?

rover
11-25-2012, 10:33 PM
I have an original late 70s Sanyo integrated stereo amp(DCA 411) at 45 watts per channel. I'd like to hook it up to a new Polk PSW10 subwoofer. I could only do this by speaker wire from amp to sub, and then wire from sub to speakers.

Would this work? To combine vintage amp to new subwoofer?

I was told by a guy that works on vintage stereo equipment that I couldn't do that with my old amp. That it wouldn't work.

What do you think about this? And have you or anyone you know done something like this?

BTW, the frequency response is 20 Hz-20 kHz. Don't know if that helps as I'm pretty much a rookie in my knowledge.

markw
11-26-2012, 03:56 AM
It's done all the time and, in fact, i did that with that exact same sub-woofer and a Sherwood stereo receiver that way.

Just to clarify, you would run your amp's speaker outputs to the sub's speaker inputs.

You can than connect your speakers to the speaker outputs on the sub-woofer. That way, the sub will "strip off" the lows from your main speakers, amplify and play them, and send the rest of the signal to your main speakers.

This generally makes for a cleaner overall sound by relieving the mains from having to reproduce frequencies they aren't comfortable with.

Adjust the sub's crossover and level control until is sound right. Generally, I like to set the crossover to right about where the main speakers start to lose steam but YMMV. This may take some time but don't worry, you won't hurt anything by playing with them.

Hyfi
11-26-2012, 06:03 AM
This generally makes for a cleaner overall sound by relieving the mains from having to reproduce frequencies they aren't comfortable with.

Mark, I know this is how it has to be done with older setups but does it not negate the quality of the original amp or receiver since all the amplification is now being done via the sub's plate amp?

markw
11-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Mark, I know this is how it has to be done with older setups but does it not negate the quality of the original amp or receiver since all the amplification is now being done via the sub's plate amp?No,the crossover/summing circuit/amp circuitry in the sub strips off only the bass and the rest of the signal is passed through the sub virtually untouched, aside from the bass being stripped off. The crossover/summing circuit in the sub is essentially a passive device consisting of a few resistors.

IOW, the mains still see the product of the original receiver's amp and only the subwoofer driver sees the product of it's internal amp, which is what you want. On a deeper level, the receivers amp "sees" a very high impedance at the subwoofer frequencies so the sub has virtually no load (ergo, no affect) on it while passing everything else through.

Hyfi
11-26-2012, 06:37 AM
Thanks, that clears up my confusion.

rover
11-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info, markw. I ordered the Polk PSW110 instead of the PSW10(half price today). We'll see how it works when I pick it up later this week.

Any advice on settings? I'll probably post about that again once I get it and actually see what is back there.