True high end wireless speaker system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : True high end wireless speaker system

Mr Peabody
11-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Dynaudio Xeo 3 and 5. The speakers are based on the Excite series and have built in amplification, the transmitter module has a variety of inputs and sends the signal to the speakers, no more wires, plus I believe you can have up to 3 pair of speakers run on one transmitter for an easy multiroom set up. This would be a cool way for some one with a computer based system to have a complete system. The bookshelf version is about $2300.00 but considering that would be your entire system and it's Dynaudio.....
Xeo 3 (http://www.dynaudio.com/int/xeo/XEO_Xeo3.html)

Feanor
11-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Wireless devices of one kind or another as so common today that it's surprising that wireless speakers aren't already more common than they are. Also, the virtues of self-powered, (a.k.a. active) speakers are generally understood.

No doubt there is resistance from audiophiles who hate to give up the prospect of tweaking there systems with separate amplifiers and speaker cables.

Mr Peabody
11-12-2012, 08:04 AM
I guess it depends on your apllication as to whether it would totally take the place of an entire system. I had a chance to win a set through a Facebook entry but didn't win the contest.

Hyfi
11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Mr P, have you had a chance to hear them yet? I saw this when they first were announced.

Like you said to Feanor, it's all about the amp. Are the Amps that are built in as good as what most of us use to drive regular Danes? My guess is No but they are sufficient for the person who wants to compromise and have decent speakers in a wireless setup.

E-Stat
11-12-2012, 08:35 AM
No doubt there is resistance from audiophiles who hate to give up the prospect of tweaking there systems with separate amplifiers and speaker cables.
Powered speakers wouldn't work in my HT because of a lack of close AC outlets to the rear speakers.

I did, however, enjoy the powered Acoustat X back in the day. That was when I started making my own interconnects using (relatively) low capacitance Belden cable. Unfortunately, the Servo Charge amps were not as good as was available only a few years later. It was in '81 I purchased the Threshold Stasis to drive them.

Mr Peabody
11-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Yes and no, I did hear them in passing through the store but unfortunately didn't give them a close listen, I didn't realize what they were at the time and I had other things on my mind. They use a 50 watt Class D amp on each driver, I suspect being from Dynaudio they are pretty good but may not be up to par with many of our stand alone amps we are using now.

E-Stat
11-12-2012, 08:45 AM
...they are pretty good but may not be up to par with many of our stand alone amps we are using now.
That was the fate of tri-amped Braun LV-1020s I used from '74 to '76.

harley .guy07
11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I have read about them and from what I have heard they are getting very high praises and they are a great idea for a living room or a room where you want great sound and not a lot of gear in the room. With the quality of some of the new class D amps out there they might be quite a surprise by how good they are but you are probably right by the fact that you could do better by a stand alone amplifier class D or otherwise. I am loving the way my dynaudio's sound with my class d sds-440 amp and have really never heard them sound better in my opinion but I do not have access to the equipment to demo like Mr. P does.

manlystanley
12-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Dynaudio Xeo 3 and 5. The speakers are based on the Excite series and have built in amplification, the transmitter module has a variety of inputs and sends the signal to the speakers, no more wires, plus I believe you can have up to 3 pair of speakers run on one transmitter for an easy multiroom set up. This would be a cool way for some one with a computer based system to have a complete system. The bookshelf version is about $2300.00 but considering that would be your entire system and it's Dynaudio.....
Xeo 3 (http://www.dynaudio.com/int/xeo/XEO_Xeo3.html)

Something else to think of, is take out some dry wall and run speaker wires behind the walls. I'll be taking out drywall to put in my latest set of in wall speakers. Not easy, but not too bad.

If you need to drill a hole in studs or joists, make sure the holes in the middle of them. Too close to the edge can cause structural problems.

But, when I do plumbing or electrical work, I'm always drilling holes. The county inspectors always check out the location, but I never had had problems. This would be cheaper and give lots more options for speakers.

Best regards,
Stan

manlystanley
12-13-2012, 03:41 AM
Something else to think of, is take out some dry wall and run speaker wires behind the walls. I'll be taking out drywall to put in my latest set of in wall speakers. Not easy, but not too bad.

So, I got my in-walls last night. Figured out how to run them. Got the tools out.

-- My wife, says: "Stan what are you doing?"
-- I say" Oh, not much, going to open up this wall, that wall, this ceiling, that ceiling, etc, etec, etc.
--My wife: "No way!"
--I say: "It will only take a day or two"
--My wife says: "Like moving the laundry room to the second floor. That was supposed to take 2 months. It took almost a year!"

-- Contacted Amazon, speakers going back........ Cost me $17 bucks in shipping.

Note to self: Start a project like this when my wife is out for the night with friends.......

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
12-13-2012, 08:42 PM
LOL, Stan, you didn't think just to maybe run it by her? What brand were they?

manlystanley
12-14-2012, 05:15 AM
LOL, Stan, you didn't think just to maybe run it by her? What brand were they?

Umm.. Run it by her? Hmmmmm.... Now that's a novel idea.

This is our third fixer upper. The last one, bought it from the bankrupcy court, and the house was one construction project after another for 9 years. But, made a very nice profit, when I sold it in the Summer of 2011 (even with the real-estate meltdown).

Then my employer moved to Maryland and offered to pay all my moving expenses. I thought, this is a perfect time to buy another 'deal'.

Have done tons of work in the new house. Lot's of smaller projects left, but have three big projects planned:

--Rip out the master shower (it leaks in the dining room beow). My last house had the same problem. Fixed it by re-caulking everyting. But, this house, I think they used the wrong type of shower pan, so got to: rip out dinning room ceiling, rip out shower above it. Re-do everything.

-- Then the kitchen needs to be totally ripped out (down to studs and floor joists). Redo that.

-- In my basement media room, wires all on the floor and wall. Will be putting them behind the walls.

But, got a $250K discount on the current house. So, that is nice. Bought the house in a highly desirable area, with good growth potental. I retire in 3-5 years. Hope to do well when I sell it.

In-wall Speakers are OSD Audio ICE850. Did not even try them out.

But, I did try out a pair of OSD Audio RS690 rock speakers. In general, I was not impressed. Thinking of sending them back too.

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
12-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Wow, I wish you were my neighbor being that handy :)