what is the longest deepest bass you have experienced? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what is the longest deepest bass you have experienced?

lomarica
11-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Mine is Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here sacd Welcome to the Machine.

I use the word oppressive (but in a good way) to describe the bass in the beginning of the song.

When the bass stops at times it is almost a relief but then it comes back on and wow!!

Any other songs or movies come close?

mlsstl
11-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Easy answer for me -- I'd vote for the pipe organ at St. Louis Cathedral Basilica. A Kilgen organ with 96 ranks and about 7,700 pipes in a domed cathedral with a 9 second reverb. No stereo is even close.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Easy answer for me -- I'd vote for the pipe organ at St. Louis Cathedral Basilica. A Kilgen organ with 96 ranks and about 7,700 pipes in a domed cathedral with a 9 second reverb. No stereo is even close.

I can top you on that one, the largest organ in the world - The Atlantic City Convention Hall Organ. I heard it when I was in my twenties, and the power of its 64ft pedal pipe will blow your mind(or your whole head)

The Municipal Organ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh25I6Br9qU)

mlsstl
11-30-2012, 05:00 AM
I can top you on that one, the largest organ in the world - The Atlantic City Convention Hall Organ. I heard it when I was in my twenties, and the power of its 64ft pedal pipe will blow your mind(or your whole head)

The Municipal Organ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh25I6Br9qU)

That's a monster -- very interesting Wikipedia article on its construction and history. There are many fantastic and unique organs, orchestras and venues around the world. My main point is that there are real limitations to our ability to record their live sound in many situations. For many musical events, there is no substitute for the real thing.

bfalls
11-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo". I've used this to test bass when I demo full-range speakers. Good quality deep bass.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (Mobile Fidelity) also had good bass. I don't think it's quite as good on the SACD version. Surprising, they didn't involve Alan Parsons in the making of the SACD. I enjoy the SACD very much, but to me it doesn't sound as robust as the MB version.

blackraven
11-30-2012, 11:11 AM
It was a Small Mouth Bass, about 18" long, in about 20 feet of water in the St. Croix river!

Glen B
11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
For me it has to be the Kleuker-Steinmeyer organ at Tonehalle Zürich, on the infamous Dorian Recordings Pictures at An Exhibition CD.