Thank you to the nice folks I've met on AR over the years... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to the nice folks I've met on AR over the years...

RGA
11-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I've met some nice people on AR over the years and I've even met some in person and enjoyed our discussions immensely.

I've also enjoyed the well thought out debates - and even the old cable debates back in the late 90s when the forum was crazy busy.

Unfortunately, it's time to leave AR.

It was a fun ride.

Richard G Austen (RGA)

Feanor
11-23-2012, 05:30 AM
All the best, Richard. And welcome back any time as far as I'm concerned.

Hyfi
11-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Well, not sure what that is all about, but good luck and it has been a good ride. I also appreciated all your reviews of gear I may never get to hear.

TheHills44060
11-23-2012, 06:43 AM
AR is a gang RGA. Like the crips and bloods you cannot just leave ;-)

ForeverAutumn
11-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Hey RGA. I suspect that this move may have something to do with me closing the most recent Union discussion. This is, afterall, an Audio site. If you would like to discuss Audio you are welcome to participate any time. I'm sure that your audio input will be missed. All the best.

JohnMichael
11-23-2012, 08:31 AM
AR is a gang RGA. Like the crips and bloods you cannot just leave ;-)

Blood in, blood out?

Feanor
11-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Hey RGA. I suspect that this move may have something to do with me closing the most recent Union discussion. This is, afterall, an Audio site. If you would like to discuss Audio you are welcome to participate any time. I'm sure that your audio input will be missed. All the best.
If it's the policy of AR that certain subjects must not be discussed -- even in the Off Topic or Steel Cage forums -- then this policy should be published. Perhaps Mods could place a "sticky" that warns that political, religious, and whatever other topics are forbidden and will be deleted. Without an explicit policy, deletion of topics might look arbitrary and even personal.

AR is a commercial site and forum policy is ultimately up to owners of the site, not by Members, or even Mods or Admins. I point out that going by past history at AR limiting discussion hasn't worked very well and this latest situation might just occasion more departures. Personally in Off Topic I think only personal flames and potentially slanderous posts should be deleted, but like I said, members' opinions don't really matter.

ForeverAutumn
11-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Here are the Terms of Use posted on this site:

ConsumerREVIEW.com strives to provide a product research resource and Web community of the highest quality and integrity. We encourage open, honest and respectful communication between all of our members. Our community guidelines are based upon these basic values:

We believe everyone has something to contribute
We believe that an open, honest and respectful environment can generate stimulating discussion and valuable contributions from all of our members
A healthy community has room for and encourages participation from everyone, regardless of their age, background or level of expertise

We do not and cannot review all content posted by viewers on the Web site, and we are not responsible for such content. However, we do reserve the right to delete or edit any reviews or other postings that are not, in our sole discretion, in the spirit of these basic values. We will monitor posting activity of anyone who violates the following guidelines and, if necessary, restrict their ability to post reviews or messages on the site.

General Guidelines

No insults or personal attacks
No profanity or obscene language
Debate - yes! Arguments or "flame wars" - no!
Post solicitations to buy or sell products only in the "Marketplace" section

I have only posted part of the Terms. You can read the full item here (http://www.consumerreview.com/channels/consumerreview/data/main/terms.html).

I think that the "Union" thread violated the Terms of Use in many respects. It was not the topic that was of concern, it was the content. Some members of this site appeared to be starting threads for no other purpose than to start arguments. I and the other Mods discussed the situation and agreed that these personal vendettas were getting out of hand and so we closed threads. It's unfortunate that we felt that we had no other choice. I realize that may not have been a popular decision, but I stand by my decision.

Feanor
11-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Here are the Terms of Use posted on this site:

ConsumerREVIEW.com strives to provide a product research resource and Web community of the highest quality and integrity. We encourage open, honest and respectful communication between all of our members. Our community guidelines are based upon these basic values:

We believe everyone has something to contribute
We believe that an open, honest and respectful environment can generate stimulating discussion and valuable contributions from all of our members
A healthy community has room for and encourages participation from everyone, regardless of their age, background or level of expertise

We do not and cannot review all content posted by viewers on the Web site, and we are not responsible for such content. However, we do reserve the right to delete or edit any reviews or other postings that are not, in our sole discretion, in the spirit of these basic values. We will monitor posting activity of anyone who violates the following guidelines and, if necessary, restrict their ability to post reviews or messages on the site.

General Guidelines

No insults or personal attacks
No profanity or obscene language
Debate - yes! Arguments or "flame wars" - no!
Post solicitations to buy or sell products only in the "Marketplace" section

I have only posted part of the Terms. You can read the full item here (http://www.consumerreview.com/channels/consumerreview/data/main/terms.html).

I think that the "Union" thread violated the Terms of Use in many respects. It was not the topic that was of concern, it was the content. Some members of this site appeared to be starting threads for no other purpose than to start arguments. I and the other Mods discussed the situation and agreed that these personal vendettas were getting out of hand and so we closed threads. It's unfortunate that we felt that we had no other choice. I realize that may not have been a popular decision, but I stand by my decision.
It didn't strike me that RGA set out to cause "arguments" as distinct from debates -- but I guess that's mostly in the eye of the beholder. RGA was certainly not the worst offender when it came to insults, personal attacks, or profanity, yet many posts containing this sort of content remain. Indeed if RGA's post caused "arguments" it was often because somebody chose to respond to his points with personal attacks on him. Respecting insults and personal attacks, I think moderators have come up a bit short.

I'll be taking a sabbatical from posting here at AR. I'll possibly be back at some point but it won't be a while.

Jack in Wilmington
11-23-2012, 06:04 PM
I usually enjoy the banter between two posters. A lot of it is clever and well thought out. Sure sometimes the arguments get heated, but that's what you get when pasionate people talk on the subject of audio. I lose interest when it resorts to name calling. If I want to hear that crap I'll go over to facebook.

Smokey
11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Yup, its same story I'have seen over and over again in AR. Some members come in too fast and too hard and can't avoid the crash landing. Pixelthis is a good example. So RGA don't be part of that static.

I suggest you take a break and a breather and come back when you get ready. Meanwhile enjoy the Hong Kong nights :)

thekid
11-24-2012, 04:16 AM
Personally I think it is threads like "Union" thread that have turned this site into a pale comparison of its former self. If you were a visitor to this site in the past couple of weeks and clicked on the Latest Posts tab about the only activity you would have seen would have been less than handful of members engaging in name calling and general ill behavior towards each other on mostly political-economic subjects. It is a bit much most of the time especially when it is clear that at a certain point neither side is listening to each other. Mods around here do not shut down posts often enough once they turn from subject matter to individual opinions on individuals. Just my two cents.........

TheHills44060
11-24-2012, 06:44 AM
The less the mods are involved the better. We are all adults with real lives and if you don't like the content of a thread then don't read it. There are plenty of other threads to read and pictures to look at here. I get such a kick out of pathetic people who complain about what someone else says on an internet forum like it personally affects them in some shape or form.

JohnMichael
11-24-2012, 07:37 AM
The less the mods are involved the better. We are all adults with real lives and if you don't like the content of a thread then don't read it. There are plenty of other threads to read and pictures to look at here. I get such a kick out of pathetic people who complain about what someone else says on an internet forum like it personally affects them in some shape or form.

This is one of the least moderated sites I know. Sadly all that energy to argue about all things Off Topic. Do you ever wonder what a new member would think if they joined and checked out the New Posts. Lately what would come up is one of those now closed threads. I am sure they would wonder if we were ever on topic. If you read all that animosity among members would you even want to ask a question?

Florian
11-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Since this is my last chance....

Dont let the door hit you on your way out....

Boom :-)

emaidel
11-27-2012, 04:52 AM
I had no idea about the "union" thread until I read this one. So, I checked it out and feel it should have been closed long before it actually was. I have strong opinions on unions myself, but I know others feel differently, and for the thread to have deteriorated into such a lenghty one of mere mud-slinging is something that just has no place here.

If one chooses to leave for this reason, then so be it. That's a lot better than being banned from a site because the mods got into a snit over an email (my experience elsewhere, and not unlike that of many others at that site).

A few years ago, I was writing a thread about my then new Dual CS-5000 and how impressed I was with it. Unfortunately, that thread deteriorated when another member (I'll leave his moniker out of this discussion) started a ridiculous series of criticisms of me personally, and his belief that another turntable (not one others here at AR would have considered an audiophile product) was THE best, and that my turntable was just plain lousy.

Fortunately, a mod entered the fray, altered the posts from this member, and actually reprimanded him. Nothing has been posted from him since, and the site is better off as a result.

For members to leave because their feelings were hurt seems a bit childish.

tube fan
11-27-2012, 08:28 PM
ANY, and I MEAN ANY censorship will lessen the marketplace of ideas. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF?

thekid
11-28-2012, 02:50 AM
ANY, and I MEAN ANY censorship will lessen the marketplace of ideas. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF?

Censoring ideas is one thing and I agree with you. Ceaseless insults of an individual or of an individuals gear, positions are another thing. Kind of the difference between a debate where ideas a intelligently discussed and what is on most talk radio these days......

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-28-2012, 05:34 PM
ar is a gang rga. Like the crips and bloods you cannot just leave ;-)

lolololol

11-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Blood in, blood out?

Actually beat butt in, and then beat butt out(oops, I let the ghetto in me out)

E-Stat
11-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Censoring ideas is one thing and I agree with you. Ceaseless insults of an individual or of an individuals gear, positions are another thing. Kind of the difference between a debate where ideas a intelligently discussed and what is on most talk radio these days......
Agreed. When the discourse of ideas is over and what remains is an adolescent pissing contest, there is little need to allow the thread to continue.

RGA,

The good news is that there are as yet many audio boards who have not as yet heard the Gospel According to Peter (Qvortrup). Go out and seeketh new disciples in all the uncharted waters.

JohnMichael
11-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Actually beat butt in, and then beat butt out(oops, I let the ghetto in me out)

My gang it is spank butt in, spank butt out.

11-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Yup, its same story I'have seen over and over again in AR. Some members come in too fast and too hard and can't avoid the crash landing. Pixelthis is a good example. So RGA don't be part of that static.

I suggest you take a break and a breather and come back when you get ready. Meanwhile enjoy the Hong Kong nights :)

The bolded area is some good advice. Having been here since 1995, I have found it good to take some time off, reset, and then come back fresh. I have done it twice since 95, and it makes me appreciate this site more. Folks also get a break from my cyberbulling(LOLOLOLOL)

Smokey
11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Folks also get a break from my cyberbulling(LOLOLOLOL)

Then he need to take couple of years off :D

GMichael
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
In case no one has noticed (I know at least one who did) I have not posted or even bothered to read anything on this site for several weeks. I got tired of all the BS that was going on. I even deleted the site from my favorites, but I didn't make a point of leaving then. I just went my own way. If someone hadn't invited me back, I wouldn't even be posting this now.

I've never understood why anyone would take the time to say there were leaving other than to draw attention to themselves like a spoiled child.

I say, "bravo!" to the mods for stepping up and cleaning house. It is not something that has been done much in the past. Most of the time they let us do our own thing. It was time, and something had to be done. Maybe I'll poke around here again for a while to see if the hostility has calmed down.

RGA & Feanor,

I hope to see more of your posts here again. I've enjoyed reading "most" of what you've both had to say over the years.

11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Then he need to take couple of years off :D

I did smarty pants...LOLOLOL

11-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Since this is my last chance....

Dont let the door hit you on your way out....

Boom :-)

Ouch! I don't even want to know what you'll say about me when I leave. LOLOL

tube fan
11-30-2012, 07:41 PM

There is a very simple solution: we need an "ignore" feature on this site. Then, if you don't want to see someone's posts, you can eliminate them.

JohnMichael
12-01-2012, 02:39 AM
There is a very simple solution: we need an "ignore" feature on this site. Then, if you don't want to see someone's posts, you can eliminate them.

Uh we do. The ignore feature has been avaiable for some time.

manlystanley
12-11-2012, 06:15 PM
I've met some nice people on AR over the years and I've even met some in person and enjoyed our discussions immensely.

I've also enjoyed the well thought out debates - and even the old cable debates back in the late 90s when the forum was crazy busy.

Unfortunately, it's time to leave AR.

It was a fun ride.

Richard G Austen (RGA)

RGA: many good wishes to you. I learned a lot from you....

Best Regards,
Stan