Skyfall [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Skyfall

Worf101
11-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Good if not great. Didn't need to be 2 hours 23 minutes long but it rarely lagged. Nice resetting of the Bond sage BUT I'm not sure Craig wants to stay with it. At the end of the last two Bond films they previewed the title of the next one. Not so this time. Craig is a human, realistic Bond, he gets shot, he bleeds, he hurts, he loves he loses. Friends, lovers and colleagues die. He's Bond fully realized. No gadgets this time, but the old Bond (Connery) is paid tribute to. Bardiem is also a realistic villain with a purpose beyond money or world domination, he want revenge and gets it in spades. Women were swooning in this one, in the audience I mean. Well done, next up Lincoln.

Worf

thekid
11-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Waiting to see both Bond and Lincoln when the kids come home for Thanksgiving. Very curious to see the sets for Lincoln since most of it was shot in Richmond VA. Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis rented houses in the Richmond area for several months while it was shooting.

My daughter's roommate works at a clothing store and waited on Daniel Day Lewis several time times. Apparently he does not pack clothes for when he is on location he just buys clothes locally.

markw
11-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I found this movie somewhat schizophrenic.

It had all the stuff we expect in a Bond movie; Hot women, lots of action, at least one tremendous chase scene, glorious scenery (particularly in the mini-Imax we saw it in) and a relentless villain.

But, while it did pay homage to the traditional Bond we all know and love by going back to te basic Connery "brute force" style of action and creative ingenuity instead of depending on glitzy gadgets. It also brought back one iconic props, and totally obliterating it as if to signify (and celebrate) the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. That theme resonates particularly throughout the last 45 minutes of this movie.

It also seemed to be acknowledging the age of the franchise by replacing old names with new faces so it seems the franchise will continue with much more flavor of the first few movies, with old "relationships" renewed and before the gadgets took over. Who can ever forget the flying AMC Eagle?

But, how long Daniel Craig will remain does seem to be in question. But, over the past 50years, James Bond seems to be able to regenerate into a new body, not unlike Dr. Who, so I don't think that will hinder the franchise, if they choose the replacement carefully. I never really forgave them for Roger Moore.

I purposely tried to avoid any spoilers here so if this seems a bit disjointed well you're just gonna have to see it, aren't ya? Don't worry. You won't regret it.

thekid
11-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Saw it yesterday and thought it was very good!
They managed to do a re-boot and pay an homage to the Bond series at the same time.
The references to the Bond series were subtle (except for one obvious exception) and well done. Had they had Sean Connery play Game Keeper role it would have been a bit blunt and over the top IMO so I think they made the right choice.

Worf101
11-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Saw it yesterday and thought it was very good!
They managed to do a re-boot and pay an homage to the Bond series at the same time.
The references to the Bond series were subtle (except for one obvious exception) and well done. Had they had Sean Connery play Game Keeper role it would have been a bit blunt and over the top IMO so I think they made the right choice.

I personally would've loved it if Connery had been the game keeper. I wonder if'n he wuz asked? I wouldn't have found it blunt at all. I loved seeing Michael Sarazin in the remake of "Fright Night"!

Worf

recoveryone
12-16-2012, 02:31 PM
These last 3 bond films have raised the prestige of the series IMHO, Craig has shown bond as a raw, ruthless, caring and flawed, unlike any of the previous actors. Skyfall is kind of a reboot or swan song, for they have reveiled most of the secrets. The only thing that caught me off guard was that bonds' name was his real name and in all the other films it was a cover name, and they stumble into that notion when the bad guy went by another name and the reveiled his true name.